Modem forcing READSL2 mode

Connection issues, drop outs or speed related faults for ADSL and ADSL2+ services
ErocK
Posts: 111
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2004 7:55 pm

Re: Modem forcing READSL2 mode

Post by ErocK » Fri May 13, 2011 11:08 am

shoner wrote: It seems that the tech that investigated could not find an issue with the Infrastructure, can you confirm if the issue is still persisting?
I checked the line and could not notice any crackling on 2 instances yesterday. The internet connection however, is still dropping out and syncing lower than normal (same issue as before, low downstream SNR margin, 'fast' interleaving). I'll keep monitoring the line for crackling for the next few days.

ErocK
Posts: 111
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2004 7:55 pm

Re: Modem forcing READSL2 mode

Post by ErocK » Fri May 13, 2011 6:04 pm

Just tested the phones. The crackling noise still persists.
Please note that the supplier technician who has attended to your service issue has confirmed to us that there is no issue with-in the infrastructure/network boundary point and or main distribution frame (MDF)
What about from the network boundary point to my residence? Is that what the engineer that was scheduled to come in on the 2nd of May supposed to be checking up on?

Residence -> Network Boundary Point (Field Technician?)
Network Boundary point -> Man Distribution Frame (Supplier Technician?)

thejeg

Re: Modem forcing READSL2 mode

Post by thejeg » Fri May 13, 2011 9:58 pm

ErocK wrote:Just tested the phones. The crackling noise still persists.
Please note that the supplier technician who has attended to your service issue has confirmed to us that there is no issue with-in the infrastructure/network boundary point and or main distribution frame (MDF)
What about from the network boundary point to my residence? Is that what the engineer that was scheduled to come in on the 2nd of May supposed to be checking up on?

Residence -> Network Boundary Point (Field Technician?)
Network Boundary point -> Man Distribution Frame (Supplier Technician?)
An engineer is ringing you now to troubleshoot this issue effectively We need to run couple of line tests to determine the actual issue....

Your corporation towards completing the line tests will help us in resolving your issue almost immediately

ErocK
Posts: 111
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2004 7:55 pm

Re: Modem forcing READSL2 mode

Post by ErocK » Fri May 13, 2011 10:19 pm

Well, that phone call was unfortunately of no help. I've been told I need to hire a private technician to check up on my connection the MDF. I was told that the supplier doesn't have access to this connection and can only check on the network boundary point to the MDF.
This where I am confused. Going back a few weeks ago where this issue first occurred, a "field technician" was assigned to my premises on the 2nd of May.
Please be advised that a field technician has been scheduled on 02/05/2011 7.30am -12.00pm. Please be in attendance to grant necessary access for the field technician. A call out fee may apply if you or persons living at your premises are not in attendance or if the field technician is prevented from accessing the premises.
Which is in contrast to:
Our supplier estimates the service should be restored by 12/05/2011 COB. This may involve a technician attending the premises.You are not required for this.
However on the 1st of May, I received a call from Exetel saying that the problem was fixed by the supplier as another user on my street had the same issue (which I believe was a preplanned spiel once my connection synced via ADSL2+ mode). This technician was then not needed, and I was told that he would be informed that he did not need to come over.

But during the morning of the 2nd of May, this technician still showed up carrying a tool box..presumably to check up on my line internally. He said he was from Optus. I then told him that Exetel called me the day before saying everything is fine. He then left without having needed to check anything. Is this not the same "private technician" that I, for some reason, need to hire on my own?

thejeg

Re: Modem forcing READSL2 mode

Post by thejeg » Fri May 13, 2011 11:44 pm

ErocK wrote:Please be advised that a field technician has been scheduled on 02/05/2011 7.30am -12.00pm. Please be in attendance to grant necessary access for the field technician. A call out fee may apply if you or persons living at your premises are not in attendance or if the field technician is prevented from accessing the premises.
Is to inform you of a technician appointment.............
ErocK wrote:Our supplier estimates the service should be restored by 12/05/2011 COB. This may involve a technician attending the premises.You are not required for this.
is to inform you of a commitment given by Optus

Moving on;

If the service was confirmed to the A side of the Main distribution frame, you have to use your own resources to check connection from B side to your premises.

ErocK
Posts: 111
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2004 7:55 pm

Re: Modem forcing READSL2 mode

Post by ErocK » Sat May 21, 2011 1:36 am

thejeg wrote:
ErocK wrote:Please be advised that a field technician has been scheduled on 02/05/2011 7.30am -12.00pm. Please be in attendance to grant necessary access for the field technician. A call out fee may apply if you or persons living at your premises are not in attendance or if the field technician is prevented from accessing the premises.
Is to inform you of a technician appointment.............
ErocK wrote:Our supplier estimates the service should be restored by 12/05/2011 COB. This may involve a technician attending the premises.You are not required for this.
is to inform you of a commitment given by Optus
So you are saying they are the same type of technician when
a) Technician A needed to scheduled with prior notice (2weeks prior notice infact)
b) Technician B needs no scheduling, and with no customer interaction?

It bemuses me that an ISP that provides both internet and phone services, do not have the resources to provide its customers with technicians that can assist with connections within the vicinity of our premises.

oh and btw, that last technician that came over was carrying a Telstra card, telling me to call Optus since he found nothing wrong. When calling Optus, I was told to call Exetel. I sure do running around in a loop.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin
Posts: 6003
Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:16 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Modem forcing READSL2 mode

Post by Dazzled » Sat May 21, 2011 8:02 am

Once upon a time, the Postmaster General provided a complete phone service, all the way to your last extension, at enormous expense. You rented the equipment from the PMG. Years ago the system changed - telcos are responsible up to the network boundary only. You or an owners' corporation are responsible for installing and maintaining the cabling and equipment beyond that point. The boundary varies, in old houses it can be the first phone wall outlet, in most houses it's in a plastic box on the external wall, in multi-dwelling buildings it will be a frame in common property which is often locked away. In flats the internal cabling out to your unit is usually common property.

The street lines are still completely owned by Telstra, who is able to lease the use of individual lines up to the boundary point to Optus. Optus sells its service on a wholesale basis to Exetel, who sells an individual service to the end customer. When Exetel reports a fault it passes back up this system until the appropriate company's tech deals with it. This competitive system has delivered huge savings to end users even if it looks bureaucratic.

ErocK
Posts: 111
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2004 7:55 pm

Re: Modem forcing READSL2 mode

Post by ErocK » Sat May 21, 2011 11:42 am

Is there a reputable company(s) that deal with such connections that i could contact? I looked around and it had something to do with ACMA qualification?

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin
Posts: 6003
Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:16 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Modem forcing READSL2 mode

Post by Dazzled » Sat May 21, 2011 8:51 pm

Telephone cabling is a licensed occupation. Someone may come along with a contractor's name, otherwise look under cabling in the Yellow Pages. Electricians can also be licensed for cabling as well as power - if you have dealings with one, ask him. A cabler can test and install within the premises beyond the frame.

A quick Google search found this Melbourne website that explains what it's about - http://www.phoneworks.net.au/Residentia ... /index.php

Post Reply