ADSL SLOW AS SIN

Connection issues, drop outs or speed related faults for ADSL and ADSL2+ services
pauls

Re: ADSL SLOW AS SIN

Post by pauls » Fri May 20, 2011 5:41 pm

These tests are done with only cable to modem without splitter and via etherner cable

----Exetel speed test:Your current bandwidth reading is:340.00kbps @447pm 20/5
Your current bandwidth reading is:210.20kbps 520pm

-----Ping site is pingtest.net and results are on the site in the link below,,as it won't copy and paste looks bad for me tho :( :(
http://www.pingtest.net/result/40710678.png
----Netstat stuff doeesnt still paste
So, all these test, what are they actually going to do to upgrade the TELSTRA NETWORK?????????
I have Paid AVG so no one is using my Lines while I surf and from the ping test it shows a "F" when bouncing to Canberra
so I would say that IT MUST B MORE THAN JUST MY COMPUTER HAVING A VIRUS, I can read the rusults and am the only administrater
Read your coments page about slow internet and they don't help if you got VOIP :( :(

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Fri May 20, 2011 6:13 pm

Pauls, if there is Telstra congestion, and it's not uncommon, the ping and traceroute tests that thejeg requested above are quite informative. Netstat is important too - particularly so if you run Windows. Exetel staff can't raise issues with the carrier without some data, and although they can do some line tests, other information has to come from the customer's end. It only takes a minute or two.

If you want to look at the backhaul state for yourself, install Win-MTR and target 220.233.0.9

thejeg

Post by thejeg » Fri May 20, 2011 9:08 pm

pauls wrote:These tests are done with only cable to modem without splitter and via etherner cable

----Exetel speed test:Your current bandwidth reading is:340.00kbps @447pm 20/5
Your current bandwidth reading is:210.20kbps 520pm

-----Ping site is pingtest.net and results are on the site in the link below,,as it won't copy and paste looks bad for me tho :( :(
----Netstat stuff doeesnt still paste
So, all these test, what are they actually going to do to upgrade the TELSTRA NETWORK?????????
I have Paid AVG so no one is using my Lines while I surf and from the ping test it shows a "F" when bouncing to Canberra
so I would say that IT MUST B MORE THAN JUST MY COMPUTER HAVING A VIRUS, I can read the rusults and am the only administrater
Read your coments page about slow internet and they don't help if you got VOIP :( :(
unless you provide the information I'm after, I cannot do much about the issue that you are claiming :roll:

pauls

Post by pauls » Sat May 21, 2011 10:07 am

Jegs have done ping test result is a " F" result below :shock:

Have done tracert and netstat and can't find anywhere to paste it as an attachment here, used screen print /paste to paint as detailed in webpages for these
and then tried to attach to here and it won't work, send me you email address and I will send it to you
Tried all of the above and as I use other forums that use the same IMG etc they work there but not here?

I don't mind doin the tests, but I wanted a reason Why I was doin them, answer that telstra wants proof of this is a good answer :)

pauls

Post by pauls » Sat May 21, 2011 2:18 pm

Got this to Paste,not that I understand what it says but speed test is 521.10kbps @ 135pm saturday while its running

|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
| WinMTR statistics
| Host - % | Sent | Recv | Best | Avrg | Wrst | Last |
|------------------------------------------------|------|------|------|------|------|------|
| 192.168.1.1 - 0 | 281 | 281 | 0 | 0 | 10 | 0 |
| No response from host - 100 | 56 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 |
| 1.3.96.58.static.exetel.com.au - 1 | 275 | 273 | 46 | 206 | 1420 | 168 |
| 182.31.96.58.static.exetel.com.au - 1 | 275 | 273 | 48 | 203 | 1477 | 70 |
| candlenut-web.exetel.com.au - 2 | 272 | 269 | 47 | 205 | 1434 | 90 |
|________________________________________________|______|______|______|______|______|______|
WinMTR v0.92 GPL V2 by Appnor MSP - Fully Managed Hosting & Cloud Provider

The only way that I can put the tracer or netstat results is via a url via photobucket so here they are

http://i578.photobucket.com/albums/ss22 ... exetel.jpg

http://i578.photobucket.com/albums/ss22 ... tstat2.jpg
Hope that you can understand this because I sure can't :shock: :shock: :shock:

Hi the Jeg will also email you these results as I found your email address on another forum here

pauls

Post by pauls » Sun May 22, 2011 12:25 pm

Just a question,just tried thet ping test to Palmerston North in NZ for your EXTEL branch ,{do you have one there?} and results
came back with a" B" as oposed to the" F " that I am getting when pinging canberra. :shock: :shock:
Is this result wrong or is this for the ping test only using another server
Can I use this isp number and set my modem to this 58.96.35.246 and get faster speed times surfing even tho its in NZ
This is Just another strange question to get my money's worth and what I pay for, as the tunneling efect via TELSTRA is giving EXETEL a bad name :(
Paul

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Sun May 22, 2011 5:45 pm

Pauls, that ping test to NZ was an interesting result, but the computer replying at the other end belongs to Thinair, a Kiwi ISP (pingtest.thinar.net.nz). pingtest.net loads a Java applet onto your computer which does exactly the same job as mtr, which you also tried earlier. The main difference is that mtr lets you select any server as the target. 58.96.35.246 on the other hand is an Exetel IP address.

If you are investigating Telstra backhaul, the transmission times from your place to Exetel are what count - these packets are on Telstra Wholesale systems only.

pauls

Post by pauls » Mon May 23, 2011 9:45 am

Obviosly everyone has worked out that you can't play on the internet at night cause now its slow to use
it during the day as well :( :(
Looks like I'll be goin wirless if nothing is obviously gunna change

Your current bandwidth reading is:186.80kbps @930 am on 23/5

" " " " 367.7kbps @940 am on 25/5

thejeg

Post by thejeg » Mon May 23, 2011 11:55 pm

pauls wrote:Obviosly everyone has worked out that you can't play on the internet at night cause now its slow to use
it during the day as well :( :(
Looks like I'll be goin wirless if nothing is obviously gunna change

Your current bandwidth reading is:186.80kbps @930 am on 23/5

" " " " 367.7kbps @940 am on 25/5
I have identified a possible root cause which could be the culprit of what you are reporting.

I would like to request you to bear with me until this is (hopefully) sorted....

pauls

Post by pauls » Tue May 24, 2011 9:00 am

That would be really good, as I am workin for the next week and won't be usin the internet at all :)
If you fix it this also means that I won't have to start stuffing around lookin for a new service that
doesn't use telephone cables and buy new modems and having to put up with problems with dongles
Like pay tv satelites - when it rains reseption drops out cause its raining :shock: :shock: :(
Free to air TV also drops out cause a bird shits on the transmitter :shock: :shock: :)
Modern technology only great when the weather is fine and sunny and no animals present :mrgreen:

thejeg

Post by thejeg » Tue May 24, 2011 11:31 pm

pauls wrote:That would be really good, as I am workin for the next week and won't be usin the internet at all :)
If you fix it this also means that I won't have to start stuffing around lookin for a new service that
doesn't use telephone cables and buy new modems and having to put up with problems with dongles
Like pay tv satelites - when it rains reseption drops out cause its raining :shock: :shock: :(
Free to air TV also drops out cause a bird shits on the transmitter :shock: :shock: :)
Modern technology only great when the weather is fine and sunny and no animals present :mrgreen:

How's it going today?? Have you experienced any slowness?

pauls

Post by pauls » Sun May 29, 2011 7:10 pm

THE JEG WROTE
How's it going today?? Have you experienced any slowness
AND THIS FROM THE JEG
I have identified a possible root cause which could be the culprit of what you are reporting.
I would like to request you to bear with me until this is (hopefully) sorted....

WOW What did you do,I went away for a few days to the gold coast and now I get this speed :shock: :shock: :shock: :evil:

Dial up is 53.3 and I get the below at 6.50PM you definately did something wrong

Your current bandwidth reading is:

51.40kbps

which means you can download at 6.43 KB/sec. from our servers.

28.8 kbps dial-up
33.6 kbps dial-up
51.4 kbps YOU
53.3 kbps dial-up
56 kbps ISDN
128 kbps ISDN
384 kbps DSL
768 kbps DSL
1000 kbps DSL
1500 kbps DSL/T1/Cable Modem

Retest Close
Last edited by pauls on Mon May 30, 2011 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

pauls

Post by pauls » Mon May 30, 2011 9:03 am

Also before I went on hollidays on tuesday a tech from exetel rang here and advised me that TELSTRA had
checked the lines and stated
"There is nothing wrong with the speed on your conection in Brisbane it's running as normal"

My answer
"At what time did the tech check my lines to my house"

Tech answer
"Ahhhhh cough it was checked in Brisbane at 4.36pm and there is nothing wrong with it"

My answer
"So the problem is between the hours of 6.00PM and MN and he checks it when everyone is at work,DOH"

Realy I think this problem is going backwards not getting any better don't you :( :( :shock: :shock:

snibs

Post by snibs » Mon May 30, 2011 9:45 am

Wow Pauls this sounds familiar, I have been battling to get my issue fixed for months, my last 2 tickets have gone unnoticed it seems as I didn't get a answer, when I was on 1500 my speeds would pulse between 200 and 1400 over about 10 minutes, games are hard to play most of the time, I recently changed to 8 meg and the problem amplified...yes it got worse, also I'm 300 metres from the exchange and I'm getting at best 4 meg but averages 2.5 meg. Have done all the isolation tests, many modems etc and was told it was a fault outside of there control and had to get others to look at it, that was the last I heard of it about a month or two ago, I'm still stuck with 2 months of a contract left, Iv'e been told to go to the ombudsman but probably wont bother just ride it out and go back to tpg. This problem started as soon as I churned from tpg (it was cheaper, better downloads) but has got worse over the years, I can only guess there's more people on the books and less bandwidth to go around. Exetels service (not speed) is great and I don't want to leave but I'm paying for a connection which I cant use with games most of the time and downloading is like a roller coaster.
Good luck, I hope you get it sorted.

pauls

Post by pauls » Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:41 pm

Two months to go before I can get out of my contract whoopie :shock: :shock:
Don't get me wrong, service has been really good over the last 4 years and 30 gig on peak for $50 is great a month :D :D
But its a waste of money and unuseable gigs if it takes 35 minutes to down load a 3.25 minute song at 51.40kbps :shock: :shock: :evil: :evil:
Get it fixed or you might have alot of customers abandoning your ship and getting better speeds elsewhere,
as it looks like a lot of others are getting the same crap that I have done to satisfy your so called techs :oops: :oops:
and nothing being done, just false promises