ADSL 2 Connection Slow

Connection issues, drop outs or speed related faults for ADSL and ADSL2+ services
ennzed

ADSL 2 Connection Slow

Post by ennzed » Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:01 pm

Is anyone else experiencing a slow connection in NSW? I'm running the exetel speed test and getting back between 3-6mb speeds. Normally its up around 16mb.

Korobushka

Re: ADSL 2 Connection Slow

Post by Korobushka » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:20 pm

yep same here, i actually lost connection today (altho it may have been on my end as a restart fixed the problem). but over the last 2 weeks i have been experiencing slower web loading (lots of time outs), youtube at 50% speed it used to be, msn dropping out.

speedtest says 0.97MB d/l, 0.81MB u/l.

which is odd considering i was maxing out utorrent last night

Mail2me

Post by Mail2me » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:07 am

My speed dropped significantly for the last five months - from 4-6Mbit/sec to 1.85 max on ADLS2+. I am in Sydney in about 1.2-1.5km from the exchange. I haven't changed a single thing in my hardware configuration for the last 12 months. I sent speedtest.net results to Exetel support (Aline-?) last night and she suggested to get isolation test done. I guess they just want to shift the blame to someone else rather than admitting own problems. I wonder if Modem/User ration dropped in Exetel connections in Sydney for the same 5-6 months. Exetel provided high volume plans recently, but this is pointless as speed went down.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:44 am

Mail2me, I have a common or garden Exetel plan, and my rate hasn't altered over time. Neither have those of the customers I assist. Exetel equipment capacity is quite sufficient. There are graphs in the user facility that show the throughput. Let's look at the problem--

Speedtest.net is only a timed binary browser download. It's a useful indicator, but not definitive. What is the line status recorded in your modem? Has the attenuation changed markedly?

The isolation test was good advice, and has nothing to do with blame shifting. The most common cause of slowing speed, whatever the ISP at the other end, is phone line noise, and it is frequently from a domestic source. If your line is troubled by noise, the modem-in-isolation test is a simple way to rule out any of your attached devices, filters, faxes, alarms, foxtel, cables, etc being responsible. That makes it simpler to look for external line noise.

Have you tried any of the "flood" tests - 3 simultaneous browser downloads from very fast local servers (eg microsoft, apple); or a multithreaded download manager connection to the same servers; or a really well supported (100+ peers) torrent download such as 32 bit Ubuntu using a properly configured client? All of these should, after adding packet overhead, reach your modem rate.

Mail2me

Post by Mail2me » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:53 am

Ok ,thanks, I will try, I just checked adsl2exchanges.com.au and it says 420m from the exchange, estimated cable length 700m, estimated speed 23K. Unless ADSL-2 filter stopped working I can't see any changes on my site. I have Linux box for torrents and PC with Win7Pro and this was like that for last 12 months. I can't get download speed above 220kB/sec from any torrent source these days. I used to see 550-600 kB/sec 5-6 months ago.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:09 am

Try this torrent: http://releases.ubuntu.com/maverick/ubu ... so.torrent. My preferred clients are Deluge (Python script under a GUI) and rtorrent (command line). While you look up your modem, if it's old, see if you can find it's max number of connections. For example, on the telnet interface, cat /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_conntrack_max. Mine maxes at 500 (most newer modems are similar), and I have Deluge set at 450.

The Akamai servers to aim at are the download sites for Microsoft and Apple, both co-located with Exetel, and therefore close on the network.

Your simplest download managers with good speed reporting are wget, curl (single thread), and axel (multithread), all command line. There is a Gnome GUI downloader called Gwget. I'd use your Linux box for testing because you have better network tools available, and no malware suite running to complicate things. The standard tabbed browsers (FF, Konqueror, Opera etc) are suitable for the 3 at once download.

If that distance estimate is correct, you should see low line attenuation.

Pfitzy

Post by Pfitzy » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:03 am

I updated my router to the Billion 7404VNPX and now my connection is flakey as hell. Anyone got advice on this router?

I put in a service call last night after repeated failed connections (xDSL line not sychronised) and it came good (if slow like 3mbps) but now its back again.
Friendly fire, isn't...

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:35 am

Pfitzy, I can't see the attraction of Billions myself, but if you think the line's alright, do a search on coding gain. Outbush on this forum once suggested starting at 5.

Pfitzy

Post by Pfitzy » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:35 pm

:) I've had a pretty good run with Billion since my first ADSL1 modem way back when. ;)

I tried the coding gain adjustment and that has given me an immediate speed improvement so I'll keep an eye on it.

On the Billion thing - it hasn't all been happy camping, but generally speaking they've got a good feature set if I ever need it.
Friendly fire, isn't...

firefly2560

Post by firefly2560 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:02 pm

I've noticed a lot of dropouts lately. I use RouterStats Lite to monitor speed. Normally, connection speed is around 4.1 - 4.5, but lately, it's been dropping to 2.5. Also, sometimes I can't connect to web pages, even though the connection speed still shows as connected. Rebooting the rounter (Netgear DG834) generally fixes the problem, but doesn't always fix the slow speed. I've had to reboot about five times this week. Normally, I reboot the router less than once a year. Any suggestions, anyone?

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:35 pm

I understand RouterStats-lite to be a very simple monitor of the modem on the telnet interface, to graph downstream rate and SNR margin against time intervals. (It's a compiled exe file of a couple of megs for Windows. You could do the same in a dozen lines of a script on other systems). These are data from the modem function. About the times you drop, could you get and post the full modem line stats - attenuation, rate and margin for each direction?

Modems have the job of converting an analogue line signal to a digital ethernet one, and can run into error if noise overwhelms the weak signal. They usually log the error and simply stop. When you reboot, the line is retested and off you go again until the next noisy interruption. With some brands the error log has useful understandable info. At other times the noise burst may be contained by raising the noise margin (see your RouterStats graphs), which simultaneously lowers the speed.

Assuming the modem isn't flaky, nearly all drop outs are caused by line noise, which can be from some outside cause, or could come from your own equipment. To rule out the latter, could you test the modem in isolation (ie, at first phone point with ALL other phone devices unplugged, including filters, phones, alarms, faxes, foxtel, etc). If it comes good, replace and retest until you find the source. If the source proves to be external, Exetel may ask you to stay isolated while they test the external line, but the first step is the ordinary isolation test. Before you test, because phone cords are unshielded, keep them short, and check they are away from any electrical equipment.

firefly2560

Post by firefly2560 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:50 pm

Thanks, Dazzled. I've just rebooted the PC for a video driver upgrade, so I've lost today's graphs (RouterStats does allow you to save them, but it's a manual step). I'll leave it running overnight and check again tomorrow. Some of the droputs did seem to coincide with fluctuations in Noise margin, but sometimes that was with a drop in noise, not an increase.

Line speed after the reboot is still only 2.7, with a Noise margin of 6 dB

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:57 pm

We'll see what status info you can find, but 6 dB is minimal. The modem didn't experience much trouble when this was set, but it leaves very little headroom for line noise. If Exetel were to set a stability profile from the exchange end, this value would be raised significantly.

When you post the attenuation, try an estimate of the distance to the exchange as well.

wadeholmes

Post by wadeholmes » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:40 pm

anyone got any issues tonight? on a speedtest I'm down to a 1.5adsl speeds! (usually at 14000 adsl2+ speed)

punjabiz

Post by punjabiz » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:08 pm

Quite ridiculous at current I'm getting 70kbps on a 10mbit connection...