Why relocation charge is as high as early cancellation fee?

Connection issues, drop outs or speed related faults for ADSL and ADSL2+ services
bathuu

Why relocation charge is as high as early cancellation fee?

Post by bathuu » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:09 pm

I am thinking of moving to different place and surprised to find relocation charge is $90 as almost high as early cancellation of service. Why this is so high, like a penalty, when customer has no intention to terminate the service and just moving to different place due to residential complications. With only $10 extra, a customer can easily leave the Exetel and switch to different ISP, when they are penalized like this. Can someone please explain a motive behind this high relocation charge?

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: Why relocation charge is as high as early cancellation f

Post by CoreyPlover » Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:14 pm

I can't officially speak for Exetel, but a relocation is identical to a cancellation of the current service and the provisioning of the new one, therefore it is not surprising to find that the costs are similar. After all, Exetel is simply passing on the costs imposed on them from the process.

Every now and then, there are cheaper "relocation" costs, but this seems to be mainly driven by promotional deals made by Optus as part of the re-signup of the customer on a new contract (i.e. Optus absorb the termination fee in exchange for a renewal of contract, hence the relocation ends up cheaper).
I am a volunteer moderator and not an Exetel staff member. As with all forum posts, mine do not constitute any "official" Exetel position. Support tickets may be logged via https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au

remosha
Exetel Staff

Re: Why relocation charge is as high as early cancellation f

Post by remosha » Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:31 pm

bathuu wrote:I am thinking of moving to different place and surprised to find relocation charge is $90 as almost high as early cancellation of service. Why this is so high, like a penalty, when customer has no intention to terminate the service and just moving to different place due to residential complications. With only $10 extra, a customer can easily leave the Exetel and switch to different ISP, when they are penalized like this. Can someone please explain a motive behind this high relocation charge?
Kindly note that when it comes to a relocation, technically it is an existing service termination & a new service activation at another location, as defined by our wholesalers.
When Exetel signs you up with a plan in return the wholesaler assigns a specific time frame which is a contract period while fees/levies associated with these are compulsory & beyond the control of the ISP.
However, if you could please send an email to residentialsales@exetel.com.au with the subject "Forum post -Why relocation charge is as high as early cancellation fee?" quoting your service number, we can check what we can do for you.