ADSL2+ (TCV20-200): Modem settings: PPPoE or PPPoA?

Connection issues, drop outs or speed related faults for ADSL and ADSL2+ services
b9force

ADSL2+ (TCV20-200): Modem settings: PPPoE or PPPoA?

Post by b9force » Sun May 01, 2011 3:11 pm

Hi everyone

I received confirmation from Exetel today that my service has just been successfully changed from ADSL1 to ADSL2+ (TCV20-200 plan).

My modem still appears to be syncing at ADSL1 speed at the moment... but I see from other threads on this forum that the speed change might take a few days to implement due to the Easter break. Fair enough, all good. But meanwhile...

My Thomson SpeedTouch ST536v6 modem/router is supposed to be ADSL2+ compatible. Configuration of the modem is achieved via a "setup wizard", in which the only configurable options (other than ISP username/password) are:
- "Service" ("Routed PPP" or "Bridge");
- "VPI/VCI";
- "Connection Type" ("PPPoA" or "PPPoE").

I'm fairly confident that I'm supposed to set the "Service" option to "Routed PPP" (because I want to use my modem's in-built router function), and the "VPI/VCI" option to "8.35" (which is the default value). However, I'm not sure about the "Connection Type" option. For my Exetel ADSL1 service I've always used PPPoA. But which setting should I use for my new ADSL2+ service? (Does it even matter?)

Hoping someone can provide some guidance. Thanks very much in advance.

Cheers,
B9

EDIT: Wasn't sure whether to post this question in the ADSL2+ subforum or the modem subforum. So admins/mods, please feel free to move this thread if necessary. :)

ShaminG
Exetel Staff

Re: ADSL2+ (TCV20-200): Modem settings: PPPoE or PPPoA?

Post by ShaminG » Sun May 01, 2011 4:48 pm

- "Service" ("Routed PPP" or "Bridge");
- "VPI/VCI";
- "Connection Type" ("PPPoA" or "PPPoE").
Service : Routed PPP
VPI/VCI : 8/35
Connection type : PPPoE

Above settings along with Multiplexing mode, LLC should work. Basically it's the same setup. :)

b9force

Post by b9force » Sun May 01, 2011 5:40 pm

Thank you :)

thejeg

Post by thejeg » Tue May 03, 2011 5:09 am

b9force wrote:My modem still appears to be syncing at ADSL1 speed at the moment... but I see from other threads on this forum that the speed change might take a few days to implement due to the Easter break. Fair enough, all good.
You may keep an eye on viewtopic.php?f=296&t=37983 for further updates regarding delays in plan upgrades.