Drop Outs

Connection issues, drop outs or speed related faults for ADSL and ADSL2+ services
nucari

Drop Outs

Post by nucari » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:36 am

I'm hoping someone can help me with a problem I am experiencing with my internet connection. For the past 36 hours I have been having constant line dropouts with my ADSL2+ Telstra-based connection. When dropping out, the DSL light on the modem will stay on for about 30 to 60 seconds, then will go out (ie. not light up) for about 1 minute and will then blink for 20 to 50 times before either going out or on again for the next 30 to 60 seconds. This sequence then repeats itself.

This has been an an intermittent problem since my service was transferred from an AAPT-based plan to the Telstra-based plan in June 2011. I do not remember ever experiencing this problem prior to the transfer (previous 2 years). In August 2011 I logged a service request about this issue which was not resolved at the time because I decided that the connection was ok and that I could live with the occasional dropout. The dropouts have mainly occurred during rainy periods (but not during all rainy periods) at night, once a month or so and these have generally lasted for a few hours. However the latest dropouts have been constant for the last 36 hours when it has not been raining.

I have gone through the steps listed on the Exetel website about Drop Out Problems but have not been able to resolve the issue. This includes turining off the modem for 15 minutes, removing all other devices from the line, checking telephone dial tone and performing an isolation test.

Are there any tests that can be performed at Exetel's end to check my connection status? What else can be done?

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: Drop Outs

Post by Dazzled » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:53 pm

When the DSL light goes the modem has lost contact with the exchange or has deliberately dropped the connection. The blinking sequence is the modem going through its procedures to re-establish a connection. The 15 minutes off procedure you tried is a little different, as it forces the exchange port to re-initialise itself. Sometimes the error is a faulty modem, but line noise and faults are common. All common modems are designed to drop out and reboot if the signal is overwhelmed by noise.

Telstra isn't as open as Optus, but Exetel support staff can get line tests run, so either wait for a support staff member to come by (who will ask you to PM the phone number), or else email residentialsupport@exetel.com.au with the full particulars.

stevecJ
Exetel Staff

Re: Drop Outs

Post by stevecJ » Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:14 pm

nucari wrote:I'm hoping someone can help me with a problem I am experiencing with my internet connection. For the past 36 hours I have been having constant line dropouts with my ADSL2+ Telstra-based connection. When dropping out, the DSL light on the modem will stay on for about 30 to 60 seconds, then will go out (ie. not light up) for about 1 minute and will then blink for 20 to 50 times before either going out or on again for the next 30 to 60 seconds. This sequence then repeats itself.

This has been an an intermittent problem since my service was transferred from an AAPT-based plan to the Telstra-based plan in June 2011. I do not remember ever experiencing this problem prior to the transfer (previous 2 years). In August 2011 I logged a service request about this issue which was not resolved at the time because I decided that the connection was ok and that I could live with the occasional dropout. The dropouts have mainly occurred during rainy periods (but not during all rainy periods) at night, once a month or so and these have generally lasted for a few hours. However the latest dropouts have been constant for the last 36 hours when it has not been raining.

I have gone through the steps listed on the Exetel website about Drop Out Problems but have not been able to resolve the issue. This includes turining off the modem for 15 minutes, removing all other devices from the line, checking telephone dial tone and performing an isolation test.

Are there any tests that can be performed at Exetel's end to check my connection status? What else can be done?

Hi,

Could you please PM me your service number so I can look in to this for you :?:
To Log a fault ticket, please click click here or alternatively call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)

=================
Exetel Support Portal
=================