Random Dropouts Over The Last 2 Days.

Connection issues, drop outs or speed related faults for ADSL and ADSL2+ services
BattleSpunk

Random Dropouts Over The Last 2 Days.

Post by BattleSpunk » Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:47 pm

Hi,

I'm on a naked connection with plan Z/23NOTEL on the New Farm exchange. For the last 2 days now, my connection has been experiencing either major lag spikes or dropouts throughout the day. I believe this is not from my end as the connection has been running for a year and nothing has been changed here. The modem itself gets disconnected. Each time this happens, it disconnect and reconnect, lasting for about an hour. Then it will go away for a number of hours and come back. As I am a gamer, this really sucked yesterday for working on something for 3 hours, just to have it stuff up at the end because my connection disconnected and made it unplayable. Could someone please help me fix this issue or give me a heads up to when this will be fixed.

Best Regards,
BattleSpunk.

Klaas

Re: Random Dropouts Over The Last 2 Days.

Post by Klaas » Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:49 pm

Drop outs are generally line quality related.

Was the New Farm area affected by the flooding - if so, the drop outs could be related to either damage to, or work being done on damage to, the local infrastructure.

But first, we need to establish if you line is behaving itself. Can you post the modem statistics (sync rate, line attenuation, etc.)?

I'd also recommend doing an isolation test - remove everything from the phone line apart from the modem, and see if you still get drop outs. This will help identify if something is causing a problem on the line internally or externally.

BattleSpunk

Post by BattleSpunk » Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:10 pm

Lower was, but not where I am and I am only around 600m from my local exchange, I still had internet throughout the flooding. The line has never had anything else plugged into it, so it has always been isolated.

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 16844 kbps 812 kbps
Line Attenuation 17.0 db 8.6 db
Noise Margin 13.4 db 17.3 db

At times when it is dropping out, it only syncs at around 10mbps, my average sync rate is usually 17-18mbps.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:45 pm

As Klaas said, it's nearly always noise on the line, too much for the noise margin. A modem in isolation test will ensure that the cause isn't at home. You will likely find worse attenuation when the trouble is about (hence speed reduction). When you are sure it isn't you, you can email support, because you don't want a sent-out tech to point his expensive finger at you.

A possibility is that some part of the line run to the exchange is being serviced (say for water-affected joints in pits). In this event the techs will break the whole line to make joint replacements etc on each pair, and temporarily cut off a street-full of services. In this case it would be no-speed, not slow-speed.

BattleSpunk

Post by BattleSpunk » Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:53 pm

Yeah, I thought it may have been servicing, but as I haven't recieved any notice and it's happening a second day, I can't be sure. As for my modem, it is always isolated as I have no phone service, so there is nothing to affect it.