OCV200 switchover difficulties

Connection issues, drop outs or speed related faults for ADSL and ADSL2+ services
australiana

OCV200 switchover difficulties

Post by australiana » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:40 pm

This is a support issue but I don't think I am getting the right answer from Support.

The first day of the new plan (Feb 1) our ADSL service stopped working around midday. I assumed that the switchover to the new PSTN was occurring however ADSL service did not resume and neither was there a PSTN line. I lodged a fault with Support on Feb 1 and on Feb 3 got this response:

"We have been informed by our wholesale supplier that the PSTN number is still pending for activation due to an IT issue at their end.

The issue has been escalated and the ETA for activation is close of business today or latest by tomorrow morning."

On Feb 4 I was told:

"Your PSTN number has now been fully activated."

However it wasn't working and after phone contact I got this email:

"we received an update by the supplier as they confirm service should be restored by 07th of February 2011 close of business. This may involve a technician attending the premises. You are not required for this."

Service was not restored and now Support are telling me that the problem must be with my equipment and I should pay to get a private technician to fix it. I can't totally exclude the possibility that there has been a failure with my equipment but it does seem a huge coincidence that such a failure occurred on the day my service was being changed and after there have been the problems at the Optus end revealed above. It still seems likely to me that Optus has still not properly connected me and that is the real reason for the lack of service.

I'd appreciate constructive suggestions about what my next step should be.

Gidget
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: OCV200 switchover difficulties

Post by Gidget » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:26 pm

Hi australiana

Are you saying that your landline is still non-functional (i.e. no dial tone, no calls in or out, no line sync and no ADSL service)? If so, it seems unlikely to me that the problem is at your end.

If you let me have your Ticket Number that you raised with Support I'll have a look for you and see if I can work out what is going on and escalate the issue within Exetel if required.

Gidget
Log a fault ticket here
or call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)
Exetel Support Portal

australiana

Post by australiana » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:00 pm

Hi Gidget,
Thanks, there is no service - ie yes to all the questions above. Ticket Number: 3637710

Gidget
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Gidget » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:38 pm

Hi Australiana

I've read through your Ticket now - your PSTN/ADSL services have been confirmed to be functioning between the Exchange and the MDF (main distribution frame) in your building. I suspect that the cabling to the socket in your premises is also okay. That leaves, as Optus and Exetel have determined, a problem inside your actual premises.

I presume that in moving to the OCV200 service you have added (at least) some cabling and a filter and attached a phone to the wall socket. This activity may have caused the problem, for example:

1) Your wall socket is dodgy and has a problem (exacerbated by plugging things in and out) and/or
2) A cable you are now using that was not previously in use is faulty and/or
3) A filter you are now using that was not previously in use (because you had a Naked service) is faulty and/or
4) The telephone handset you are using is faulty

Is is unlikely that your modem has developed a fault - the answer is more likely to lie with 1) to 4) above.

What you need to do next is go back to first principles - check the wall socket, replace everything attached to it and see if that makes a difference.

Post again when you have done these tests and let us know how you got on.

Gidget
Log a fault ticket here
Exetel Support Portal

australiana

Post by australiana » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:47 am

Hi Gidget,
Thanks for explainining everything so clearly (Exetel should employ you to rewrite some of their user instructions, many of which are not so clear).

I had tried 2,3 and 4 already which leaves me with the wallsocket. It is fairly old but has not been a problem - nevertheless I'm going to get it replaced this afternoon and, if necessary, checked from the MDF side.

I'll report back on how it goes. In the meantime - once I work out which deity is best trained to oversee technical repairs - I will be fervently praying

Gidget
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Gidget » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:25 am

Hi australiana

Good luck with the deity :D

Although I think a problem between the MDF and your wall socket is the least likely, it is certainly wise to get it checked out (as you plan to do) because as Sherlock Holmes once famously said "When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth".

Gidget
Log a fault ticket here
Exetel Support Portal

australiana

Post by australiana » Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:26 pm

Well the verdict is in and the 'subscriber-side' line is the guilty party. The electrician was able to find another working pair in the same line and service is fully restored.

St Lucy is the patron saint of electricians and I directed all my prayers her way. It worked like a charm and I now believe in god and St Lucy - she really is a great old bird.

Gidget
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Gidget » Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:33 pm

Hi australiana

Great to hear you are back online :D

Thanks for the tip about St Lucy, I'll keep her in mind for the future :lol:

Gidget
Log a fault ticket here
Exetel Support Portal

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:49 pm

Patron of the blind, Gidget.

(No wonder electricians/cablers are fond of her)