Frequent Disconnection

Connection issues, drop outs or speed related faults for ADSL and ADSL2+ services
wengz90

Frequent Disconnection

Post by wengz90 » Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:29 pm

Hi Admin,

I have recently subscribed to Exetel ADSL2 broadband plan & paying $60 a month. The connection speed is good but I am getting frequent disconnection every day. Once or twice in everyday. It is very frustrating as I am using it to do my work halfway & it gets disconnected. Any idea whats wrong with the connection. It only disconnects for a minute. I am currently using NetComm NB6Plus4W modem. Thanks in advance.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: Frequent Disconnection

Post by Dazzled » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:37 am

During that minute, do you see your modem lights flashing in the same way as when you boot it up? If so, something local to you has caused the modem to select its error option, which is to drop out the connection. Drop outs will be listed in the modem log usually as DOWN, followed by UP when it restarts.

The next step is to find the cause. The candidates are: a fault at the exchange or on the phone line to your house; a faulty modem; and a noise source entering the line from inside your place, either from faulty wiring or equipment. The last is very common. Exetel support can investigate the first, the others need to be checked by you. Start with an isolation test. Connect your modem to the first phone point in your house, on a short cable, and disconnect everything else from the phone wall sockets (including faxes, alarms, phones and filters). Read the line status in the modem. Has it improved? Then put things back one at a time. If the situation improves at some point, you have found the faulty device.

If this doesn't solve the problem, email residentialsupport@exetel.com.au, and tell them your modem line status figures and the result of your isolation test. They can perform further tests on the external phone line. They may ask you to unplug all your equipment during testing.

wengz90

Post by wengz90 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:49 pm

Dear Dazzled,

Yes, the ADSL light & PPP light starts blinking. Its like the modem restarting every time. My modem is connected directly to the main phone line without spilter or any other devices connecting such as phone or fax. The disconnection is random. Sometimes there's no disconnection for the whole day and the next day it gets disconnected 2 to 3 times. The modem is a new modem from NetComm and I don't think its a faulty modem fault.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:06 pm

It looks as though the line needs testing. Drop an email to support.

NadunH
Exetel Staff

Post by NadunH » Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:55 pm

Yes, the ADSL light & PPP light starts blinking. Its like the modem restarting every time. My modem is connected directly to the main phone line without spilter or any other devices connecting such as phone or fax. The disconnection is random. Sometimes there's no disconnection for the whole day and the next day it gets disconnected 2 to 3 times. The modem is a new modem from NetComm and I don't think its a faulty modem fault.
I refer to the telephone conversation we had earlier in the day. With the initial testing We do not see any errors on the connection.
If you have any further concerns with regards to the matter, please contact us with the Ticket ID: 4430703.

wengz90

Post by wengz90 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:03 pm

Alright. I will try to monitor the situation and see how it goes. Thanks in advance

KavindaS
Exetel Staff

Post by KavindaS » Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:59 pm

wengz90 wrote:Alright. I will try to monitor the situation and see how it goes. Thanks in advance
No worries at all. You may monitor it and let us know if any further investigation need by quoting 4430703. :)

Mixer

Post by Mixer » Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:43 pm

wengz90 wrote:Hi Admin,

It only disconnects for a minute. I am currently using NetComm NB6Plus4W modem.
I had issues with the NB6Plus4W - line dropouts and LAN ports dying, it appeared to be heat related, try making sure that the modem is getting good airflow.
RAND-NBN50- ZTE H268A

wengz90

Post by wengz90 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:37 am

The modem is definitely getting good airflow because I just put it right on my table. I've already tried disconnecting every single cable n replug but it seems that the disconnection still continues. =/

NadunH
Exetel Staff

Post by NadunH » Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:01 pm

The modem is definitely getting good airflow because I just put it right on my table. I've already tried disconnecting every single cable n replug but it seems that the disconnection still continues. =/
As discussed, it is adviseable to check the connection with an alternate borrowed modem before we go ahead with any service issues. :)

Mixer

Post by Mixer » Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:03 pm

wengz90 wrote:The modem is definitely getting good airflow
wengz90, before I got rid of my Netcomm it had all the panels off just to keep it cool. As suggested borrow a modem, or buy a TPLink? cheapo as backup. The Netcomm NB6 have a bit of heat related history with a common issue of caps drying out, hence intermittent performance. Good Luck
RAND-NBN50- ZTE H268A

wengz90

Post by wengz90 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:44 pm

Hi admin, I've already tried using another modem. I borrowed my friend's NetGear modem but the problem still seems to persist. I've also noticed recently there is a slowdown in speed and some connection issues. Sometimes I'm connected to the net but I couldn't load webpages or very slow in loading certain websites such as facebook. Both my housemates which are using the wifi couldn't connect to the network sometimes and I've to restart the modem to solve the problem. Any idea regarding this issue?

rukshani
Exetel Staff

Post by rukshani » Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:20 pm

wengz90 wrote:Hi admin, I've already tried using another modem. I borrowed my friend's NetGear modem but the problem still seems to persist. I've also noticed recently there is a slowdown in speed and some connection issues. Sometimes I'm connected to the net but I couldn't load webpages or very slow in loading certain websites such as facebook. Both my housemates which are using the wifi couldn't connect to the network sometimes and I've to restart the modem to solve the problem. Any idea regarding this issue?
A support engineer is looking in to this.

NadunH
Exetel Staff

Post by NadunH » Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:56 pm

Hi admin, I've already tried using another modem. I borrowed my friend's NetGear modem but the problem still seems to persist. I've also noticed recently there is a slowdown in speed and some connection issues. Sometimes I'm connected to the net but I couldn't load webpages or very slow in loading certain websites such as facebook. Both my housemates which are using the wifi couldn't connect to the network sometimes and I've to restart the modem to solve the problem. Any idea regarding this issue?
I refer to the telephone discussion we had earlier. As discussed we have escalated the issue towards the wholesale supplier under the reference number 4450748. We will update you once we receive an update from them...

wengz90

Post by wengz90 » Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:19 am

The problem is getting worse as these 2 days my connection speed is extremely slow. Speedtest results show that my speed is only 1mbps or lower. Sometimes i couldn't even load webpage