Connection established but no traffic passes

Connection issues, drop outs or speed related faults for ADSL and ADSL2+ services
blerton

Connection established but no traffic passes

Post by blerton » Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:56 pm

I've had two Exetel services for quite some time, both in QLD (Mt Gravatt 4122 and South Brisbane 4101). Both have been fine but recently the South Brisbane service has suddenly stopped working. The premises at that address are currently unattended but there are several working computers there that were regularly communicating with a DC project. From the project website I can see that the computers stopped communicating about noon on 13th October. Nothing happened at the premises which could account for the loss of connection. I went to the premises to check things out. Everything appeared to be normal so I just power cycled the modem. I watched it reboot normally and saw it make the connection. It acquired the proper IP address but still no traffic was able to pass over the link. The only thing that seemed different was that the DNS servers were listed as 58.96.3.34 (P) and 220.233.0.3 (S). I'm sure they used to be (and still are at Mt Gravatt) 220.233.0.3 and 220.233.0.4.

I've now done an isolation test (there was a fax machine on the line) and have also set up and tried 3 different modems, all to no avail. There have been quite a few cold restarts of these modems and they always successfuly authenticate and establish a DSL connection. Each different modem does exactly the same thing. It successfully authenticates with the radius server palmnut-radius and appears to be properly connected. However, a browser is unable to make a connection to any internet site. I can ping 58.96.3.34 (palmnut-dns] and sites like google.com.au are correctly resolved to the correct IP address. A ping to google.com.au simply times out with no response. A ping to 220.233.0.3 gets no response. The only places I get a response from are palmnut-radius, palmnut-dns and the gateway 58.96.3.202.

I would appreciate it if a staff member could take a look at this. I'll send the service number when requested, thanks.

chathurad
Exetel Staff

Re: Connection established but no traffic passes

Post by chathurad » Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:28 am

blerton wrote:I've had two Exetel services for quite some time, both in QLD (Mt Gravatt 4122 and South Brisbane 4101). Both have been fine but recently the South Brisbane service has suddenly stopped working. The premises at that address are currently unattended but there are several working computers there that were regularly communicating with a DC project. From the project website I can see that the computers stopped communicating about noon on 13th October. Nothing happened at the premises which could account for the loss of connection. I went to the premises to check things out. Everything appeared to be normal so I just power cycled the modem. I watched it reboot normally and saw it make the connection. It acquired the proper IP address but still no traffic was able to pass over the link. The only thing that seemed different was that the DNS servers were listed as 58.96.3.34 (P) and 220.233.0.3 (S). I'm sure they used to be (and still are at Mt Gravatt) 220.233.0.3 and 220.233.0.4.

I've now done an isolation test (there was a fax machine on the line) and have also set up and tried 3 different modems, all to no avail. There have been quite a few cold restarts of these modems and they always successfuly authenticate and establish a DSL connection. Each different modem does exactly the same thing. It successfully authenticates with the radius server palmnut-radius and appears to be properly connected. However, a browser is unable to make a connection to any internet site. I can ping 58.96.3.34 (palmnut-dns] and sites like google.com.au are correctly resolved to the correct IP address. A ping to google.com.au simply times out with no response. A ping to 220.233.0.3 gets no response. The only places I get a response from are palmnut-radius, palmnut-dns and the gateway 58.96.3.202.

I would appreciate it if a staff member could take a look at this. I'll send the service number when requested, thanks.

Dear blerton,

As per the telephone conversation, we could resolve the issue. Please monitor the service and get back to us if you require further assistance. :)
Please keep the REF# 4503707 for future reference.

Regards

blerton

Post by blerton » Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:47 am

chathurad wrote:

Dear blerton,

As per the telephone conversation, we could resolve the issue. Please monitor the service and get back to us if you require further assistance. :)

Regards
Thanks for attending to this. I'm not at the location currently but by using my other service, I can see the computers communicating with the DC project now so everything looks good. I also notice the multiple radius logins this morning so I guess it took a few attempts to get the configuration error corrected. I'm very pleased that it's finally been sorted, thank you.

Regards

chathurad
Exetel Staff

Post by chathurad » Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:08 pm

blerton wrote:
chathurad wrote:

Dear blerton,

Regards
Thanks for attending to this. I'm not at the location currently but by using my other service, I can see the computers communicating with the DC project now so everything looks good. I also notice the multiple radius logins this morning so I guess it took a few attempts to get the configuration error corrected. I'm very pleased that it's finally been sorted, thank you.

Regards

You are welcome. :)