Slow ADSL2+

Connection issues, drop outs or speed related faults for ADSL and ADSL2+ services
Post Reply
ttac
Posts: 24
Joined: Sun Sep 18, 2005 12:30 am
Location: Sydney

Slow ADSL2+

Post by ttac » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:27 pm

I'm on the Granville (NSW) exchange and speed is very slow at the moment, d/l 0.13MB/s and u/l .59MB/s. Anyone else having a problem out here? Was dropping out a lot since about 5pm. The dropouts have stopped but now very slow. Yesterday had a lot of dropouts at about 6pm but the speed improved to about 7MB/s later during the night. Currently
d/s u/s
Noise Margin 33 13
Output power(dBm) 41 24
Attenuation(dB) 124 156

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin
Posts: 6003
Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:16 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Slow ADSL2+

Post by Dazzled » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:52 pm

The margin is excessive and the attenuation reading is so high I'm surprised anything works. Either the modem has failed or there is a line problem, which could include your home installation. Exetel support can look at your line. Try running the modem in isolation to see if anything changes, to be sure it's not at home. Make sure the modem cable to the wall point is short.

rukshani
Exetel Staff
Posts: 275
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: Slow ADSL2+

Post by rukshani » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:53 pm

ttac wrote:I'm on the Granville (NSW) exchange and speed is very slow at the moment, d/l 0.13MB/s and u/l .59MB/s. Anyone else having a problem out here? Was dropping out a lot since about 5pm. The dropouts have stopped but now very slow. Yesterday had a lot of dropouts at about 6pm but the speed improved to about 7MB/s later during the night. Currently
d/s u/s
Noise Margin 33 13
Output power(dBm) 41 24
Attenuation(dB) 124 156
An Exetel support engineer will look in to this soon.

stevecJ
Forum Admin
Posts: 1041
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:48 am

Re: Slow ADSL2+

Post by stevecJ » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:54 pm

ttac wrote:I'm on the Granville (NSW) exchange and speed is very slow at the moment, d/l 0.13MB/s and u/l .59MB/s. Anyone else having a problem out here? Was dropping out a lot since about 5pm. The dropouts have stopped but now very slow. Yesterday had a lot of dropouts at about 6pm but the speed improved to about 7MB/s later during the night. Currently
d/s u/s
Noise Margin 33 13
Output power(dBm) 41 24
Attenuation(dB) 124 156
Hi,

I have checked your connection and it appears to be more stable at the moment. I have done a port rebuild and few changes to the line, so therefore could you please run a speed test via 'www.exetel.com.au/speed' and check whether there is an improvement.

Your ticket reference number is #4776749.
To Log a fault ticket, please click click here or alternatively call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)

=================
Exetel Support Portal
=================

ttac
Posts: 24
Joined: Sun Sep 18, 2005 12:30 am
Location: Sydney

Re: Slow ADSL2+

Post by ttac » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:01 pm

I did an isolation test and also tried another modem. Right now I have nothing at all. The modem won't even sync (using 3G right now on an iPad).

stevecJ
Forum Admin
Posts: 1041
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:48 am

Re: Slow ADSL2+

Post by stevecJ » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:38 pm

ttac wrote:I did an isolation test and also tried another modem. Right now I have nothing at all. The modem won't even sync (using 3G right now on an iPad).
Hi ttac,

Could you please recheck the connection as I could see your modem connected at the moment and there is an improvement in the speed as well.

Please monitor this for the next 24 hours.
To Log a fault ticket, please click click here or alternatively call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)

=================
Exetel Support Portal
=================

ttac
Posts: 24
Joined: Sun Sep 18, 2005 12:30 am
Location: Sydney

Re: Slow ADSL2+

Post by ttac » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:38 pm

It's better now. Got cut off while speaking to the Exetel operator but it appears to be ok now. Thanks

stevecJ
Forum Admin
Posts: 1041
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:48 am

Re: Slow ADSL2+

Post by stevecJ » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:45 pm

ttac wrote:It's better now. Got cut off while speaking to the Exetel operator but it appears to be ok now. Thanks
No worries. Please monitor the connection further and let us know if the dropouts persist :)
To Log a fault ticket, please click click here or alternatively call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)

=================
Exetel Support Portal
=================

ttac
Posts: 24
Joined: Sun Sep 18, 2005 12:30 am
Location: Sydney

Re: Slow ADSL2+

Post by ttac » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:49 pm

Speed from Exetel speed test is now 5150 kbps.
Modem stats now are:

d/s u/s
Data rate(Kbps) 6144 775
Noise Margin 6 14
Output power(dBm) 39 22
Attenuation(dB) 124 203

ttac
Posts: 24
Joined: Sun Sep 18, 2005 12:30 am
Location: Sydney

Re: Slow ADSL2+

Post by ttac » Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:52 pm

Down to 493.90kbps from Exetel speed test now. Everything has slowed down again.
Getting a bit frustrating.

ttac
Posts: 24
Joined: Sun Sep 18, 2005 12:30 am
Location: Sydney

Re: Slow ADSL2+

Post by ttac » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:04 pm

Virtually unuseable now

Downstream Upstream
Data rate(Kbps) 128 438
Noise Margin 7 11
Output power(dBm) 42 27
Attenuation(dB) 124 145

stevecJ
Forum Admin
Posts: 1041
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:48 am

Re: Slow ADSL2+

Post by stevecJ » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:36 pm

ttac wrote:Virtually unuseable now

Downstream Upstream
Data rate(Kbps) 128 438
Noise Margin 7 11
Output power(dBm) 42 27
Attenuation(dB) 124 145
Hi,

I cannot see your modem connected at the moment. However another rebuild has been done to the connection so therefore could you please restart the modem and check the speed.

Also I have already arranged one of our support engineers to contact you tomorrow in order to discuss this further.
To Log a fault ticket, please click click here or alternatively call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)

=================
Exetel Support Portal
=================

ttac
Posts: 24
Joined: Sun Sep 18, 2005 12:30 am
Location: Sydney

Re: Slow ADSL2+

Post by ttac » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:52 pm

Thanks for your help. It's syncing again but still very slow. I can't even run the Exetel speed test. Modem stats now are:

Downstream Upstream
Data rate(Kbps) 146 586
Noise Margin 18 17
Output power(dBm) 40 23
Attenuation(dB) 124 156

Is there any indication of what is wrong? Everything was fine up until last night. I've done an isolation test (unplugged everything except the modem), have switched to a brand new modem too.
Is it possible to do what was done last night but have it permanent? It appears to resort back to poor performance again the next day.

Cheers

rukshani
Exetel Staff
Posts: 275
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: Slow ADSL2+

Post by rukshani » Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:55 pm

ttac wrote:Thanks for your help. It's syncing again but still very slow. I can't even run the Exetel speed test. Modem stats now are:

Downstream Upstream
Data rate(Kbps) 146 586
Noise Margin 18 17
Output power(dBm) 40 23
Attenuation(dB) 124 156

Is there any indication of what is wrong? Everything was fine up until last night. I've done an isolation test (unplugged everything except the modem), have switched to a brand new modem too.
Is it possible to do what was done last night but have it permanent? It appears to resort back to poor performance again the next day.

Cheers
A support supervisor will look in to this.

stevecJ
Forum Admin
Posts: 1041
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:48 am

Re: Slow ADSL2+

Post by stevecJ » Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:41 pm

ttac wrote:Thanks for your help. It's syncing again but still very slow. I can't even run the Exetel speed test. Modem stats now are:

Downstream Upstream
Data rate(Kbps) 146 586
Noise Margin 18 17
Output power(dBm) 40 23
Attenuation(dB) 124 156

Is there any indication of what is wrong? Everything was fine up until last night. I've done an isolation test (unplugged everything except the modem), have switched to a brand new modem too.
Is it possible to do what was done last night but have it permanent? It appears to resort back to poor performance again the next day.

Cheers
Hi,

As per the telephone conversation you had with one of our support engineers on Saturday, Please monitor the service further and let us know if the issue persist.
To Log a fault ticket, please click click here or alternatively call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)

=================
Exetel Support Portal
=================

Post Reply