Is it worth it for me?

Connection issues, drop outs or speed related faults for ADSL and ADSL2+ services
Better Gary

Is it worth it for me?

Post by Better Gary » Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:14 pm

With the recent dropping of old plans 1500C, and the need to find a new suitable plan, Im looking at the T8-60 (8192-384). Im wondering if my line speed will get the benefits, or is it at its best around 1500 anyway?

How can I find out what my physical line is capable of?

I believe my router should handle it, if helpful, my modem is a Netgear Wireless N300 Router, model DGN2000. Im just worried whether I'll be still getting no better speed from paying for a faster connection.

I have used speedtest at OzBroadband but Im unsure if it tests the actual best of the line, or if thats related to the type of braodband Im on now.

Test run on 28/01/2011 @ 04:12 PM

Mirror: Exetel
Data: 3 MB
Test Time: 18.67 secs

Your line speed is 1.31 Mbps (1312 kbps).
Your download speed is 164 KB/s (0.16 MB/s).

Be nice if they used the same definitions.

From what I can tell, it says 1.31 megBITs/s.
And the dl speed of 0.16 is megaBytes/s.

But bits are smaller than bytes? So, Im dl'ing faster than my linespeed? What?
Last edited by Better Gary on Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: Is it worth it for me?

Post by Dazzled » Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:21 pm

Have a peek at the line status recorded by your modem. 1500 plans have the speed capped and the SNR margin raised, but the modem will give the current max rate, and the attenuation as tested when the modem booted. ADSL2 uses higher frequencies, but it's an indication.

vbap

Post by vbap » Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:21 pm

Go to http://www.adsl2exchanges.com.au

In top left, enter your home phone number (or address) and you will get some details of what you can expect, and which services are available

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:25 pm

Certainly a site worth looking up, but take their speed estimate with a lump of rock salt.

vbap

Post by vbap » Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:29 pm

Yes, but it has not been too far off the mark for the searches I've done (provided you have realistic expectations!)

Should mention, definitely put in your address for an indication of where you are in relation to your local Exchange.

Better Gary

Post by Better Gary » Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:41 pm

vbap wrote:Go to http://www.adsl2exchanges.com.au

In top left, enter your home phone number (or address) and you will get some details of what you can expect, and which services are available
Well that didnt help. Thanks though.

The estimate section is blank. ADSL1 and 2 active, and available now, but the estimate column is blank. Tried in Opera, Firefox and Explorer. I probably around 1-2 kms from the exchange as the crow flies.

now to look up the info in the modem. How exactly does one do that?

vbap

Post by vbap » Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:48 pm

Better Gary wrote: Well that didnt help. Thanks though.

The estimate section is blank. ADSL1 and 2 active, and available now, but the estimate column is blank. Tried in Opera, Firefox and Explorer. I probably around 1-2 kms from the exchange as the crow flies.
Put your address in in order to get estimate of distance from the exchange as well as speed "estimate" - this will be presented on the Map.

The "Estimate" column (next to the ISP names) is an Estimate of when ADSL2 will be available in that exchange for that ISP, not an estimate of speed! (This site was built during the period where ADSL2 was ramping up around the country).

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:49 pm

Modems convert the analogue line signals to bits. Network hardware reports speeds in bits/sec as passed to ethernet systems. What is coming through after the modem conversion are digital packets, each containing several control headers essential for addressing etc, and a data portion. Your Exetel metered usage includes all the headers.

The packets are collected by the computer, the headers discarded, and the data assembled in a stream to build a file or pass to a browser. Browser speed tests are timed file downloads, and only measure the assembled stream, which is all the browser sees. File bytes/sec is computed.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:56 pm

Go to 192.168.0.1 in a browser. Login as admin. Default password is password. In the main menu, under Maintenance, select Router Status to display the Router Status screen. Press Show Statistics.

Better Gary

Post by Better Gary » Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:19 pm

Sorry for the delay, I had a crash.

Is this the stuff you mean?

Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
WAN PPPoE 8832845 8178544 0 18939 21259 50:27:58
LAN 10M/100M 8194997 8906035 0 22119 19921 50:28:22
WLAN 11M/54M/130M 0 0 0 0 0 00:00:00

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 1536 kbps 256 kbps
Line Attenuation 14.0 db 7.5 db
Noise Margin 30.1 db 31.0 db

Better Gary

Post by Better Gary » Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:21 pm

vbap wrote:
Better Gary wrote: Well that didnt help. Thanks though.

Put your address in in order to get estimate of distance from the exchange as well as speed "estimate" - this will be presented on the Map.

The "Estimate" column (next to the ISP names) is an Estimate of when ADSL2 will be available in that exchange for that ISP, not an estimate of speed! (This site was built during the period where ADSL2 was ramping up around the country).
All i got was a map in Firefox, and some advertised ISP's etc. In Opera I didnt even get the map. But in none of them, did I get any data to tell me about line speeds etc. Not that i could see there anyway.

Its probably me though.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:31 pm

Those modem tests were done using ADSL1 frequencies. I like a better than average 14 dB attenuation. You are only a bit over 2 km from the exchange, and that huge 30 dB noise margin caused by capping can be whittled away to a to give a respectable 8k plan speed.

Notice BTW, the difference from the earlier browser test - you are getting a true 1536/256 kbps line speed.

PS adsl2exchanges works properly in Opera. I use it myself.

Edit: I forgot you were after 8k ADSL1 and removed the ADSL2 comments I made.

Better Gary

Post by Better Gary » Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:50 pm

Dazzled wrote:Those modem tests were done using ADSL1 frequencies. ADSL2 uses higher frequencies, but I like a better than average 14 dB attenuation. You are only a bit over 2 km from the exchange, and that huge 30 dB noise margin caused by capping can be whittled away to a minimum, to give respectable (8k plan speed).

Notice BTW, the difference from the earlier browser test - you are getting a true 1536/256 kbps line speed.

PS adsl2exchanges works properly in Opera. I use it myself.
Ive found some websites seem to cause issues with displaying in Opera. I still like it better (speed dial is such an obvious and cool feature) than FF and Explorer which I just boot up when Opera seems to not want to play with the features of a particular site. Maybe its my settings, its much more user involved and well Im no expert. :P

Insert Mr Burns image, "Excellent!".

Cheers peoples.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:18 pm

Opera in most respects is the one the others try to keep up with. The attraction to me is its massive user configurability, feature list, and ease of running user scripts and style sheets. Opera is fully compliant with the web standards. Unfortunately a lot of sites are written to favour the non-compliant IE. Compliant browsers like FF usually bend towards recognising these atrocities, but Opera is less inclined to, though it does for some MS errors. These sites normally fall into line if you right click "Edit Site Preferences", select the network tab, and tell Opera to Mask as Firefox. Opera then looks like FF to the web server and to most javascripts.

Give yourself a leg up by going through the tweaks and hints at the independent http://operawiki.info/Opera. Also look at http://www.fanboy.co.nz/adblock/opera/ for a pre-filled in ad and nasties block list.

Because of a commmercial tie with Yahoo the default searches are atrocious. Don't worry, the file search.ini can be customised to do some very clever look ups. Mine defaults to Google Aust, before Google US, and a range of special engines and inquiries,

Better Gary

Post by Better Gary » Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:27 pm

Dazzled wrote:Opera in most respects is the one the others try to keep up with. The attraction to me is its massive user configurability, feature list, and ease of running user scripts and style sheets. Opera is fully compliant with the web standards. Unfortunately a lot of sites are written to favour the non-compliant IE. Compliant browsers like FF usually bend towards recognising these atrocities, but Opera is less inclined to, though it does for some MS errors. These sites normally fall into line if you right click "Edit Site Preferences", select the network tab, and tell Opera to Mask as Firefox. Opera then looks like FF to the web server and to most javascripts. Give yourself a leg up by going through the tweaks and hints at the independent http://operawiki.info/Opera. Also look at http://www.fanboy.co.nz/adblock/opera/ for a pre-filled in ad and nasties block list.
I have the block list, I believe its the same one too, fanboys.

Thanks for the wiki link though and Id never heard of the masking thing. I will have to browse around. It was the one thing I liked about FF, adblock plus and no script made it pretty easy to use. but I agree, once youve used Opera, its hard to use the others just on sheer ugliness of them.

With the masking thing, is it worth just leaving that feature active as FF, or selectively doing it?

Edit: I just noticed it only selects it for the particular site, thus 'site preferences'. DOH!
I used it for the same link above (adsl line test site), but it still wont show the map.
Last edited by Better Gary on Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.