Can't get help with speed issue.

Connection issues, drop outs or speed related faults for ADSL and ADSL2+ services
snibs

Can't get help with speed issue.

Post by snibs » Tue May 31, 2011 7:14 am

I have tried to re open tickets twice and email thejeg but no response, these two ticket numbers are related to this issue 3834555 and 3707472. Here it is in a nut shell, for some months now my speed has been pulsing up and down (over about 10 minutes) from around 200kbps to about 1.4 meg and games are next to impossible to play, last week I upgraded my plan to 8 meg and it got worse, it pulses between 1.2 and 4 meg ( today at 5.50am was best at 5.4, first time that fast) and pings are higher than when I had 1500. I'm 300 metres from the exchange, a friend with another isp who is 7 km away from this exchange has better pings (nearly half mine) and steady speeds, I'm convinced this is a congestion problem and there is nothing you can do about it but I'm hoping you can prove me wrong.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: Can't get help with speed issue.

Post by Dazzled » Tue May 31, 2011 8:14 am

Is your friend using ADSL1 as well? If there is local exchange/backhaul congestion, all ADSL1 services there will experience it - they all connect through the Telstra Wholesale facilities, irrespective of ISP.

Does the modem line status vary markedly between the fast and slow times?

Are you uploading at the poor times? Since you use Windows, check for malware; netstat could be useful also.

Is your modem cable long, or passing near an appliance or monitor or speaker, and picking up interference?

If you are congested, you only need to ping an Exetel server, as this is at the other end of the Telstra backhaul. Pings to game servers are not conclusive.

From what is posted, the fluctuation could even be a dying modem. A borrowed one will check that.

When Thejeg drops in he can follow up and perhaps do line checks, but I would start by ruling out local things.

snibs

Post by snibs » Tue May 31, 2011 8:25 am

adsl1 one is all we can get, he is on 1500, don't know if you can check these tickets out but all the information you mention has been done, 3 modems, short cable to the 1 outlet we have, isolation tests etc. Not sure what you mean with the line status, the dsl and internet lights are on all the time, its a 2701hgv-w but have tried 3 modems. any tests I do are on 1 computer with nothing running, be silly to do a test while downloading a file, I even run gamebooster most of the time and yes I have tested without it. I always ping exetel and have used a clean install computer, not even virus protection installed to see if that made a difference, it didnt. Thank you for the reply.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Tue May 31, 2011 9:52 am

In the 2wire, the Broadbank Link tab -> View Connection Details will provide the results of the most recent line tests: up and down rates, noise margins and attenuations. These can vary a little, but should not be changing markedly at the poor times. You are very near the exchange, and that sometimes introduces complications for high speed services.

If you want to stream pings at Exetel for the record, install Win-MTR, or use the Linux tools on a live CD. For browser download testing, http://www.speedtest.net/ is probably the most useful. There is a ping test linked at that site which uses Java on your machine to emulate the mtr test. The best test is a download manager making a multiple connection to a very fast Akamai server, eg, a Microsoft file download.

snibs

Post by snibs » Tue May 31, 2011 10:33 am

I always use speedtest.net as suggested and the pingtest link on the same page. Here is the modem page you wanted.
DSL Connection Details
DSL Line (Wire Pair): Line 1 (inner pair)
Protocol: G.DMT Annex A
Downstream Rate: 8032 kbps
Upstream Rate: 384 kbps
Channel: Interleaved
Current Noise Margin: 16.0 dB (Downstream) 25.0 dB (Upstream)
Current Attenuation: 7.3 dB (Downstream) 9.0 dB (Upstream)
Current Output Power: 17.3 dBm (Downstream) 7.8 dBm (Upstream)
DSLAM Vendor Information: Country: {0xFF} Vendor: {GSPN} Specific: {0x800}
PVC Info: 8/35

Any help?

I just came from another friends place who is with telstra, (first friend is tpg) speed didn't go under 5 meg and pings were 30 to 40 ms, browsing was noticeably faster also.

I also noticed that the friends ping jitter was always 1 or 2ms, mine varies between 10 and 40ms minute by minute, seems a bit high.

shoner
Exetel Staff

Post by shoner » Tue May 31, 2011 11:55 am

snibs wrote:I always use speedtest.net as suggested and the pingtest link on the same page. Here is the modem page you wanted.
DSL Connection Details
DSL Line (Wire Pair): Line 1 (inner pair)
Protocol: G.DMT Annex A
Downstream Rate: 8032 kbps
Upstream Rate: 384 kbps
Channel: Interleaved
Current Noise Margin: 16.0 dB (Downstream) 25.0 dB (Upstream)
Current Attenuation: 7.3 dB (Downstream) 9.0 dB (Upstream)
Current Output Power: 17.3 dBm (Downstream) 7.8 dBm (Upstream)
DSLAM Vendor Information: Country: {0xFF} Vendor: {GSPN} Specific: {0x800}
PVC Info: 8/35

Any help?

I just came from another friends place who is with telstra, (first friend is tpg) speed didn't go under 5 meg and pings were 30 to 40 ms, browsing was noticeably faster also.

I also noticed that the friends ping jitter was always 1 or 2ms, mine varies between 10 and 40ms minute by minute, seems a bit high.

Hmm, your line status are fine cannot see anything wrong with it. I also went through your tickets and it seems that you had abandoned troubleshooting halfway?
would you mind going through the troubleshooting with one of our engineers in order to isolate the issue?
Last edited by shoner on Tue May 31, 2011 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Helping Making a Better World"

Log a fault ticket Here
or call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)
Exetel Support Portal

snibs

Post by snibs » Tue May 31, 2011 3:02 pm

Yeah ill do it again, the last ticket I remember was when I was told you had to get someone outside of exetel to look at it and if the fault was in my house I would be charged for it, is this ok I was asked, I said ok, I heard nothing after that. We first did all the tests, no filter or phone connected, short cable to modem only etc. Anyway we do again and keep fingers crossed. thanks.

just did a few speed tests, this is the best one, but I think its wrong?? seems faster than that..just did ozspeed and it say 3.5 which is about right so something odd with speedtest at the moment.

ouch yet look at this...

best ping I can remember.

thejeg

Post by thejeg » Tue May 31, 2011 9:04 pm

snibs wrote:Yeah ill do it again, the last ticket I remember was when I was told you had to get someone outside of exetel to look at it and if the fault was in my house I would be charged for it, is this ok I was asked, I said ok, I heard nothing after that. We first did all the tests, no filter or phone connected, short cable to modem only etc. Anyway we do again and keep fingers crossed. thanks.

just did a few speed tests, this is the best one, but I think its wrong?? seems faster than that..just did ozspeed and it say 3.5 which is about right so something odd with speedtest at the moment.

ouch yet look at this...

best ping I can remember.
As you know, We have re-raised this issue to our wholesales supplier in order to get your issue looked in to in a different approach.

I will update you once I get a response from them.