Acceptable speed for 8Mb service on congested exchange

Connection issues, drop outs or speed related faults for ADSL and ADSL2+ services
flak

Acceptable speed for 8Mb service on congested exchange

Post by flak » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:36 pm

In November last year I got an Exetel 8Mb service in my current rental. The service syncs at 8Mb, but the speed was always extremely variably, rarely hitting 600kB/s, sometimes sinking to 200kB/s, but usually hovering between 300-400kB/s.

This is a far cry from my previous Exetel (Optus) ADSL2 which constantly got over 1200kB/s, but I accepted it and thought it was probably backhaul congestion.

In the past week the speed has been even more variable, and over the weekend sank to a sustained <100kB/s, sometimes below 10kB/s. I conducted the usual reboots and isolation tests, raised a ticket with all the findings, repeated the findings when requested to in the ticket, then on Monday morning speed jumped back up to 400kB/s following a modem reboot.

Later that day, Exetel advised:
Please be advised that our wholesale supplier has investigated the reported issue and advising that the slow speeds are due to congested DSLAM. However there is no ETR on this. Should you require further assistance please reply to this email.
I responded:
Thanks for your response. Please advise what speeds are acceptable for a congested DSLAM? The speeds I reported are well below what I see as acceptable.
They responded:
Unfortunately when your connection is connected with a DSLAM which has network issues currently, we cannot confirm to you which speed is acceptable or the minimum speed that you might get as the speeds can be vary. Current there is no ETR for this network issue.
I responded:
I am currently receiving speeds well below 100kB/s. I do not believe this is acceptable even for a congested/capped DSLAM.

Is there anything that can be done?
When Exetel did not respond the following day, I updated the ticket saying:
Speeds are varying between 400kB/s and 50kB/s. Are the 50kB/s speeds the result of DSLAM congestion?
There has been no response. The ticket shows as open in the helpdesk, but as complete in the user facilities.

I remember reading that Exetel consider anything over 1500kb/s as acceptable for an ADSL or ADSL2 service, but I am getting below 1000kb/s and sometimes below 100kb/s.

Is this really DSLAM congestion or something else?

Speed profile for the last 2 days running NNTP from Astraweb attached.
Attachments
DL_Speed_20110316_2.png
Speed profile for the last 2 days running NNTP from Astraweb
DL_Speed_20110316_2.png (42.1 KiB) Viewed 878 times

shoner

Re: Acceptable speed for 8Mb service on congested exchange

Post by shoner » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:35 am

Hi flak,

It appears that the exchange that you are connected to is experiencing network related issues as stated above. I will provide a reply to your email.
"Helping Making a Better World"

Log a fault ticket Here
or call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)
Exetel Support Portal

mulga

Post by mulga » Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:01 pm

You're lucky! After 3.30pm mine drops down below 10kbs and doesn't come back till nearly midnight. During the day I get 860kbs.
Makes voip pretty much useless in peak hours. Bring on the NBN I say.

Telstra's response is usually to put you on a 3mbs limit all the time, so don't complain too much (or change your ip often).

ShaminG
Exetel Staff

Post by ShaminG » Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:18 pm

Hi
mulga wrote:You're lucky! After 3.30pm mine drops down below 10kbs and doesn't come back till nearly midnight. During the day I get 860kbs.
Makes voip pretty much useless in peak hours. Bring on the NBN I say.

Telstra's response is usually to put you on a 3mbs limit all the time, so don't complain too much (or change your ip often).
Further to telephone conversation I had with you, will investigate the matter and provide you an update via your nominated email address.