ADSL2 bundle with Telstra

Connection issues, drop outs or speed related faults for ADSL and ADSL2+ services
Yabbie

ADSL2 bundle with Telstra

Post by Yabbie » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:13 pm

From the Exetel Newsletter:

New Ability To ‘Bundle’ PSTN Services On Telstra Plans

Exetel has re-signed its supply agreement with Telstra Wholesale. One of the new provisions is to allow Exetel to provide a Telstra PSTN line with any Telstra Infrastructure ADSL 1 or ADSL2 service.

This option is available on all new services and will also be available for current Telstra plan users to ‘upgrade’ to from the Exetel User Facilities by the time you receive this newsletter.

The cost of the telephone line is $30.00 per month and the call costs are low compared to most other provider’s costs that we have looked at:

---------------------------------------------------------------
So, where are these plans? When I look in my user facilities, the only plans that look "right" are OT60 (for example), but reading further down, the call costs are in relation to the Optus network.

I'm currently on the T1.5-30 plan (ADSL1 via Telstra), how do I go about "upgrading" to one of the ADSL2 Telstra "bundled" plans??????

Cheers,
Brad

LarryK

Re: ADSL2 bundle with Telstra

Post by LarryK » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:17 pm

We're working on some things still. No ETA but hopefully it won't be too long away.

Yabbie

Post by Yabbie » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:23 pm

LarryK wrote:We're working on some things still. No ETA but hopefully it won't be too long away.
Ok. Good to know it's not just me being dumb.

Questions:
If I bundle my services, do I get a bill from Exetel or Telstra (my land line is currently with telstra)?
Will there be any "down" time, where I won't have access to my land line phone?

Sorry for the noob questions.

LarryK

Post by LarryK » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:10 pm

Yabbie wrote:Questions:
If I bundle my services, do I get a bill from Exetel or Telstra (my land line is currently with telstra)?
Will there be any "down" time, where I won't have access to my land line phone?
Exetel Bill: Yes, from Exetel for both PSTN/DSL on the Exetel invoice

Downtime: Not too sure of duration of downtime, that'll all be explained on the order forms etc, when we've completed it.

Yabbie

Post by Yabbie » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:14 pm

Thanks Larry.

Another question: Why ADSL2 and not ADSL2+?

Could you please post here when everything is ready to go (ie: the option is in the user facilities).

Cheers,
Brad

Tazz

Post by Tazz » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:30 am

I went looking for this too, only saw the optus plans with phone bundle, but they come up as "You cannot view this page." why is that?

LarryK

Post by LarryK » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:51 am

Yabbie wrote:Another question: Why ADSL2 and not ADSL2+?
I guess we're just lazy fingers when we type ADSL2 and others as ADSL2+

Yabbie

Post by Yabbie » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:29 am

LarryK wrote:
Yabbie wrote:Another question: Why ADSL2 and not ADSL2+?
I guess we're just lazy fingers when we type ADSL2 and others as ADSL2+
I thought that too initially, but when I tried to swap to one of the Optus plans, it said my line speed would be 18000, that's ADSL2, not ADSL2+ which is 24000.

swampwallaby

Post by swampwallaby » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:34 am

This is very exciting news. I have been trying to get rid of Telstra as my primary provider for years.

I also have a few questions:

1. I am currently being charged $6 per month by Telstra for Messagebank so that I can record my own message (The 'free' messagebank service does not let you record a message). What messagebank service will be included in the bundle and what is the charge?

2. I am also being charged $3 per month for a handset rental, which I do have here as an emergency phone when the power fails. What will be the status of this if I change to the Exetel bundle?

3. Telstra charges different amounts for calls to Telstra and non-Telstra mobiles. What will the charging regime be for calls to mobiles in this package?

Thanks.

coconutdog

Post by coconutdog » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:17 pm

Can this be ordered with Telstra Home Line Budget which is $20.95?
Can VoIP be used with this plan?
Will it be available in Wodonga, 3690?

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:04 pm

Yabbie wrote:I thought that too initially, but when I tried to swap to one of the Optus plans, it said my line speed would be 18000, that's ADSL2, not ADSL2+ which is 24000.
I think ADSL2 goes to 12Mbps and ADSL2+ to 24Mbps. But the distinction is irrelevant. In practical terms there is no such thing as "ADSL2" in Australia. Wherever you see it, you should substitute "ADSL2+". The 18Mbps speed is a more real life interpretation of the maximum ADSL2+ speed. So instead of saying "ADSL2+ = up to 24Mbps theoretical speeds" Exetel choose to say "ADSL2+ = up to 18Mbps practical speeds".
I am a volunteer moderator and not an Exetel staff member. As with all forum posts, mine do not constitute any "official" Exetel position. Support tickets may be logged via https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:06 pm

swampwallaby wrote:This is very exciting news. I also have a few questions:
Sorry, but I don't know the answer to any of those questions. If no response, try residentialsales@exetel.com.au
coconutdog wrote:Can this be ordered with Telstra Home Line Budget which is $20.95?
These plans will replace whatever existing HomeLine Budget plan you have with an Exetel-billed version of a HomeLine plan, so the answer to your first question is "not applicable"
VOIP can be used on any service that connects you to the internet, even a dial-up modem (though I'd not recommend it)
I'm sure it will be available everywhere Telstra ADSL2+ is available.
I am a volunteer moderator and not an Exetel staff member. As with all forum posts, mine do not constitute any "official" Exetel position. Support tickets may be logged via https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au

Yabbie

Post by Yabbie » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:09 pm

CoreyPlover wrote:
Yabbie wrote:I thought that too initially, but when I tried to swap to one of the Optus plans, it said my line speed would be 18000, that's ADSL2, not ADSL2+ which is 24000.
I think ADSL2 goes to 12Mbps and ADSL2+ to 24Mbps. But the distinction is irrelevant. In practical terms there is no such thing as "ADSL2" in Australia. Wherever you see it, you should substitute "ADSL2+". The 18Mbps speed is a more real life interpretation of the maximum ADSL2+ speed. So instead of saying "ADSL2+ = up to 24Mbps theoretical speeds" Exetel choose to say "ADSL2+ = up to 18Mbps practical speeds".
Hi Corey,

Thanks for clearing that up.

samarium

Post by samarium » Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:11 pm

CoreyPlover wrote:
coconutdog wrote:Can this be ordered with Telstra Home Line Budget which is $20.95?
These plans will replace whatever existing HomeLine Budget plan you have with an Exetel-billed version of a HomeLine plan, so the answer to your first question is "not applicable"
I don't think that was quite the intend of the question.

I think the answer is "NO", and the questions is more likely rephrased like this:

I have a homeline budget plan.
I pay $20.95/month.
I don't make enough calls (probably zero, may not even have phone connected) to make it worth using a more expensive telstra plan.
Can Exetel provide me with a line + ADSL bundle such that the line component is $20.95/month or less?

If you are on homeline budget then, almost by definition, great phone call rates are irrelevant. You don't make calls on that line so you are only interested in the cheapest line rental. This is my situation, however I was going to wait until the plans were officially posted until I made comment, however ...

swampwallaby

Post by swampwallaby » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:02 pm

swampwallaby wrote:What messagebank service will be included in the bundle and what is the charge?
Reply from Exetel: Kindly note we do not offer messagebank facility with our telephone service.

Well that pretty much knocks it off for me. I would have thought messagbank was pretty much an essential feature.