Logging in to 192.168.1.1

Connection issues, drop outs or speed related faults for ADSL and ADSL2+ services
Ted D

Logging in to 192.168.1.1

Post by Ted D » Sun Jul 31, 2011 5:15 pm

I'm trying to set up a Netcomm NB6PLUS4W Rev2 for my daughter on a new exetel plan. When I get to step 2 in the quick set-up and type 192.168.1.1 into the address bar on the web browser a message comes up "cannot connect to 192.168.1.1"

I have tried different things to connect without success.

Any ideas?

Tomorrow I am planning to restore the system to an earlier date and try to start again.

Any assistance gratefully accepted.

Regards

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: Logging in to 192.168.1.1

Post by CoreyPlover » Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:30 pm

Firstly, make sure you are accessing the modem via a wired connection. You can check this connection by opening up a Command Prompt window and typing IPCONFIG. Even better, use the command "IPCONFIG > C:\output.txt", then copy and post the contents of the output.txt file here. You are looking to see an IP address of 192.168.1.?.

These instructions are for Windows XP, but if you are not getting the right IP address, then go through Control Panel, Network Connections, right click Local Area Network, Properties, Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), Properties and make sure that you have both the IP address and DNS address set to "auto assign". Also check under Advanced, DNS tab and make sure there are no DNS suffixes set then retry the IPCONFIG.

Failing all this, you might want to try a hard reset of the modem (paperclip into the back reset port? or it might be holding down the power button for 10 seconds). The modem lights will flash and then you can retry the ordinary setup instructions (connect via ethernet cable and access 192.168.1.1).
I am a volunteer moderator and not an Exetel staff member. As with all forum posts, mine do not constitute any "official" Exetel position. Support tickets may be logged via https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au