Sync Speed Now Lower.

Connection issues, drop outs or speed related faults for ADSL and ADSL2+ services
kjd

Sync Speed Now Lower.

Post by kjd » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:11 am

G'day All,

Just wondering why my sync speed could be down compared to before.
I'm on Telstra's ADSL2 I use to get sync speeds of 10-12mbps now the best I can do is 8mbps.
Any reasons why this should change?

ShaminG
Exetel Staff

Re: Sync Speed Now Lower.

Post by ShaminG » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:59 am

Could you please first run an Isolation test and re check the speed of your connection. If there is no improvement in the speed please send an email to residentialsupport@exetel.com.au with the forum link.

kjd

Post by kjd » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:57 pm

ShaminG wrote:Could you please first run an Isolation test and re check the speed of your connection. If there is no improvement in the speed please send an email to residentialsupport@exetel.com.au with the forum link.
Done.

kjd

Post by kjd » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:17 pm

Ok Guys,

I've done the support thing, They are not helping, they say because I am getting above 1.5mpbs its not a problem but I used to get 12mbps, now I get between 6 and 8. The other thing I confirmed tonight is that the internet also drops out on occasion. I suspected this earlier but did not say anything as I could not confirm it until I watched it happen in front of my eyes a couple of time (I've also noticed my sync speed changes a couple of times a day).

I've done the following:
Several isolation tests
Tried 3 different ADSL2+ Modems (two netgear and one DLink)
Tried 3 different phone cables between the modem and the wall
Factory reset two modems and enter in the settings I was told to in the Email.

Whilst there once was a telstra contractor here (2 years ago) who did a test, they cut our line and said they would be back to repair it properly (as the did a temp repair) but they never returned, that being said we never had an issue with service.
There is no audible line noise when you pick up the telephone.

Nothing is working, we haven't had significant amounts of rain in a while either.
Could Telstra have swapped ports at the exchange or something like that as I am 100% sure it is not my equipment as I have tested multiple types of modems and cables.
My support reference number is:
Exetel Residential Support #3637714

So please help me.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:48 pm

1.5 Mbps is Telstra's idea of an adequate line for internet. As we all know, most can do better despite carrying a very weak signal. However a noisy line will slow you down, and if sufficiently noisy will drop you out when the modem digital conversion/demodulation algorithm cannot decode the signal. Noise can be from an external source, or may also be added to the line by something at home, which is often detected by an isolation test, as was requested above.

What is the line status (rate, attenuation, SNR margin) reported by your modem? How far from the exchange are you? Does the line status change when the modem is rebooted in isolation? When you say the sync speed changes, is that the modem line rate that is changing?

kjd

Post by kjd » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:04 pm

Dazzled wrote:1.5 Mbps is Telstra's idea of an adequate line for internet. As we all know, most can do better despite carrying a very weak signal. However a noisy line will slow you down, and if sufficiently noisy will drop you out when the modem digital conversion/demodulation algorithm cannot decode the signal. Noise can be from an external source, or may also be added to the line by something at home, which is often detected by an isolation test, as was requested above.

What is the line status (rate, attenuation, SNR margin) reported by your modem? How far from the exchange are you? Does the line status change when the modem is rebooted in isolation? When you say the sync speed changes, is that the modem line rate that is changing?
Modem info:

VPI 8
VCI 35

Connection Speed 6567 kbps 1020 kbps
Line Attenuation 40.0 db 19.6 db
Noise Margin 5.6 db 6.5 db

Line of Sight: 1534 m
Estimated Cable: 2224 m
Estimated Maximum Speed: 12666 <<< WHICH IS WHAT I WAS GETTING.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:32 pm

The line rate is as expected for 40 dB attenuation. At your crow-flying distance, if the line follows a directly orthogonal route through grid-iron streets, you might expect round about 30 dB, which could allow your previous speed. If your line really is a short one, there has been some degradation, such as a failing joint. Did it change under isolation? Exetel staff have access to the true line length.

The noise margin is minimal, so a noise burst could well drop you. Do you have any modem status from when the drop-outs occurred? Do you have the modem log? I wouldn't worry about exchange ports yet.

Sorry to interrogate you, but you need some data (including the isolation figures) for support to be able to follow up. Drop outs need to be sorted, and an established drop out history can get things moving.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:26 am

kjd wrote:I've done the support thing, They are not helping, they say because I am getting above 1.5mpbs its not a problem but I used to get 12mbps, now I get between 6 and 8.
This is not unheard of. Such drops can occur quite naturally due to infrastructure upgrades, etc. Ultimately I do not think you have any recourse as you are in fact getting close to average speeds for ADSL2+ and much higher than the speeds deemed "adequate" by the industry.
kjd wrote:The other thing I confirmed tonight is that the internet also drops out on occasion
Again, not unheard of. Drop outs every 1-2 days (or less frequently) are quite normal for ADSL. If it is more frequent than this, or if the drop outs last more than, say, 5 minutes at a time then this would be more indicative of a problem. But modem re-negotiations once a day are fairly typical for some areas. You might find that your speeds improve and the dropouts cease some time in the near future as it might be related to some work being done (road or phone line works, etc) but I don't think there is anything that you or Exetel can do to fix this issue
I am a volunteer moderator and not an Exetel staff member. As with all forum posts, mine do not constitute any "official" Exetel position. Support tickets may be logged via https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au