New House, Slower than expected and unhappy

Connection issues, drop outs or speed related faults for ADSL and ADSL2+ services
ethanw

New House, Slower than expected and unhappy

Post by ethanw » Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:38 pm

Hi

I have already logged a ticket and been told that due to distance I am getting an acceptable speed, ticket closed.

I live in killarney vale nsw, and checking on adslexchange i am approx 3.5 kms from the exchange. This seems accurate when looking at my line attentuation currently 26db downstream and 31.5 upstream. Also my family live in the next suburb bateau bay which is further away from the exchange and get a better speed than me approx (3.5Mbps)(Also exetel).

I have done everything asked of me from support but wanted to know of any similiar experiences and whether line attentuation actually does correspond to distance and or expected speed???..

My next step is to ask neighbours what sort of speeds they are getting and with who. I work in IT and have been fairly lucky over the years and always had a good connection. The slowness has now killed any PS3 game/video downloads, foxtel on demand and other services that require the higher bandwith.

Some details:
simultaneus downloads:
Microsoft: 91.2KB/Sec
Apple:95.7KB/Sec
nvidia: 121KB/Sec

Exetel speedtest
2:30 pm sunday
Your current bandwidth reading is:
1.96 Mbps
which means you can download at 250.64 KB/sec. from our servers.

Speedtest.net
2.23Mbps download
0.27Mbps upload
58ms ping

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: New House, Slower than expected and unhappy

Post by Dazzled » Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:57 pm

There's something odd about those numbers. The three at once download is the best download indicator (about 3 Mbps), but your attenuation readings don't match 3.5 km for standard cable, and upload should normally attenuate less than download. What ping time do you get to Exetel?

(.40PIUT attenuation is calculated at at 13.81 dB/km at 300 kHz - real world is a bit more - the modem status reading is a summary found after physically testing each frequency bin)

ethanw

Post by ethanw » Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:13 pm

I am hoping for a better explanation and talking to neighbours might be the only way to find out true real world examples. If I have to pay for my home lines to be replaced I would consider it if I new it would improve the speed considerably.

ADSL2 exchange says I am 3029M from the long jetty exchange. It estimates my cable length to be 3634M

When I put all of the figures below into a calculator I get http://fremnet.net/article/216/adsl-the ... calculator :

Attainable Rate (ADSL2) – kbit/s 14552
Distance to exchange (Meters) 2276

=========================================================
Some figures from my modem config:

Downstream Upstream
SNR Margin 14.5 dB 13.0 dB
Line Attenuation 33.0 dB 31.5 dB
CRC Errors 0 0
==========================================================
Pinging www.exetel.com.au [220.233.0.9] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 220.233.0.9: bytes=32 time=41ms TTL=60
Reply from 220.233.0.9: bytes=32 time=42ms TTL=60
Reply from 220.233.0.9: bytes=32 time=44ms TTL=60
Reply from 220.233.0.9: bytes=32 time=42ms TTL=60

Ping statistics for 220.233.0.9:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 41ms, Maximum = 44ms, Average = 42ms

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:05 pm

Thanks. That gives the support staff useful information to look into your problem.

Your noise margin is generous, but I would expect better than 3 Mbps for that attenuation. I imagine that you have a Telstra service at Killarney Vale, and if there are subexchanges and RIMs in the area (article at http://whirlpool.net.au/wiki/rim_remote ... ultiplexer and at http://whirlpool.net.au/wiki/cmux_the_successor_to_rim, picture at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Telst ... d_CMUX.jpg), the line length estimate from adsl2exchanges.com.au may need adjusting. The Shannon Wynter website does the theoretical computation I gave above, for one frequency only, but the real world is worse, as there are cable joins and other impediments.

Your modem and the exchange mutually perform the test battery in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G.992.1 to establish the actual line rate. A noise margin set at about 12 dB is usually reasonable for stability.

Musicinbed

Post by Musicinbed » Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:37 pm

ethanw wrote: Some figures from my modem config:
You should be able to also find your sync speed within your modem config information. Try to find that number!

It may be that exetel is throttling your single-thread downloads, that's why you can increase your speed by downloading multiple things at once. There is a discussion on whirlpool at the moment with people doing multiple international and national single threaded tests to try and determine if there is an issue.
Here's the thread, I suggest you run the 3 ozspeedtest's and post your results. http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-re ... ?t=1759317

You could also try experimenting with a multi-thread downloader and see if your speed improves (it probably will).

ethanw

Post by ethanw » Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:50 pm

Its a Exetel / Optus line.

and sync speed from the modem is below:
Annex Type ADSL2A
Upstream 313400
Downstream 2540200

what would anyone recommend from here?

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:35 pm

If that is 2540 kbps down and 313 kbps up for the attenuations you have given, I suggest you first try the modem in isolation (everything else unplugged from the phone service, inc filters, handsets, faxes and alarms) at the first outlet in the house, and if there is no improvement, log a ticket or email residentialsupport@exetel.com.au with the complete status details and your download tests. Put the modem line mode in auto discovery mode.

They will probably ask for an isolation test, so mention the result in your email.

shoner

Post by shoner » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:49 am

Musicinbed wrote:
ethanw wrote: Some figures from my modem config:
You should be able to also find your sync speed within your modem config information. Try to find that number!

It may be that exetel is throttling your single-thread downloads, that's why you can increase your speed by downloading multiple things at once. There is a discussion on whirlpool at the moment with people doing multiple international and national single threaded tests to try and determine if there is an issue.
Here's the thread, I suggest you run the 3 ozspeedtest's and post your results. http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-re ... ?t=1759317

You could also try experimenting with a multi-thread downloader and see if your speed improves (it probably will).
This seems to be a duplicate post
viewtopic.php?f=284&t=38507&p=294451#p294451
"Helping Making a Better World"

Log a fault ticket Here
or call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)
Exetel Support Portal