Uploads

Connection issues, drop outs or speed related faults for ADSL and ADSL2+ services
Cryten

Uploads

Post by Cryten » Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:27 am

Gday a simple question for the folks, I've been considering doing some streaming but my current uploadrate is below the minimum needed for 360p at twitch.tv (I would prefer 480p as well *shug*). Is there anyway to boost my upload speeds on my aDSL2+ plan? Wether that would come at the cost of download speed or be configerable as well would be useful information, ie could I turn it off to regain normal downloads.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: Uploads

Post by Dazzled » Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:46 am

ADSL is asynchronous, ie the upload rate is less than the download. It is also capped at the exchange. Most of us will have the capped speed, but some highly attenuated lines will have a bit less. There's nothing you can do to change the ADSL2 cap.

PS The above is about the maximum rate. If you download, the simultaneous upload rate will fall below the maximum. Some routers can delay some traffic for the benefit of other traffic (QoS), though a router only knows about IP addresses and port numbers, not computer applications.

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:18 am

what speed do they specify and what speeds are you getting?

ShaminG
Exetel Staff

Post by ShaminG » Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:28 pm

Gday a simple question for the folks, I've been considering doing some streaming but my current uploadrate is below the minimum needed for 360p at twitch.tv (I would prefer 480p as well *shug*). Is there anyway to boost my upload speeds on my aDSL2+ plan? Wether that would come at the cost of download speed or be configerable as well would be useful information, ie could I turn it off to regain normal downloads.
As per your connection settings I believe currently you are attaining an upload sync rate of 812 kbps.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:45 pm

Thanks Shamin. 812 kbps = Optus cap.

zaxapod

Post by zaxapod » Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:42 pm

I'm on an Exetel AAPT service, and my uploads never go faster than 665 kbps. Its always the same, no matter what modem I use, different filters, no filter its always 665 kbps. I guess that means the upload is capped, although I would have thought it would have been a bit higher than it is.

The telstra line doesn't seem to be a problem, the connection is stable, and in the past used to get uploads just over 1000kbps on other providers.

I suppose thats just how it is, but is there anything worth trying to get the upload up a bit?

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:41 pm

I might be out of date, but I have a vague memory that the AAPT upstream cap is 1024 kbps. Optus is 812 kbps.

What are the modem line stats? Your only approach may be to fiddle the SNR, if the modem lets you, at some risk to stability.

localhost

Post by localhost » Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:29 pm

Dazzled wrote:What are the modem line stats? Your only approach may be to fiddle the SNR, if the modem lets you, at some risk to stability.
You can actually adjust the upstream SNR? I thought that you could only adjust downstream SNR.

peteru

Post by peteru » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:58 pm

You can't "change" SNR or attenuation (basically the values measured in dB), short of physically replacing the wires. Both of these are the characteristics of the line and the devices connected to it. You can fiddle with parameters such as coding gain, which will basically trade error correction bits for data bits, thus you gain more throughput at the risk of higher error rate. When the error rate gets too high and can't be corrected, you will get drop outs.

AAPT upstream seems to be capped at 1022200 bps and in my experience, I can sustain that upload speed most of the time and get uploads at just over 100kB/s.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:42 pm

Thanks for the upstream rates.

Attenuation is a property of the conductors. SNR though is a pretty loose term in modem-speak; it is actually a margin. The maths and theory of coding gain and the other parameters are well described in eg ADSL, VDSL, and Multicarrier Modulation, Bingham, 2000. He gives a few examples of varying parameters (using .m Matlab) if you want to play with it. I've got some old source code for doing it in software lying around somewhere. It all boils down though to the more you screw down the margin, the sooner you drop out.

The whole transmission is so complex it's a miracle it works at all.