Is it worth it for me?

Connection issues, drop outs or speed related faults for ADSL and ADSL2+ services
Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: Is it worth it for me?

Post by Dazzled » Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:37 pm

I mask selectively. It's not many sites in practice, and you soon find them - usually, surprisingly, sites under the control of "professionals", like banks, insurance companies, and newspapers. Pretty well always all-Microsoft shops. Now that IE is coming into line this problem will pass.

Enjoy the wiki. You should look into search.ini soon, and I should also have mentioned the forum at http://my.opera.com/community/forums/. That site has skins and things too. A hint - on the bottom margin of the browser is an icon that looks like > < called Fit to Width. Can be very handy.

PS One of the weird things you can do is right click to bookmark, and from the popup select Details, and click show in panel. The site then becomes a side panel. If there is somewhere you are always at, or has useful links, you can park it here, even if only temporarily.

Ps for your edit:
adsl2exchanges shows the maps as a series of tiled images. They are suppressed by a tick box in the top left.

Better Gary

Post by Better Gary » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:04 pm

Dazzled wrote:I mask selectively. It's not many sites in practice, and you soon find them - usually, surprisingly, sites under the control of "professionals", like banks, insurance companies, and newspapers. Pretty well always all-Microsoft shops. Now that IE is coming into line this problem will pass.

Enjoy the wiki. You should look into search.ini soon, and I should also have mentioned the forum at http://my.opera.com/community/forums/. That site has skins and things too. A hint - on the bottom margin of the browser is an icon that looks like > < called Fit to Width. Can be very handy.

PS One of the weird things you can do is right click to bookmark, and from the popup select Details, and click show in panel. The site then becomes a side panel. If there is somewhere you are always at, or has useful links, you can park it here, even if only temporarily.
My fit to width says (magnifying glass icon)View (100%) and fit to width is an option in the menu that pops up, i found that one early on. The difference must be a skin thing. Its less of an issue with my new monitor, but with the old monitor I needed it for most sites lol.

Took me a minute to work out what you meant by side panel. But I just found it, very cool. Ive been told there is so much in this app that i have no clue about. It just gets better and better. I love the password manager but Im yet to find a way to list them. I had some issues with moving bookmarks from FF too but got that sorted. Now i have a back up copy just in case something happens.

As per edit: I noticed the check box to hide images, but its clear. Ive noticed a few sites give me grief, it may have something to do with some of the blocking scripts I wrote early on for particular forums.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:48 pm

I couldn't live without the wand - it handles the Exetel logins for me. But the entries aren't stored human readable and listable; you'll find wand.dat is encrypted. There is a way to retrieve a password though - this will fill in a password and enter a site, and then tell you what the password just entered was (so never put a bank password in the wand)!

Code: Select all

opera:/button/Wand%20&%20Go%20to%20page,%20%22javascript:(function(){var%20s,F,j,f,i;%20s='';%20F=document.forms;%20for(j=0;%20j%3CF.length;%20++j){f=F[j];%20for(i=0;%20i%3Cf.length;%20++i){if(f[i].type%20&&%20f[i].type.toLowerCase()=='password')s+=f[i].value+'%5cn';}}if(s)alert('Passwords%20in%20forms%20on%20this%20page:%5cn%5cn'+s);else%20alert('There%20are%20no%20passwords%20in%20forms%20on%20this%20page.');})();%22,1,,%22Wand%22
It is just some javascript crammed up. Put it in a button. Operawiki has links to all this stuff.

Here is another godsend. http://www.puzzleclub.ru/ has some good stuff, but the site is in Russian. Here is a user javascript from there that will download youtube videos efficiently - it puts a menu line at the top of the window when you browse a video in the usual way, and starts the Opera downloader. Save http://www.puzzleclub.ru/files/youtube_com.js