Loyal customer no phone no Internet for 2 months!

Connection issues, drop outs or speed related faults for ADSL and ADSL2+ services
CNU

Loyal customer no phone no Internet for 2 months!

Post by CNU » Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:34 am

I have been using Exetel since 2008 when the monthly fee was $85 for ADSL2+ even though I was/am only getting ADSL1 speed. Recently I moved to a new premises and that was the start of my nightmares, 2 MONTHS no phone no Internet! Phone worked since yesterday temporarily but I am still not getting my Internet!

Here goes my really miserable experience:
[4th March] I tried to apply the service relocation through Exetel webpage but it gave me an error saying "You have requested relocation. Please check the status page." but of course I didn't and nothing was there under my move service status. So I logged a fault ticket #3739819 and asked Exetel to do the relocation application for me MANUALLY instead of having to wait for their web dev team to fix the web page first and re-submit later on because everyone knows it takes 10 working days to process that and I had to move out in that exact time frame.

[9th March] Clearly, Exetel IGNORED my request and said "Thank you for your e-mail. You can place a relocation request through the member's facilities now." on the 8th of March...I applied and so my service relocation request was only OFFICIALLY received on the 9th of March...here, 5 days delay

[15th March] I received an e-mail from provisioning informing me about a Telstra technician have been scheduled to come on the 23rd of March. Exactly 5 days after I moved into my new premises...If it wasn't their webpage error, if they were willing to complete my relocation request manually, I could have a flawless transition...guess again!

[22nd March] I received a SMS reconfirming a Telstra technician will come on the 23rd, make sure somebody at home

[23rd March] I took a day off to wait for this Telstra technician to come. I waited until nearly 5pm but no one showed up or gave me a call or something. I rang Exetel and some guy helped me to call up the technician but no one answered. So this Exetel guy just simply told me that no one is gonna come to my house and helped me to reschedule another visit! I was really mad about this! First I got a reconfirmation the day before that a technician WILL come and for that I took a day off. Second I was already angry about the first delay and now this. Third there was no explanation or whatsoever why suddenly no one showed up. And fourth, a reschedule? Thats another 10 working days!
I managed to get Exetel to pass the phone to some high up called P(C)HEGE to explain the situation to me. He pulled out a reason that Telstra was having too many jobs that day. I really don't buy this because I had served my 10 working days waiting period and if you have unfinished job, you do it TOMORROW, not after another 10 working days!!! My suspicion was that Exetel was totally messed up with my relocation request and that day was when they FIRST made real contact with Telstra to come over!
I considered myself as a victim and was fully entitled for a compensation. P(C)HEGE first offered full refund of the monthly fee for those unused period, which was a JOKE to me! Of course that has to be refunded for sure! Why do I have to pay for the service that I can never use? That was nowhere close to a compensation and finally P(C)HEGE offered 50% off the relocation fee (i.e. $90->$45). OK, even though I was only being given peanuts, because of my loyalty, I did not choose to leave Exetel (DODO is actually cheaper for the time being).

[25th March] I don't know why it took them two days to resubmit my application but thats the date I received an e-mail saying my relocation request had been received. Once again, some unnecessary delay from Exetel!

[7th April] A Telstra technician called Peter rang me in the morning and bought me bad news, said he was at the exchange and the device related to the port I had been assigned was not working and thats the problem of my wholesaler rather than Telstra. Then he's off. I rang Exetel and the same guy I spoke to picked up the phone and told me that would be the problem of Optus...then another WAIT again! This guy also told me that thats not Exetel's fault and I was just being unlucky and so no compensation for me this time! OK! I can accept thats my misfortune but what about the time I need to wait this time? Nothing! Its up to Optus as I was told! But he promised to call me back once he received the feedback from Optus...and I trusted him...

[9th April] I waited two days and no one ever care to give me an update so I rang Exetel again. This time they said, once again, 10 working days!

[15th April] I received an e-mail from provisioning again saying a Telstra technician has been scheduled to come on the 27th of April. Considering the coincidence in the time frame when my relocation request was first officially submitted (9/3) and when I received an e-mail from provisioning (15/3), I could not help but to suspect once again that Exetel only helped me to arrange for a booking on the 9th of April instead of the 7th! AFTER I rang them and pushed them! More delays!

[27th April morning] Finally a Telstra technician called Nathan came in the morning and fixed my phone! I told him about the faulty port device the other Telstra technician told me about, his response was "Stupid!" and showed me his job order paper with a string of numbers on it and told me that "they" (I don't know who he was referring to, Exetel? or Telstra?) had given a wrong code 302 but it should be 301 instead! After nearly two months of waiting and it was only because of a wrong code! A wrong code! Can you imagine two months without telephone and Internet just because of a wrong code? Who should I blame? Someone please tell me!

[27th April afternoon] (Every NSW Exetel user knew about this day!) I was too happy because my telephone was finally up and running and I only realized after Nathan had left that the phone number was not the same phone number that I had been using for the pass 3 years with Exetel. And you got it right, my Internet was still NOT WORKING! I was not sure if thats related to the temporary phone number I got so I rang Exetel again. I pushed a few buttons on my phone and the voice system had already lodged a fault ticket for me, I didnt even have the chance to speak to anyone. A female staff rang me back later on and before asking for what my problem was she started saying there's an unexcepted outage in Kogarah thats why I could not use the Internet! Normally, I will not accept people start explaining before he/she is fully aware of what my problem is, but since my phone was up and running, and because I had waited too long for this day, I was reluctant to accept theres still problems for my connection. So I trusted this female staff that once the outage is fixed, I will be fine.

[28th April] The outage was fixed and? I still didn't have my Internet!!! Some outsourced guy rang me in the morning to test the connection. I told him that I had a wrong number and I didnt have Internet connection. He told me that usually it takes 3 working days to switch back to my previous number, OK, I trusted him. Then what about my Internet? He simply ignored me and said he's not responsible for the Internet connection, only the phone. Once he had confirmed my phone is working then he cut me off. After that I did all the testing on my end (swapping modems, cables, filters, laptops, isolation test...) before calling Exetel. This time an Exetel guy picked up and I told him about my working phone but wrong number, my modem diagnostic test results, my signal strength results (see attached) and at last he told me to unplug everything for 15mins so that he could run a line test. I called him back after 45mins to see what he got there and he told me this time they had some misunderstanding to my job case initially and now they had clear things up and everything will be fixed in 30mins! What pissed me off big time was after 1.5 hrs I rang Exetel again because I was still having the same issue. The same guy picked up and "escalated" my case to a department that can solve my problem!

I really don't know what was fixed in the pass 1.5hrs or if they did fix something thats totally not related to my Internet connection! I really hate Exetel always giving out fake promises or their staffs are so ignorance (first the female staff presumed the outage was the cause without even asking what my problem was; now the male staff giving false guarantee that everything will be fine in 30mins)!
And this was not the end of story yet! This "new" department I was being directed to turned out to be the technical support! What have you guys been doing there?? So my case was never being passed to the technical support??? Who have been dealing with my case so long then? And guess what, the first sentence a tech guy spoke to me was "You said that your connection was completed?"!!! Hell no! This outsourced guy who rang me in the morning only cared about the phone, but of course I was able to use the phone to talk to him that wouldn't make me say it was incomplete, right? But I did tell him about the wrong number and no Internet!
This tech guy was not very patient or he can only be patient for 10mins. I tried to explain my case to him in details, I tried to tell him about the SNR margin, the line attenuation, the data rate that I got and I was able to get PPPoE connection but failed the PPP layer connection. God knows if he was listening he only insisted that there is something wrong at my exchange (what he called No sync) and kept asking me if I want him to fix it or not! I guess I had no choice and now I have to wait for an Optus guy to come again and I am really scare of this!

Now, I really don't know how long do I have to wait again. If someone here is willing to help, I am all ears.
First, do you think I deserve a full explanation from Exetel 1. why couldn't they lodge my application earlier while they were fixing their webpage? 2. why no one came to my premises on the 23rd of March? 3. were there ever any delays / human errors in scheduling a Telstra tech guy to come? 4. who gave the wrong code? 5. what were fixed anyway when this male staff said in 30mins? 6. was my case never passed to technical support until yesterday?

Second, I have attached my modem test results here. I want to know if I have 12/13dB SNR margin, 30.6/21dB line attenuation, 8064/896kbps data rate (for the record, I am only within 1km away from the exchange) and I pass the PPPoE connection, does that still suggest that there is a problem at my exchange but not a profile record error / human error at the Exetel end?

Third, my lease contract is only 12months and I knew that I will have to move out again after that. But it has been 2 months and I still don't have my Internet connected. Exetel has a new 12 months term contract everytime you move to a new address and that means even if I am magically connected tomorrow, I can only use it for 10 months max before I move out. And to terminate the service within the contract, I'll have to pay $100. Do you think it is too much a request to have the contract voided as a compensation because of their delays?

Thank you!
Attachments
signal.jpg
signal.jpg (154.03 KiB) Viewed 511 times
test.jpg
test.jpg (165.63 KiB) Viewed 511 times

JasonM

Re: Loyal customer no phone no Internet for 2 months!

Post by JasonM » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:05 am

Hello,

Sorry to hear of your troubles.

I'll investigate and escalate the troubles you experienced.

Jason

Viss

Post by Viss » Mon May 02, 2011 12:00 pm

I feel for you my friend, I am a Computer tech and have the displeasure of dealing with these sort of problems on a daily basis and i personally believe that these situations are a result of "Out sourcing" Technical support and inadequate training. On Friday a customer comes into my shop sporting a new "Wireless" printer which he just purchased from The Good Guys, The client was assured that this printer would connect wireless to his laptop. I then proceeded to quiz the client to find out if he owns a router to which he replied no. Now it is possible to connect to a wireless printer by an AD-HOC network connection but for your average computer user this is next to impossible. My point here is that these people read whats written on the box or what is written on the screen in front of them, 90% of these help desk people have next to no experience in the real world, as long as you can speak on a telephone and read you can do a support job. My point with the printer, hes a salesman who read the box and has no idea on setting up a wireless printer. I have dealt with the guys on this forum before and this should be your first port of call rather than the phone as the guys here are actually qualified and I have had more success getting issues resolved here than over the phone. Jason is a good guy he will look after you. Good luck mate. :D

thejeg

Post by thejeg » Tue May 03, 2011 5:05 am

CNU wrote:1. why couldn't they lodge my application earlier while they were fixing their webpage? 2. why no one came to my premises on the 23rd of March? 3. were there ever any delays / human errors in scheduling a Telstra tech guy to come? 4. who gave the wrong code? 5. what were fixed anyway when this male staff said in 30mins? 6. was my case never passed to technical support until yesterday?

Second, I have attached my modem test results here. I want to know if I have 12/13dB SNR margin, 30.6/21dB line attenuation, 8064/896kbps data rate (for the record, I am only within 1km away from the exchange) and I pass the PPPoE connection, does that still suggest that there is a problem at my exchange but not a profile record error / human error at the Exetel end?

Third, my lease contract is only 12months and I knew that I will have to move out again after that. But it has been 2 months and I still don't have my Internet connected. Exetel has a new 12 months term contract everytime you move to a new address and that means even if I am magically connected tomorrow, I can only use it for 10 months max before I move out. And to terminate the service within the contract, I'll have to pay $100. Do you think it is too much a request to have the contract voided as a compensation because of their delays?

Thank you!
What you have reported here has been escalated to me.....

In the mean time, should you wish to query anything, you may send an email to thejeg@exetel.com.au

CNU

Post by CNU » Wed May 04, 2011 11:57 pm

thejeg wrote:

In the mean time, should you wish to query anything, you may send an email to thejeg@exetel.com.au
OK thanks thejeg, then I will wait for your prompt reply.

Also, my greatest gratitude to Jason, who responsively gave me a ring the next morning after I wrote this post.
And then a few phone calls made by him, BAM, network FIXED!
I reckon posting on this forum is WAYYY more effective than calling the customer service hotline.
But I wasn't connected to begin with, it was a hassle to me.

Now I only need to wait for Mr. thejeg's response, esp. to the third question and then have my bill fixed as well.

thejeg

Post by thejeg » Thu May 05, 2011 7:20 am

CNU wrote:Third, my lease contract is only 12months and I knew that I will have to move out again after that. But it has been 2 months and I still don't have my Internet connected. Exetel has a new 12 months term contract everytime you move to a new address and that means even if I am magically connected tomorrow, I can only use it for 10 months max before I move out. And to terminate the service within the contract, I'll have to pay $100. Do you think it is too much a request to have the contract voided as a compensation because of their delays?
CNU wrote:Now I only need to wait for Mr. thejeg's response, esp. to the third question and then have my bill fixed as well.
This will be sorted out today :)

thejeg

Post by thejeg » Thu May 05, 2011 11:48 pm

CNU wrote:
thejeg wrote:

OK thanks thejeg, then I will wait for your prompt reply.

Also, my greatest gratitude to Jason, who responsively gave me a ring the next morning after I wrote this post.
And then a few phone calls made by him, BAM, network FIXED!
I reckon posting on this forum is WAYYY more effective than calling the customer service hotline.
But I wasn't connected to begin with, it was a hassle to me.

Now I only need to wait for Mr. thejeg's response, esp. to the third question and then have my bill fixed as well.
I have sent you an email a while ago with the outcome :)