ADSL+2 Slow Speeds.

Connection issues, drop outs or speed related faults for ADSL and ADSL2+ services
Lacertia
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:25 pm
Location: bendigo

ADSL+2 Slow Speeds.

Post by Lacertia » Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:13 pm

Recently I have noticed my speed being slower then usual, I did a few tests such as Exetel Speed test and Speedtest/Ozspeed test.

OzSpeed test
[(Mirror: [*Exetel*]
Data: [*9 MB*]
Test Time: [*23.92 secs*])]

[(Your line speed is [*3.16 Mbps*] (3160 kbps).
Your download speed is [*395 KB/s*] (0.39 MB/s). )]

Exetel Speed test
Your current bandwidth reading is:
2.83 Mbps
which means you can download at 362.2 KB/sec.

Speed test.net

10.73Mbps.

I'm inclined to believe the first 2 since I get that or lower, such as steam... going at 90Kbps to 150Kbps etc.

Just curious what going on really. Do know I can at least get 1Mbps or higher on steam and 1.3Mbps on a download manager.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin
Posts: 6021
Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:16 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: ADSL+2 Slow Speeds.

Post by Dazzled » Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:35 pm

What is your modem line status?

The best speed test is to download 3 files simultaneously from an Akamai server, eg Apple and Microsoft downloads, and tot up the combined rate, or else use a multi-connection download manager pointed at the same sources. These servers are the nearest very fast servers to you, and three connections should flood your line. Some very popular Linux distro torrents, eg Ubuntu with >100 peers, can flood it also. If these methods cannot approach the modem line rate (allowing for packet overheads), try pinging an Exetel server a few times (eg 220.233.0.4) in case there is local congestion.

Lacertia
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:25 pm
Location: bendigo

Re: ADSL+2 Slow Speeds.

Post by Lacertia » Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:43 pm

Did that, I get 1.4Mbps on Microsoft, and pinging that IP .

Modem Line status? Don't know how to find that.

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Pinging 220.233.0.4 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 220.233.0.4: bytes=32 time=36ms TTL=59
Reply from 220.233.0.4: bytes=32 time=36ms TTL=59
Reply from 220.233.0.4: bytes=32 time=36ms TTL=59
Reply from 220.233.0.4: bytes=32 time=36ms TTL=59

Maybe it is ok, But for the past few weeks steam downloads have been incredibly bad, right now it's at 130Kbps.

rukshani
Exetel Staff
Posts: 275
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: ADSL+2 Slow Speeds.

Post by rukshani » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:15 pm

Lacertia wrote:Did that, I get 1.4Mbps on Microsoft, and pinging that IP .

Modem Line status? Don't know how to find that.

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Pinging 220.233.0.4 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 220.233.0.4: bytes=32 time=36ms TTL=59
Reply from 220.233.0.4: bytes=32 time=36ms TTL=59
Reply from 220.233.0.4: bytes=32 time=36ms TTL=59
Reply from 220.233.0.4: bytes=32 time=36ms TTL=59

Maybe it is ok, But for the past few weeks steam downloads have been incredibly bad, right now it's at 130Kbps.
A support engineer has looked in to this, he will post up an update soon.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin
Posts: 6021
Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:16 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: ADSL+2 Slow Speeds.

Post by Dazzled » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:22 pm

While we wait for the report, the ping is normal. There's something odd about the Microsoft download though - 3 at once, combined speed, should be quicker than Oz Speed Test, and should be expressed in MB/s - Windows cannot tell kbps at the modem. Speedtest.net from a local server isn't usually miles off true.

If you post your modem model, someone can tell you how to get the line status. It is usually under a Status tab, and may be called ADSL, DSL, Line or similar.

Lacertia
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:25 pm
Location: bendigo

Re: ADSL+2 Slow Speeds.

Post by Lacertia » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:39 pm

Haha, I did realize about it earlier it is supposed to be MB/s.

Tried 3 at once again, Downloaded the Kinect SDK and it adds up to 1.4Mb/s... 500Kb/s x2 and 400Kb/s Ish.

Router I use is Netgear DGN 2200


Think I found what your looking for, it was hidden well

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 13312 kbps 1022 kbps
Line Attenuation 33.0 db 16.1 db
Noise Margin 6.2 db 7.1 db

yes/no? haha

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin
Posts: 6021
Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:16 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: ADSL+2 Slow Speeds.

Post by Dazzled » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:51 pm

That's the line status, and it looks OK. It also looks like a Telstra Wholesale connection, so let's see what the support staff can discover for you.

Lacertia
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:25 pm
Location: bendigo

Re: ADSL+2 Slow Speeds.

Post by Lacertia » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:44 pm

yeah ok sounds like a plan.

shoner
Exetel Staff
Posts: 756
Joined: Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:50 pm

Re: ADSL+2 Slow Speeds.

Post by shoner » Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:54 pm

Lacertia wrote:Haha, I did realize about it earlier it is supposed to be MB/s.

Tried 3 at once again, Downloaded the Kinect SDK and it adds up to 1.4Mb/s... 500Kb/s x2 and 400Kb/s Ish.

Router I use is Netgear DGN 2200


Think I found what your looking for, it was hidden well

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 13312 kbps 1022 kbps
Line Attenuation 33.0 db 16.1 db
Noise Margin 6.2 db 7.1 db

yes/no? haha
Our speed test server shows that you receive speeds close to 3Mbps

February 8th, 2012 8:07pm 2897.6 kbps
February 8th, 2012 8:04pm 2544.9 kbps
February 8th, 2012 8:03pm 2695 kbps
February 8th, 2012 7:43pm 3126.9 kbps
February 8th, 2012 7:42pm 2943.3 kbps
February 8th, 2012 7:42pm 2826.7 kbps

Do you receive these same speeds during the day time?
If so then we will have to troubleshoot further.

Let us know your results during the day time.
"Helping Making a Better World"

Log a fault ticket Here
or call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)
Exetel Support Portal

rooscoota
Posts: 54
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:48 am
Location: Central West

Re: ADSL+2 Slow Speeds.

Post by rooscoota » Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:43 am

hi there

firstly to the exetel fraternity and family condolences on the passing of a larger than life character that for what ever reasons will be missed.

now, down to business, speeds of late have been rather dismal. in 8 yrs of service i havent seen speeds like this before and if i had it was a matter of come back later and all was good, no dramas.

unfortunately this time the slow speed problem has not improved over the last few days and have had to resort to posting here to maybe get some idea of a problem before lodging a ticket.

speeds today are woeful, as indicated by speed tests, yesterday and the day before was the same with some improvement late in the evening.

typically normal line speeds is around 15mbps and d/l speed typically 1.5 mbps - 2mbps

no changes to any hardware, firmware, setup, phones, filters, no foxtel, no back to base alarms, etc etc.

cheers

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[`[*Test Results from <a href="http://www.ozspeedtest.com/bandwidth-te ... 663004">Oz Broadband Speed Test</a>*]`]
[(----------------------------------
Test run on [*12/02/2012*] @ [*10:53 AM*])]

[(Mirror: [*Exetel*]
Data: [*9 MB*]
Test Time: [*182.86 secs*])]

[(Your line speed is [*413 kbps*] (0.41 Mbps).
Your download speed is [*52 KB/s*] (0.05 MB/s). )]


-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


[`[*Test Results from <a href="http://www.ozspeedtest.com/bandwidth-te ... 663071">Oz Broadband Speed Test</a>*]`]
[(----------------------------------
Test run on [*12/02/2012*] @ [*10:59 AM*])]

[(Mirror: [*Exetel*]
Data: [*3 MB*]
Test Time: [*130.78 secs*])]

[(Your line speed is [*187 kbps*] (0.19 Mbps).
Your download speed is [*23 KB/s*] (0.02 MB/s). )]


---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


[`[*Test Results from <a href="http://www.ozspeedtest.com/bandwidth-te ... 663177">Oz Broadband Speed Test</a>*]`]
[(----------------------------------
Test run on [*12/02/2012*] @ [*11:09 AM*])]

[(Mirror: [*Exetel*]
Data: [*15 MB*]
Test Time: [*469.43 secs*])]

[(Your line speed is [*267 kbps*] (0.27 Mbps).
Your download speed is [*33 KB/s*] (0.03 MB/s). )]
[(Mirror: [*Exetel*]
Data: [*3 MB*]
Test Time: [*87.33 secs*])]

[(Your line speed is [*280 kbps*] (0.28 Mbps).
Your download speed is [*35 KB/s*] (0.03 MB/s). )]
since: 03/03/04

James
Exetel Staff
Posts: 2029
Joined: Mon May 09, 2005 10:27 pm

Re: ADSL+2 Slow Speeds.

Post by James » Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:09 pm

rooscoota wrote:hi there

firstly to the exetel fraternity and family condolences on the passing of a larger than life character that for what ever reasons will be missed.

now, down to business, speeds of late have been rather dismal. in 8 yrs of service i havent seen speeds like this before and if i had it was a matter of come back later and all was good, no dramas.

unfortunately this time the slow speed problem has not improved over the last few days and have had to resort to posting here to maybe get some idea of a problem before lodging a ticket.

speeds today are woeful, as indicated by speed tests, yesterday and the day before was the same with some improvement late in the evening.

typically normal line speeds is around 15mbps and d/l speed typically 1.5 mbps - 2mbps

no changes to any hardware, firmware, setup, phones, filters, no foxtel, no back to base alarms, etc etc.

cheers

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[`[*Test Results from <a href="http://www.ozspeedtest.com/bandwidth-te ... 663004">Oz Broadband Speed Test</a>*]`]
[(----------------------------------
Test run on [*12/02/2012*] @ [*10:53 AM*])]

[(Mirror: [*Exetel*]
Data: [*9 MB*]
Test Time: [*182.86 secs*])]

[(Your line speed is [*413 kbps*] (0.41 Mbps).
Your download speed is [*52 KB/s*] (0.05 MB/s). )]


-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


[`[*Test Results from <a href="http://www.ozspeedtest.com/bandwidth-te ... 663071">Oz Broadband Speed Test</a>*]`]
[(----------------------------------
Test run on [*12/02/2012*] @ [*10:59 AM*])]

[(Mirror: [*Exetel*]
Data: [*3 MB*]
Test Time: [*130.78 secs*])]

[(Your line speed is [*187 kbps*] (0.19 Mbps).
Your download speed is [*23 KB/s*] (0.02 MB/s). )]


---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


[`[*Test Results from <a href="http://www.ozspeedtest.com/bandwidth-te ... 663177">Oz Broadband Speed Test</a>*]`]
[(----------------------------------
Test run on [*12/02/2012*] @ [*11:09 AM*])]

[(Mirror: [*Exetel*]
Data: [*15 MB*]
Test Time: [*469.43 secs*])]

[(Your line speed is [*267 kbps*] (0.27 Mbps).
Your download speed is [*33 KB/s*] (0.03 MB/s). )]
[(Mirror: [*Exetel*]
Data: [*3 MB*]
Test Time: [*87.33 secs*])]

[(Your line speed is [*280 kbps*] (0.28 Mbps).
Your download speed is [*35 KB/s*] (0.03 MB/s). )]
Hi,

What troubleshooting have you done? I was having speed issues last night, rebooted my modem to no avail, then called up support and they reset the port at the exchange for me. Fixed it right up.

Why not try that?

James

rooscoota
Posts: 54
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:48 am
Location: Central West

Re: ADSL+2 Slow Speeds.

Post by rooscoota » Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:43 pm

hi james

i've done the routine troubleshoot scenarion ie: modem, settings were correct, reboot, isolate phones, etc etc, have 3 different OS's, xp, vista, 7 (still talking to each other + voip ata). no changes to the whole network have been made for a few yrs now, no extra phones installed, naddah.

thought i would put it out there (here) before making any phone calls or lodging tickets, but just to be sure to be sure i ran a quick, hmmmm, speedtest before posting.

regards

[`[*Test Results from <a href="http://www.ozspeedtest.com/bandwidth-te ... 666789">Oz Broadband Speed Test</a>*]`]
[(----------------------------------
Test run on [*12/02/2012*] @ [*04:42 PM*])]

[(Mirror: [*Exetel*]
Data: [*15 MB*]
Test Time: [*123.64 secs*])]

[(Your line speed is [*1.01 Mbps*] (1014 kbps).
Your download speed is [*127 KB/s*] (0.12 MB/s). )]
since: 03/03/04

James
Exetel Staff
Posts: 2029
Joined: Mon May 09, 2005 10:27 pm

Re: ADSL+2 Slow Speeds.

Post by James » Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:31 pm

rooscoota wrote:hi james

i've done the routine troubleshoot scenarion ie: modem, settings were correct, reboot, isolate phones, etc etc, have 3 different OS's, xp, vista, 7 (still talking to each other + voip ata). no changes to the whole network have been made for a few yrs now, no extra phones installed, naddah.

thought i would put it out there (here) before making any phone calls or lodging tickets, but just to be sure to be sure i ran a quick, hmmmm, speedtest before posting.

regards

[`[*Test Results from <a href="http://www.ozspeedtest.com/bandwidth-te ... 666789">Oz Broadband Speed Test</a>*]`]
[(----------------------------------
Test run on [*12/02/2012*] @ [*04:42 PM*])]

[(Mirror: [*Exetel*]
Data: [*15 MB*]
Test Time: [*123.64 secs*])]

[(Your line speed is [*1.01 Mbps*] (1014 kbps).
Your download speed is [*127 KB/s*] (0.12 MB/s). )]
Hi,

my home setup has been static for years too, port reset fixed it right up.

Give support a call.

James

rooscoota
Posts: 54
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:48 am
Location: Central West

Re: ADSL+2 Slow Speeds.

Post by rooscoota » Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:08 pm

James wrote:
Give support a call.

James
gday again

no worries, will give them a ring tomorrow, its not the end of the world here :wink:

appreciate the swift responses

kind regards
since: 03/03/04

rooscoota
Posts: 54
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:48 am
Location: Central West

Re: ADSL+2 Slow Speeds.

Post by rooscoota » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:59 am

rooscoota wrote:typically normal line speeds is around 15 - 18mbps and d/l speed typically 1.5 mbps - 2mbps
ran a few speed tests this morning before i annoy support but unfortuneatly no improvement, thought i might post some results (this morning) for staff to view if need be.

cheers


[`[*Test Results from <a href="http://www.ozspeedtest.com/bandwidth-te ... 673926">Oz Broadband Speed Test</a>*]`]
[(----------------------------------
Test run on [*13/02/2012*] @ [*10:09 AM*])]

[(Mirror: [*Exetel*]
Data: [*15 MB*]
Test Time: [*141.5 secs*])]

[(Your line speed is [*886 kbps*] (0.89 Mbps).
Your download speed is [*111 KB/s*] (0.11 MB/s). )]


___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________


[`[*Test Results from <a href="http://www.ozspeedtest.com/bandwidth-te ... 674139">Oz Broadband Speed Test</a>*]`]
[(----------------------------------
Test run on [*13/02/2012*] @ [*10:28 AM*])]

[(Mirror: [*Exetel*]
Data: [*15 MB*]
Test Time: [*1100.73 secs*])]

[(Your line speed is [*114 kbps*] (0.11 Mbps).
Your download speed is [*14 KB/s*] (0.01 MB/s). )]


___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________


[`[*Test Results from <a href="http://www.ozspeedtest.com/bandwidth-te ... 674229">Oz Broadband Speed Test</a>*]`]
[(----------------------------------
Test run on [*13/02/2012*] @ [*10:38 AM*])]

[(Mirror: [*Exetel*]
Data: [*15 MB*]
Test Time: [*173.28 secs*])]

[(Your line speed is [*723 kbps*] (0.72 Mbps).
Your download speed is [*90 KB/s*] (0.09 MB/s). )]


___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________


[`[*Test Results from <a href="http://www.ozspeedtest.com/bandwidth-te ... 674268">Oz Broadband Speed Test</a>*]`]
[(----------------------------------
Test run on [*13/02/2012*] @ [*10:42 AM*])]

[(Mirror: [*Exetel*]
Data: [*15 MB*]
Test Time: [*154.39 secs*])]

[(Your line speed is [*812 kbps*] (0.81 Mbps).
Your download speed is [*101 KB/s*] (0.1 MB/s). )]


___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________


[`[*Test Results from <a href="http://www.ozspeedtest.com/bandwidth-te ... 674315">Oz Broadband Speed Test</a>*]`]
[(----------------------------------
Test run on [*13/02/2012*] @ [*10:45 AM*])]

[(Mirror: [*Exetel*]
Data: [*15 MB*]
Test Time: [*167.23 secs*])]

[(Your line speed is [*749 kbps*] (0.75 Mbps).
Your download speed is [*94 KB/s*] (0.09 MB/s). )]


___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________


[`[*Test Results from <a href="http://www.ozspeedtest.com/bandwidth-te ... 674355">Oz Broadband Speed Test</a>*]`]
[(----------------------------------
Test run on [*13/02/2012*] @ [*10:49 AM*])]

[(Mirror: [*Exetel*]
Data: [*15 MB*]
Test Time: [*151.28 secs*])]

[(Your line speed is [*828 kbps*] (0.83 Mbps).
Your download speed is [*104 KB/s*] (0.1 MB/s). )]


EDIT: update.

had a quick chat with support, very pleasant exp i might add, they had a bit of a look around and noticed noise on the line, no biggy phone calls are good, but they did the port reset as you suggested james and i thought i would share the results.

much better and back to normal speeds again. hats off to the serv rep, didnt catch his name, and again well done.


___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________


[`[*Test Results from <a href="http://www.ozspeedtest.com/bandwidth-te ... 674967">Oz Broadband Speed Test</a>*]`]
[(----------------------------------
Test run on [*13/02/2012*] @ [*11:45 AM*])]

[(Mirror: [*Exetel*]
Data: [*15 MB*]
Test Time: [*7.99 secs*])]

[(Your line speed is [*15.69 Mbps*] (15690 kbps).
Your download speed is [*1.92 MB/s*] (1961 KB/s). )]


___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________


[`[*Test Results from <a href="http://www.ozspeedtest.com/bandwidth-te ... 675094">Oz Broadband Speed Test</a>*]`]
[(----------------------------------
Test run on [*13/02/2012*] @ [*11:53 AM*])]

[(Mirror: [*Exetel*]
Data: [*15 MB*]
Test Time: [*7.99 secs*])]

[(Your line speed is [*15.69 Mbps*] (15692 kbps).
Your download speed is [*1.92 MB/s*] (1961 KB/s). )]


___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________


[`[*Test Results from <a href="http://www.ozspeedtest.com/bandwidth-te ... 675118">Oz Broadband Speed Test</a>*]`]
[(----------------------------------
Test run on [*13/02/2012*] @ [*11:54 AM*])]

[(Mirror: [*Exetel*]
Data: [*15 MB*]
Test Time: [*7.99 secs*])]

[(Your line speed is [*15.69 Mbps*] (15692 kbps).
Your download speed is [*1.92 MB/s*] (1961 KB/s). )]


___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________


[`[*Test Results from <a href="http://www.ozspeedtest.com/bandwidth-te ... 675131">Oz Broadband Speed Test</a>*]`]
[(----------------------------------
Test run on [*13/02/2012*] @ [*11:55 AM*])]

[(Mirror: [*Exetel*]
Data: [*15 MB*]
Test Time: [*7.99 secs*])]

[(Your line speed is [*15.69 Mbps*] (15692 kbps).
Your download speed is [*1.92 MB/s*] (1961 KB/s). )]


___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________


[`[*Test Results from <a href="http://www.ozspeedtest.com/bandwidth-te ... 675148">Oz Broadband Speed Test</a>*]`]
[(----------------------------------
Test run on [*13/02/2012*] @ [*11:56 AM*])]

[(Mirror: [*Exetel*]
Data: [*15 MB*]
Test Time: [*7.96 secs*])]

[(Your line speed is [*15.75 Mbps*] (15753 kbps).
Your download speed is [*1.92 MB/s*] (1969 KB/s). )]
since: 03/03/04

Post Reply