Is there anything that can be done?

Connection issues, drop outs or speed related faults for ADSL and ADSL2+ services
my99

Is there anything that can be done?

Post by my99 » Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:46 pm

Hi,

I been having very slow speeds during peak times with exetel since signing up in march

Right now this is what i got at about 7.30pm
http://www.speedtest.net/result/1442954998.png
http://www.exetel.com.au/speed/results. ... recorded=1

Modem stats:
Interleave Path
Status SHOWTIME
Downstream Upstream
Data rate(Kbps) 18838 1020
Noise Margin 5 7
Output power(dBm) 12 17
Attenuation(dB) 27 15

if i was to do a speedtest in the morning i'd be looking at 14-16 Mb/s
The problem is the slow speeds/peak times seems to be for like half of the day & night.

Anyway i found out telstra are doing a backhaul upgrade in october at the medowie exchange
hopefully this will resolve these problems? Anyway is there anything that can be done before then?
This is really starting to annoy me

Bravo0246

Re: Is there anything that can be done?

Post by Bravo0246 » Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:46 pm

I'm having the exact same problems also, just got a new service connected at the start of this month and has been bad ever since.
I just recently emailed exetel about it so hopefully they can resolve the problem.

Cause i got internet connected for online gaming but can't be used for it at the moment as i get latencies of 200ms+ that get me kicked from servers.
Though i can play online during times of about 4am(get 15ms ping) but australian servers are quite lonely at those times. :(

My brother who lives two houses down the street, his also with exetel and his net is fine during peak times with minimal loss in speeds.

Though his house is connected to different pillar in street, i'm connected to the one a bit further away from the exchange.

my99

Post by my99 » Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:35 pm

Bravo0246 wrote:I'm having the exact same problems also, just got a new service connected at the start of this month and has been bad ever since.
I just recently emailed exetel about it so hopefully they can resolve the problem.

Cause i got internet connected for online gaming but can't be used for it at the moment as i get latencies of 200ms+ that get me kicked from servers.
Though i can play online during times of about 4am(get 15ms ping) but australian servers are quite lonely at those times. :(

My brother who lives two houses down the street, his also with exetel and his net is fine during peak times with minimal loss in speeds.

Though his house is connected to different pillar in street, i'm connected to the one a bit further away from the exchange.
Hi, Thanks for the reply.

I also do a bit of online gaming but i dont seem to have any latency issues. I just lose most of the bandwidth

Hope your issue gets sorted :)

Musicinbed

Post by Musicinbed » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:23 am

we've pretty much confirmed that exetel are throttling single-connection bandwidth here: http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-re ... ?t=1759317

I'd like to know if anything can be done too. A few people seem to be unaffected, perhaps something is malfunctioning on exetel's side?

Could an exetel staff member comment on this or try to find out what exactly is going on please?

shoner

Post by shoner » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:39 am

Musicinbed wrote:we've pretty much confirmed that exetel are throttling single-connection bandwidth here: http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-re ... ?t=1759317

I'd like to know if anything can be done too. A few people seem to be unaffected, perhaps something is malfunctioning on exetel's side?

Could an exetel staff member comment on this or try to find out what exactly is going on please?
The forum link that you have highlighted does not confirm any thing. Exetel certainly does not throttle services in anyway. I suggest that you log a service issue and let one of out engineers properly investigate as to what can be causing your slow speeds.

As for as your connection is concerned it is not throttled at any time or in anyway.

Most probably something can be done after troubleshooting :)
"Helping Making a Better World"

Log a fault ticket Here
or call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)
Exetel Support Portal

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:57 am

This single thread thing would be better elsewhere if it develops, (ie, it's unfair to my99 arguing it out here) but I'm as curious as the next bloke.

Briefly, I varied the Whirlpool test. I aimed a single connection downloader at two fast UK newspaper sites, following the links to the images, until I had >3 MB saved. I was getting well more than 600 kB/s, which is quite a good result for my service. 2 connections was enough to max me.

Further throttle correspondence in a new topic please.

Bravo0246

Post by Bravo0246 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:18 am

Musicinbed wrote:we've pretty much confirmed that exetel are throttling single-connection bandwidth here: http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-re ... ?t=1759317

My internet is fine at the moment, though that's only cause it's a weekday as soon as it's around 2pm it will slow right down.
On the weekend though it's just bad all day from 9am till about 12 midnight.

I hope this problem can be fixed soon as i want to be playing red orchestra 2 in peak times.

shoner

Post by shoner » Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:23 am

Bravo0246 wrote:

My internet is fine at the moment, though that's only cause it's a weekday as soon as it's around 2pm it will slow right down.
On the weekend though it's just bad all day from 9am till about 12 midnight.

I hope this problem can be fixed soon as i want to be playing red orchestra 2 in peak times.
Please log a service issue with us so that our engineers could troubleshoot the issue. At present there does not seem to be an issue with the service, hence we need to do more troubleshooting to get to the bottom if this.
"Helping Making a Better World"

Log a fault ticket Here
or call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)
Exetel Support Portal

Bravo0246

Post by Bravo0246 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:31 am

Did on Saturday, then i was asked to do 3 random tests during the times i get good speed and 3 during slow times.
Which then i replied back with my results and now just waiting back for a reply to see if they can fix the issue.

stevecJ
Forum Admin

Post by stevecJ » Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:44 pm

Bravo0246 wrote:Did on Saturday, then i was asked to do 3 random tests during the times i get good speed and 3 during slow times.
Which then i replied back with my results and now just waiting back for a reply to see if they can fix the issue.
The ticket (4331771) which you have logged is currently being investigated and one of the support engineers will reply to you shortly. :)
To Log a fault ticket, please click click here or alternatively call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)

=================
Exetel Support Portal
=================

Bravo0246

Post by Bravo0246 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:10 pm

Dear Sir,

Thank you for your e-mail.

Please note that we have investigated this issue with our wholesale supplier and they are confirming that you are getting slow speeds during the peak hours due to the contention at the local exchange. However there is no ETR on this at the moment and this is beyond the exetel's control.

Regards,
Well now it's on Telstra to increase the capacity the lines can handle.
I'm told if i reduce down back to ADSL 1, I will have a more stable connection.
But it's $20 more for the equivilent plan. :(

EromalR
Exetel Staff

Post by EromalR » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:35 pm

Bravo0246 wrote:
Dear Sir,

Thank you for your e-mail.

Please note that we have investigated this issue with our wholesale supplier and they are confirming that you are getting slow speeds during the peak hours due to the contention at the local exchange. However there is no ETR on this at the moment and this is beyond the exetel's control.

Regards,
Well now it's on Telstra to increase the capacity the lines can handle.
I'm told if i reduce down back to ADSL 1, I will have a more stable connection.
But it's $20 more for the equivilent plan. :(
All plan changes on ADSL currently incur a charge of $20. Please drop an email to the attention of a supervisor

my99

Post by my99 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:21 pm

Well i'm still getting these horrid speeds. And no one is willing to answer my questions

Over a month later things seem to be much the same, if not worse.

tonight's tests

8:05pm http://www.speedtest.net/result/1515867925.png
I can't even conduct an test on exetel speed test because it's to slow

Anyway i found out telstra are doing a backhaul upgrade in october at the medowie exchange
hopefully this will resolve these problems? Is there anything that can be done before then?
This is really starting to annoy me

TIA

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:43 pm

Medowie MDWI is supplied exclusively by Telstra Wholesale, whose upgrade list is available at http://telstrawholesale.com/products/do ... e_list.xls. It has two upgrades completed in June and September this year, and another due this month. Hope this helps.

shnikshnak

Post by shnikshnak » Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:43 pm

lol, be grateful you're not getting my speeds!

can't even read the news online while streaming radio! well it is possible... but the radio keeps cutting out :roll: