Changing from Powertel to Optus equipment

Connection issues, drop outs or speed related faults for ADSL and ADSL2+ services
maestro

Changing from Powertel to Optus equipment

Post by maestro » Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:10 pm

I put in a change request about three weeks ago to go to the new $50 ADSL2 plus phone plan and haven't heard back from Exetel yet (apart from the original "we have received your request" email). I went to the Exetel website and looked at the "Change Service Status" page and it has the following strange information...

Changing Status: ACTIVE
Optus SQ Generated: YES
Optus SQ Passed: NO
Rejection Date: 2011-05-30
Rejection Reason: NO OPTUS ADSL2 AVAILABLE

(only selected information has been copied).

Does the "Changing Status: ACTIVE" mean that something is still happening? I was under the impression that I would receive an email once my registration was rejected and that the status would change to "DEAD". Neither has happened.
Why does it say "Optus SQ Passed: NO"? I have run ADSL2+ on this line for more than two and a half years with rock-solid reliability. There is no SQ issue on the line.
Why does it say "Rejection Reason: NO OPTUS ADSL2 AVAILABLE"? According to www.adsl2exchanges.com.au, Optus currently has ample ports available, plus I know I'm not on a RIM (I am currently connected to a Powertel DSLAM at the exchange, plus Telstra have advised me that I am not on a RIM).

Has anyone else experienced this? Is there anything I need to do to get this progressed?

dsc68

Re: Changing from Powertel to Optus equipment

Post by dsc68 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:52 pm

I am in exactly the same situation. I'm assuming the reason is that there are no free ports available, though www.adsl2exchanges.com.au doesn't even show Optus as having any presence in my exchange (MNSH).

As to the status of my change, its anyone's guess.

maestro

Post by maestro » Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:26 am

dsc68 wrote:I am in exactly the same situation. I'm assuming the reason is that there are no free ports available, though http://www.adsl2exchanges.com.au doesn't even show Optus as having any presence in my exchange (MNSH).
On Exetel's webpage for new customers to apply for this plan http://www.exetel.com.au/a_plan_pricing_adsl2_new.php when I put my number in, it says...
Exchange Availability: YES
Exchange Capacity Reached: NO
Telephone Service Availability: Transfer Current Telephone Service Available
ADSL2 Service Availability: Not available now

So my understanding of that is that the Exchange has an Optus ADSL2 DSLAM with free ports available as well as the ability to transfer my land line, but they are refusing my connection anyway.

As for the Monash ACT exchange... It doesn't appear to have Optus available at all, so you're probably pretty screwed, unfortunately.

This is one of the big advantages of the NBN... There's no stuffing around with multiple DSLAM owners, the whole thing will be one big government owned access network that provides equal access to all (OK, so some get wireless or satellite, but they've done pretty well to bring them reasonably into line with the fibre offering).

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:58 am

If you are looking forward to a government monopoly you haven't been around long enough to remember the last time. It is the multiple providers versus the privatised PMG that have lowered the prices. My monthly phone bill in those days would pay for well over a year now, and the abysmal service was par for government enterprises. I'd go for competition myself, even if it's complicated sometimes.

dsc68

Post by dsc68 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:18 pm

Dazzled wrote:If you are looking forward to a government monopoly you haven't been around long enough to remember the last time. It is the multiple providers versus the privatised PMG that have lowered the prices. I'd go for competition myself, even if it's complicated sometimes.
Yes, but it was a government monopoly that provided a universal service to everyone and didn't just cherry pick the profitable customers, telling the rest tough luck. The NBN provides the best of both worlds - universal service and competition.

udara
Exetel Staff

Post by udara » Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:24 pm

maestro wrote:I put in a change request about three weeks ago to go to the new $50 ADSL2 plus phone plan and haven't heard back from Exetel yet (apart from the original "we have received your request" email). I went to the Exetel website and looked at the "Change Service Status" page and it has the following strange information...

Changing Status: ACTIVE
Optus SQ Generated: YES
Optus SQ Passed: NO
Rejection Date: 2011-05-30
Rejection Reason: NO OPTUS ADSL2 AVAILABLE

(only selected information has been copied).

Does the "Changing Status: ACTIVE" mean that something is still happening? I was under the impression that I would receive an email once my registration was rejected and that the status would change to "DEAD". Neither has happened.
Why does it say "Optus SQ Passed: NO"? I have run ADSL2+ on this line for more than two and a half years with rock-solid reliability. There is no SQ issue on the line.
Why does it say "Rejection Reason: NO OPTUS ADSL2 AVAILABLE"? According to http://www.adsl2exchanges.com.au, Optus currently has ample ports available, plus I know I'm not on a RIM (I am currently connected to a Powertel DSLAM at the exchange, plus Telstra have advised me that I am not on a RIM).

Has anyone else experienced this? Is there anything I need to do to get this progressed?

dsc68 wrote:I am in exactly the same situation. I'm assuming the reason is that there are no free ports available, though http://www.adsl2exchanges.com.au doesn't even show Optus as having any presence in my exchange (MNSH).

As to the status of my change, its anyone's guess.

Please Drop me an email to udarap@exetel.com.lk , with all the relevant information so that i can try to re-submit your application and see what has exactly gone wrong :)
To Log a fault ticket, please click Here or alternatively call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)

==============
Exetel Support Portal
==============

maestro

Post by maestro » Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:15 am

udara wrote: Please Drop me an email to udarap@exetel.com.lk , with all the relevant information so that i can try to re-submit your application and see what has exactly gone wrong :)
OK, email sent. Thank you for looking into this.

udara
Exetel Staff

Post by udara » Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:20 pm

maestro wrote:
udara wrote: Please Drop me an email to udarap@exetel.com.lk , with all the relevant information so that i can try to re-submit your application and see what has exactly gone wrong :)
OK, email sent. Thank you for looking into this.

I received the email , i am currently following it up with the provisioning team , will provide you an update soon :)
To Log a fault ticket, please click Here or alternatively call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)

==============
Exetel Support Portal
==============

maestro

Post by maestro » Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:59 pm

udara wrote:
maestro wrote:
udara wrote: I received the email , i am currently following it up with the provisioning team , will provide you an update soon :)
Thank you.

Does this mean that I will get the new deal (as offered in the email today) with only $40 per month and two months free ADSL charge?

maestro

Post by maestro » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:29 pm

udara wrote: I received the email , i am currently following it up with the provisioning team , will provide you an update soon :)
Hi, It's been a week and I haven't yet heard back. Is it expected to take this long?

ShaminG
Exetel Staff

Post by ShaminG » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:16 pm

Hi, It's been a week and I haven't yet heard back. Is it expected to take this long?
Sorry about that. We will provide you an update on this before the close of business tomorrow.

maestro

Post by maestro » Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:09 am

ShaminG wrote:
Sorry about that. We will provide you an update on this before the close of business tomorrow.
Still haven't heard. Can you please chase this up as a matter of urgency as we are nearing the end of the discounted offer period.

ShaminG
Exetel Staff

Post by ShaminG » Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:30 pm

Still haven't heard. Can you please chase this up as a matter of urgency as we are nearing the end of the discounted offer period.
Sorry about the delay. Relevant agent is currently working along with the provisioning team on your reported matter. We should be able to provide you an update on this tomorrow.

maestro

Post by maestro » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:37 am

ShaminG wrote:Sorry about the delay. Relevant agent is currently working along with the provisioning team on your reported matter. We should be able to provide you an update on this tomorrow.
Thank you for that, I have now received a reply, however it said that the "provisioning department" had "confirmed that DSL is not serviceable at your address due to distance/speed constraints"... However I have confirmed that it *is* serviceable at my address simply by using ADSL2+ for the last two and a half years at that location.

I have sent a reply asking for the records in the provisioning department to be corrected for my line (after all, it's a tad ridiculous to tell me that there are technical issues preventing you from providing me a service which you are already currently providing me!)

maestro

Post by maestro » Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:26 pm

OK, so I'm now being told that my exchange (the Wollongong exchange) doesn't have Optus equipment.

Exetel's website, plus the ADSL2Exchanges both say that it does (with available ports), plus I know other people who are on Optus equipment on this exchange.

Is anyone else having this issue?

Does anyone know what to do about it?

Exetel's replies keep going along the lines of "Our system is correct in saying that it is unavailable" but they just seem to be going through the different reasons one by one without ever actually checking the root cause.

How can I get someone to actually check the ruddy thing manually, rather than keep looking at some system which gives an answer which doesn't make sense!