Page 1 of 3

Modem forcing READSL2 mode

Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:19 pm
by ErocK
Hi, last night I asked residentialsupport to put me back on the 24000/1000 profile from 12000/1000. Long story short I used to be the 24000/1000 profile stability issues started to occur and have been on the 12000/1000 profile every since, dating back maybe 2 years? I have a feeling this might be why its causing my modem (Billion 7401) to force READSL2 mode, but it was working fine last night :/

Funnily enough if I put my modem into ADSL1 mode, my downstream and upstream is fine according to ADSL1 standards - (1600/256) but with forced READSl2, im getting 891/256

Any ideas? I've already emailed residentialsupport to put me back on 12000/1000 but haven't yet received a reply

Re: Modem forcing READSL2 mode

Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:04 pm
by shoner
ErocK wrote:Hi, last night I asked residentialsupport to put me back on the 24000/1000 profile from 12000/1000. Long story short I used to be the 24000/1000 profile stability issues started to occur and have been on the 12000/1000 profile every since, dating back maybe 2 years? I have a feeling this might be why its causing my modem (Billion 7401) to force READSL2 mode, but it was working fine last night :/

Funnily enough if I put my modem into ADSL1 mode, my downstream and upstream is fine according to ADSL1 standards - (1600/256) but with forced READSl2, im getting 891/256

Any ideas? I've already emailed residentialsupport to put me back on 12000/1000 but haven't yet received a reply
I changed the profile back to 24000/1000 and was monitoring the service. It keeps dropping and is not stable. I changed back to 12000/1000. It seems that we need to further troubleshoot and we need to raise an issue with our wholesale supplier.

Please raise a service issue ticket so that one of out engineers could investigate. You can do this by calling 0280301000 or 1300 788 141

Re: Modem forcing READSL2 mode

Posted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:26 pm
by ErocK
My net resynced on 'ADSL2' mode @ 10000/800 yesterday arvo till about 5am today according to my modem. It has since reverted back to READSL2 mode. I already have a technician coming over to our premises on the 2nd of May but I'm just wondering what the issue could be. Of course noone would know without actually having access to my line but has anyone ever had this problem before?

Re: Modem forcing READSL2 mode

Posted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:48 pm
by ShaminG
I have checked the line stats and could see that the sync rate has changed as you mentioned :? . If you haven't made any changes with your internal setup it's advisable to wait till the technician investigates the matter.

I will keep an eye on this matter.

Re: Modem forcing READSL2 mode

Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:55 pm
by ErocK
Just thought I'd update this thread. My service seems to have been capped to:
Operational Mode G.Dmt
Annex Type AnnexA
Upstream 320000
Downstream 1664000
Downstream/Upstream don't change after modem reboot. Connect mode has and always has been set to ADSL2+ autofallback

Re: Modem forcing READSL2 mode

Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:09 pm
by ShaminG
I have checked the DSLAM settings and your service is not capped. It's setup with the correct specs based on your distance :)

We are still waiting till the field technicians visit.

Re: Modem forcing READSL2 mode

Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:19 pm
by ErocK
And indeed it hasn't been capped:
Operational Mode G.Dmt.BisPlus
Annex Type AnnexA
Upstream 571900
Downstream 1187900
Latency(Upstream) Fast
Latency(Downstream) Fast
I have a question about the above. Usually it says Interleaving instead of Fast, which usually gives me approx +20ms latency. I thought that Interleaving was on by default? (well on for services on Exetel)

Re: Modem forcing READSL2 mode

Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:08 pm
by ShaminG
I thought that Interleaving was on by default? (well on for services on Exetel)
I believe the DSLAM would typically be configured with interleaving ON. Interleaving channel delay depends on the interference on the line.

For the time been let's concentrate on the issue, which is variable low sync rate :wink:

Re: Modem forcing READSL2 mode

Posted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:46 am
by ErocK
My connection went back to normal for about 24hrs and has crawled back to READSL2. So my question is, based on this: http://exewiki.exetel.com.au/index.php? ... Technician
If my connection goes back to normal during the period when the technician comes over, will I incur the $200 fee even thought theres clearly a problem?

Re: Modem forcing READSL2 mode

Posted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 6:59 pm
by stevecJ
ErocK wrote:My connection went back to normal for about 24hrs and has crawled back to READSL2. So my question is, based on this: http://exewiki.exetel.com.au/index.php? ... Technician
If my connection goes back to normal during the period when the technician comes over, will I incur the $200 fee even thought theres clearly a problem?
As per the telephone conversation my colleague had with you, we have canceled the Tech appointment which was scheduled on 02/05 since the speeds are back to normal.

Please do monitor the speeds and let us know if you experience any further issues. :)

Re: Modem forcing READSL2 mode

Posted: Tue May 03, 2011 10:38 pm
by ErocK
Speeds are fine, however dropouts are starting to happen. I can't help but think that this is due to Interleaving being off for my connection. My SNR Margin hovers 7-13db which is unusually low. Does Exetel have an option to somehow force interleaving on?

Re: Modem forcing READSL2 mode

Posted: Wed May 04, 2011 4:31 am
by thejeg
ErocK wrote:Speeds are fine, however dropouts are starting to happen. I can't help but think that this is due to Interleaving being off for my connection. My SNR Margin hovers 7-13db which is unusually low. Does Exetel have an option to somehow force interleaving on?
I do see few connection attempts for today.

Tue May 3 08:11:35 2011 : Auth: Login OK:
Tue May 3 12:31:15 2011 : Auth: Login OK:
Tue May 3 16:51:17 2011 : Auth: Login OK:
Tue May 3 17:14:30 2011 : Auth: Login OK:
Tue May 3 18:20:16 2011 : Auth: Login OK:
Tue May 3 22:30:28 2011 : Auth: Login OK:


But it has nothing to do with interleaving being off on your connection.

Anyway, I did some fine tuning which should improve the service.

Please keep this thread updated with the outcome.

Re: Modem forcing READSL2 mode

Posted: Wed May 04, 2011 9:52 am
by shoner
HI Erock,

Just wondering if everything has worked out for you?

Re: Modem forcing READSL2 mode

Posted: Wed May 04, 2011 10:51 am
by ErocK
thejeg wrote: Anyway, I did some fine tuning which should improve the service.

Please keep this thread updated with the outcome.
Hi, may I ask what you did?
shoner wrote:HI Erock,

Just wondering if everything has worked out for you?
I am at uni at the moment, I'll monitor the service for a few days when I get home.

Re: Modem forcing READSL2 mode

Posted: Wed May 04, 2011 11:44 am
by shoner
ErocK wrote:Hi, may I ask what you did?
A simple port reset was done :D

please update this post if the issue continues.