Not able to get ADLS2 (optus)?

Connection issues, drop outs or speed related faults for ADSL and ADSL2+ services
vbap

Not able to get ADLS2 (optus)?

Post by vbap » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:56 pm

Hi All,

Bit confused... Looking to get my Mum onto the OF20 Bundle. She currently has phone with Telstra and ADSL2 with iiNet.
She is a long way from the exchange, and with iinet gets about 1.5mbps. This is plenty for her needs though.

A service check of her number (on Exetel website) says her exchange has ADSL2 availability and estimated speed is 1314 kbps (which is what I expect).

I enquired with sales whether they could confirm application would proceed. I was first told that the application would be rejected on both Optus AND Telstra exetel products ?!?!? The reason given was not clear, so I replied again, this time quoting the service check results.
A second response said that the application would be rejected by Optus because ADSL2 requires minimum 3.5mbps - I hadn't heard of this before.
So I asked a third time, whether I could just apply and try my luck. Response was you can, but will be rejected - try ADSL1.

This is all strange, since she gets ADSL2 "product" from iiNet. Maybe Optus' rules are different?
So, to test further, I went to the optus website and applied for an Optus Fusion product using my Mum's the phone number and address when the popup for Service Check appeared. It appears that the service check passed, since I was then taken to the page to complete the order....!

What gives? I would really like to get my Mum on the OF20 deal - the phoneline benefits are much more important than the internet access. I would even be happy to have the OF20 running on mobile broadband for internet!

Maybe someone else can shed some light?

Ticket number is 4031506 if someone wants the details...

ShaminG
Exetel Staff

Re: Not able to get ADLS2 (optus)?

Post by ShaminG » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:32 pm

Maybe someone else can shed some light?

Ticket number is 4031506 if someone wants the details...
I have arranged one of my colleagues from the Sales department to look into your inquiry. :)

vbap

Post by vbap » Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:53 pm

Well, I have applied for OF20 anyway.

If that gets rejected, I will go to the Optus fusion $79 product (so $30 more per month than OF20, and 24months instead of 12). I checked with online chat at Optus and the number/address passes their checks.

A real shame if Optus wholesale rejects Exetel's request, but approves Optus Retail's request - cause for further investigation I would have thought!

EDIT: Just found Optus Fusions's "Seniors" plans (Mum qualifies). I would likely go with the $50/month plan, which is same as OF20 but includes only 5GB data (up+down) - still 24 months - but also much more than she needs. So, pretty much comparable to OF20.
But, I would still prefer Exetel option (12 months contract) and also would like to get her on a CAP19 to replace her $15/mo prepaid mobile.

ForumAdmin
Exetel Staff

Post by ForumAdmin » Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:58 pm

vbap wrote:Well, I have applied for OF20 anyway.

If that gets rejected, I will go to the Optus fusion $79 product (so $30 more per month than OF20, and 24months instead of 12). I checked with online chat at Optus and the number/address passes their checks.

A real shame if Optus wholesale rejects Exetel's request, but approves Optus Retail's request - cause for further investigation I would have thought!

EDIT: Just found Optus Fusions's "Seniors" plans (Mum qualifies). I would likely go with the $50/month plan, which is same as OF20 but includes only 5GB data (up+down) - still 24 months - but also much more than she needs. So, pretty much comparable to OF20.
But, I would still prefer Exetel option (12 months contract) and also would like to get her on a CAP19 to replace her $15/mo prepaid mobile.
Please send your mother's FNN to:

paulp@exetel.com.au

and tell him it passes the Optus Residential test but not Exetel's.

vbap

Post by vbap » Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:16 pm

ForumAdmin wrote: Please send your mother's FNN to:

paulp@exetel.com.au

and tell him it passes the Optus Residential test but not Exetel's.
Thanks - done.

vbap

Post by vbap » Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:56 pm

paulp is following up on a few things, which is great.
The main concern is that the distance from the exchange is right at the limit, and so a stable connection may not be guaranteed (although it has been stable for last couple of years with iiNet, a change in wholesale provider may tip it over since there will be a cable change at some point).

So, got me thinking, all the telcos are currently missing a "bundle" opportunity: Phoneline + Mobile Broadband. Pitched to people in a situation like my Mum...

Phoneline: $30/mon for line rentals + free local/nationals calls
MBB: $x /mon, depending on chosen data allowance.

Add a CAPx plan for further discounts....

vbap

Post by vbap » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:01 pm

Just wanted to update this thread for "completeness".

My application with Exetel was formally rejected, and paul explained that after chasing up with Telstra, the line length was in the order of 6.4km, which is below the quality standards for Exetel.

Well, today my Mum's phone & internet were ported to Optus (on their $50 "Seniors Bundle"). I have to say, it was quite smooth.
I walked her through the modem set up (we live interstate) over the phone and eventually got her connected. I then used Teamviewer to remotely log on to her computer and do some checks and tests.

According to Speedtest, her connection is about 1.7mbps down, and 0.6mbps up. Modem stats (an iConnect 621 - the one originally supplied with iiNet) are:

Code: Select all

Us Rate (Kbps)         792
Ds Rate (Kbps)        2019
US Margin               12
DS Margin               12
Trained Modulation   ADSL2 
LOS Errors               0
DS Line Attenuation     52
US Line Attenuation     30
Peak Cell Rate        1867 cells per sec
CRC Rx Fast              0
CRC Tx Fast              0
CRC Rx Interleaved       8
CRC Tx Interleaved       0
Path Mode            Interleaved
I was logged on to her machine for about 30 minutes, no dropouts. I guess we'll see how it goes over time.
Thanks again for to paul for his help - Shame we couldn't get this through Exetel!

(And since my Mum couldn't get ADSL through Exetel, she couldn't get the a Z* plan or a discounted CAP plan in her own right - so I applied for a Z* plan on my account. Her SIM arrived also this morning, and the port from her Three prepaid SIM went quite smoothly!).