ADSL SLOW AS SIN

Connection issues, drop outs or speed related faults for ADSL and ADSL2+ services
pauls

ADSL SLOW AS SIN

Post by pauls » Tue May 17, 2011 9:48 am

To the jeg, you seem to be the person with the answers :D :D

I pay $50 for 1500kbps adsl and at the moment I only get between 53 and 210kbps between the hours of 6pm and mn :evil: :evil:
I also pay $15 fir VOIP which is suppose to only run at 1300 to 1500 kbps, drops out when kbps is running at the low level
I have emailed Exetel tecnicians with my complaint and provided all the answers to the silly questions as provided below :shock:
Now I have to pay a tecnician $110 to come to my address so that EXETEL will believe that it is slow after 6pm
When is EXETEL going to ring telstra and ask to fix it
I thought we were in a modern world any yet I pay all this money to get DIAL UP service after 6PM :evil:
Below is last email sent to EXETEL on 16/5/11 ticket number #3966076
Seem's pretty obvios that during the day all is well, but at nite it goes to sh*t

Hi this is a reply for you NOTE if you read my previous emails to you I have done most of this already and downloaded the stuff already

--Connection type on modem configuration is set to PPPoE Yes
-- Wireless is disabled and the modem is connected to the computer using an Ethernet cable.- Yes
--Phone line working fine without any noise (Crackling, static, hissing):* Yes
--Have tried plugging the modem directly into the main wall socket using a cable 2 meter in length with out a filter? Yes doesn't make any difference
-- What is the Sync Speed of your Modem when you directly plugged it into the main wall socket using a cable with 2m in length with out a filter? These are listed below
--Have you tried an alternative Modem?(It is best that you try to borrow a modem and test the service with the borrowed modem) Yes
-- It Is an ADSL 2 + Filter/splitter installed? Yes
-- Do you notice change of speed with and without the filter? No
-- Have you tried factory resetting your modem? (refer modem instruction manual) Yes several times
-- Are you running a Network or using a single computer? Single laptop
--Are you using any P2P applications? No I don't think so, really don't know what a P2P is--
-- What is the MTU value set to on your modem configuration page? (refer modem instruction manual) 1492
--Do you have Foxtel installed? No I live in central qld and have AUSTAR pay TV via a satellite
--Do you have a Back to base Alarm system installed? NO
-- What is the length of the cable that you are using between your modem and the telephony wall socket? 1.5m
--Which brand/model of ADSL modem do you have? Netcom NB9WMAXXn
-- Which brand/model of Alternate modem do you have or test with? Netcom NB1

These are the speeds from http://www.exetel.com.au/speed/ when the modem is directly connected to the computer, with wireless disabled?

Your current bandwidth reading is: 1.32 Mbps @ 1325 on 16/5/11With Normal adsl 2 modem and single cable no filter

Your current bandwidth reading is: 1.29 Mbps @ 1156 "

Your current bandwidth reading is: 154.50kbps @ 1950 ''

Your current bandwidth reading is: 158.40kbps @ 1805 "

Your current bandwidth reading is: 217.50kbps @ 1815 "

Couldn't download anything free from Apple because I don't have a Ipod and wasn't paying for downloads but the others were working at
the regular speed during the day
Screensaver from nvidia downloaded 29 meg in 1.30 min's on 10/5/11 at 1125 am

I rang a friend who is also in the area, and asked if her ADSL is running slow and she is also with exetel
and she said that she is having the same problems with slow speeds as well

If the technician is coming out during the day he will find that as above in the download tests that the system is working up to speed, it is only after 6 PM when everyone is home that the speed is slowing down, so YES I agree to him coming out here after 6PM at night to test the wiring to my neighborhood but if he is coming out at 11 AM any day I DO NOT AGREE TO THE FEE

I rang Exetel today and talked to a technician and told him that I had rang Telstra and had advised them of the situation and that Telstra suggested that a technician from your company should ring Telstra and complain that we the people paying the money for a high adsl speed aren't getting what we pay for
Your technician said that you use OPTUS, but up here OPTUS only Pay for the use of Telstra lines
Thanks
Paul

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: ADSL SLOW AS SIN

Post by Dazzled » Tue May 17, 2011 10:18 am

Sin slow? Anyway you have done all the right things. All ADSL1 services are provided to Exetel by Telstra Wholesale, not Optus. When you can't get 1500 there is often a line fault, and the tech visit fee is Telstra-imposed to limit non-line-related callouts. It isn't charged if an external line fault is found.

Have you noted the line rate, noise (SNR) margin and attenuation listed in your modem config pages - these are physical line test results obtained when the modem booted. If your upload rate drops markedly from 256 VoIP will be seriously affected.

However if the slowness is only at night, it sounds much more like a congestion problem in your local area. Pinging Exetel will indicate this clearly. If it is exchange backhaul congestion from Telstra, (common), you will have to wait for a Telstra exchange upgrade, but local rate limiting may be actionable by the technicians.

I'd also check that the evening problem isn't at home - is there TV, fridge, etc, interference with the modem cable? We had an account earlier this year of a poster whose modem cable passed near a TV and picked up a signal from it.

shoner
Exetel Staff

Post by shoner » Tue May 17, 2011 11:03 am

pauls wrote:To the jeg, you seem to be the person with the answers :D :D

I pay $50 for 1500kbps adsl and at the moment I only get between 53 and 210kbps between the hours of 6pm and mn :evil: :evil:
I also pay $15 fir VOIP which is suppose to only run at 1300 to 1500 kbps, drops out when kbps is running at the low level
I have emailed Exetel tecnicians with my complaint and provided all the answers to the silly questions as provided below :shock:
Now I have to pay a tecnician $110 to come to my address so that EXETEL will believe that it is slow after 6pm
When is EXETEL going to ring telstra and ask to fix it
I thought we were in a modern world any yet I pay all this money to get DIAL UP service after 6PM :evil:
Below is last email sent to EXETEL on 16/5/11 ticket number #3966076
Seem's pretty obvios that during the day all is well, but at nite it goes to sh*t

Hi this is a reply for you NOTE if you read my previous emails to you I have done most of this already and downloaded the stuff already

--Connection type on modem configuration is set to PPPoE Yes
-- Wireless is disabled and the modem is connected to the computer using an Ethernet cable.- Yes
--Phone line working fine without any noise (Crackling, static, hissing):* Yes
--Have tried plugging the modem directly into the main wall socket using a cable 2 meter in length with out a filter? Yes doesn't make any difference
-- What is the Sync Speed of your Modem when you directly plugged it into the main wall socket using a cable with 2m in length with out a filter? These are listed below
--Have you tried an alternative Modem?(It is best that you try to borrow a modem and test the service with the borrowed modem) Yes
-- It Is an ADSL 2 + Filter/splitter installed? Yes
-- Do you notice change of speed with and without the filter? No
-- Have you tried factory resetting your modem? (refer modem instruction manual) Yes several times
-- Are you running a Network or using a single computer? Single laptop
--Are you using any P2P applications? No I don't think so, really don't know what a P2P is--
-- What is the MTU value set to on your modem configuration page? (refer modem instruction manual) 1492
--Do you have Foxtel installed? No I live in central qld and have AUSTAR pay TV via a satellite
--Do you have a Back to base Alarm system installed? NO
-- What is the length of the cable that you are using between your modem and the telephony wall socket? 1.5m
--Which brand/model of ADSL modem do you have? Netcom NB9WMAXXn
-- Which brand/model of Alternate modem do you have or test with? Netcom NB1

These are the speeds from http://www.exetel.com.au/speed/ when the modem is directly connected to the computer, with wireless disabled?

Your current bandwidth reading is: 1.32 Mbps @ 1325 on 16/5/11With Normal adsl 2 modem and single cable no filter

Your current bandwidth reading is: 1.29 Mbps @ 1156 "

Your current bandwidth reading is: 154.50kbps @ 1950 ''

Your current bandwidth reading is: 158.40kbps @ 1805 "

Your current bandwidth reading is: 217.50kbps @ 1815 "

Couldn't download anything free from Apple because I don't have a Ipod and wasn't paying for downloads but the others were working at
the regular speed during the day
Screensaver from nvidia downloaded 29 meg in 1.30 min's on 10/5/11 at 1125 am

I rang a friend who is also in the area, and asked if her ADSL is running slow and she is also with exetel
and she said that she is having the same problems with slow speeds as well

If the technician is coming out during the day he will find that as above in the download tests that the system is working up to speed, it is only after 6 PM when everyone is home that the speed is slowing down, so YES I agree to him coming out here after 6PM at night to test the wiring to my neighborhood but if he is coming out at 11 AM any day I DO NOT AGREE TO THE FEE

I rang Exetel today and talked to a technician and told him that I had rang Telstra and had advised them of the situation and that Telstra suggested that a technician from your company should ring Telstra and complain that we the people paying the money for a high adsl speed aren't getting what we pay for
Your technician said that you use OPTUS, but up here OPTUS only Pay for the use of Telstra lines
Thanks
Paul
The most important thing here is trying to get you up to speeds. Dazzled has clearly noted how things work between Teltra and Exetel. If the Fee for service is an issue for you as a gesture of goodwill we will waive that if the tech that visits prove no issue with the infrastructure regardless of the time.
"Helping Making a Better World"

Log a fault ticket Here
or call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)
Exetel Support Portal

pauls

Post by pauls » Tue May 17, 2011 2:43 pm

is there TV, fridge, etc, interference with the modem cable
No fridge close, it's in a computer room with vga moniter and printer and fridge is10m away
Exetel by Telstra Wholesale, not Optus
Better tell your techs as this is what he told me on Sunday
you will have to wait for a Telstra exchange upgrade,.
As I have stated above, I rang telstra and complained about slownes and due to me not being a customer on BIGPOND
they said that my CARRIER (EXETEL) would have to ring and complain about building up the system so it can carry more
trafic on the phone lines at night
THUS THIS QUESTION ON THIS FORUM BECAUSE THE EMAIL'S WERN'T GOING ANYWHERE WITH EXETEL TECS AND
BECAUSE IT WAS ONE ON ONE AND NOW EVERYONE KNOWS""""""""
as a gesture of goodwill we will waive that if the tech that visits prove no issue with the infrastructure regardless of the time.
This would be good as long as I said that the technician comes out her after 6pm at night and not during the period mn to 5pm when everyone is at work

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Tue May 17, 2011 5:20 pm

you will have to wait for a Telstra exchange upgrade,.
referred to the possibility of backhaul congestion from your exchange to Brisbane. This is completely outside Exetel's control. You are right, only the ISP can talk to Telstra Wholesale. They and the other affected ISPs can only report it to TW and wait.

If the monitor is a cathode ray screen, treat it as a TV; there's high voltage inside. If it's an LCD screen, keep the cable away from the electronics in the back panel.

I am an admin of the forum, but am also a customer like yourself, not an Exetel spokesman. I think Shoner's offer concerning a Telstra fee is generous. I don't know the working hours of techs in your area.

thejeg

Post by thejeg » Tue May 17, 2011 8:20 pm

pauls wrote:THUS THIS QUESTION ON THIS FORUM BECAUSE THE EMAIL'S WERN'T GOING ANYWHERE WITH EXETEL TECS AND
BECAUSE IT WAS ONE ON ONE AND NOW EVERYONE KNOWS
Issue has been raised to the supplier on Tue, 17 May 11 17:02:34 +1000

And we are expecting an update from them.

Unless they get back to us today, We cannot just "THINK" of "something" an update you.

Please be patient until a response is provided.

pauls

Post by pauls » Wed May 18, 2011 9:03 am

This is just what I wanted, someone to say something is going to happen and not
assume that I have no idea of what I am doing and keeping it all in emails :D :D :D :D
Thank you very much I will let my friend who is also in this area and on exetel know that you are
going to do some searching
As I explained to the tech on sunday, they are building more houses out here and not upgrading the exchange,origionly
there were 40 houses and now there are 340 so as I said its as slow as sin( or any swear word you want to put here) :( :( :(
paul

shoner
Exetel Staff

Post by shoner » Wed May 18, 2011 10:56 am

pauls wrote:This is just what I wanted, someone to say something is going to happen and not
assume that I have no idea of what I am doing and keeping it all in emails :D :D :D :D
Thank you very much I will let my friend who is also in this area and on exetel know that you are
As I explained to the tech on sunday, they are building more houses out here and not upgrading the exchange,origionly
there were 40 houses and now there are 340 so as I said its as slow as sin( or any swear word you want to put here) :( :( :(
paul
Tests are still pending with the supplier.....

Log a fault ticket Here
Exetel Support Portal

thejeg

Post by thejeg » Thu May 19, 2011 2:14 am

pauls wrote:This is just what I wanted, someone to say something is going to happen and not
paul
OK... I've received an update from the supplier.

According to them, What you have reported was caused by a Network issue (Tunnel Lockup)

They have remedy the situation by Resetting the connection.

You may test the service from your end and get back to us.......

pauls

Post by pauls » Thu May 19, 2011 8:31 am

Am on the net at the moment and this the speeds I am getting
Your current bandwidth reading is: 628.30kbps @0810 on 19/5 :(
Your current bandwidth reading is: 210.80kbps @ 0815 "" :shock: :shock: :( :( :( :( :(
Your current bandwidth reading is: 525.40kbps @ 0823 "" :(

So from these results not much has changed

A friend suggested buying a wirless dongle from you and buying a new modem that supports VOIP so that I
can still make phone calls and surf, but your plans seem to be the same as everyone else $50 buys not 30gig
Which at the moment $50 buys me dial up mainly :shock:
No we are not one of the privilaged ones that have ADSL 2 as I don't live in a capital city (lucky buggers)

JanakaDS

Post by JanakaDS » Thu May 19, 2011 10:45 am

pauls wrote:Am on the net at the moment and this the speeds I am getting
Your current bandwidth reading is: 210.80kbps @ 0815 "" :shock: :shock: :( :( :( :( :(

A friend suggested buying a wirless dongle from you and buying a new modem that supports VOIP so that I
can still make phone calls and surf, but your plans seem to be the same as everyone else $50 buys not 30gig
No we are not one of the privilaged ones that have ADSL 2 as I don't live in a capital city (lucky buggers)
I can see that your service is syncing up with 1536 kbps at the exchange port. As you are currently on a 1500/256 plan, everything looks fine from the exchange side. Would you please completely isolate your PSTN line and connect only a different modem straightly in to the first telephone wall socket which is closest to the street and check if you can see an improvement?

Please run some speed tests via http://www.exetel.com.au/speed to check your line speed.

thejeg

Post by thejeg » Thu May 19, 2011 6:35 pm

JanakaDS wrote:
pauls wrote:Am on the net at the moment and this the speeds I am getting

I can see that your service is syncing up with 1536 kbps at the exchange port. As you are currently on a 1500/256 plan, everything looks fine from the exchange side. Would you please completely isolate your PSTN line and connect only a different modem straightly in to the first telephone wall socket which is closest to the street and check if you can see an improvement?

Please run some speed tests via http://www.exetel.com.au/speed to check your line speed.
To add to that, please provide a netstat output

Please also do a ping and a tracereoute to 220.233.0.9

You may post all of your test results in this thread.

pauls

Post by pauls » Fri May 20, 2011 10:07 am

Tried to do netstat comand got----- The requested operation requires higher elivation
and wouldn't go any further :(
Couldn't do a copy and paste on the tracer route....... so how do I paste it here :(

shoner
Exetel Staff

Post by shoner » Fri May 20, 2011 10:52 am

pauls wrote:Tried to do netstat comand got----- The requested operation requires higher elivation
and wouldn't go any further :(
Try to log in with your administrator account and try this again.
pauls wrote: Couldn't do a copy and paste on the tracer route....... so how do I paste it here :(
If copy paste does not work, get a print screen of the result and upload it as an attachment.

Log a fault ticket Here
Exetel Support Portal

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Fri May 20, 2011 10:56 am

You may need administration privileges. See http://www.ehow.com/how_2212398_use-net ... mands.html.

In a DOS or command prompt, command > filename.txt will put the output in a Notepad file. You can copy filename.txt with the mouse, and paste it here after pressing the Code button.

Edit] pipped by Shoner, but I'll leave it here.