EXETEL How do we get our p2p speed back?

Connection issues, drop outs or speed related faults for ADSL and ADSL2+ services
bronk

EXETEL How do we get our p2p speed back?

Post by bronk » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:33 pm

My p2p download speeds have gone from 1 mB/s to >100 kB/s, if its a torrent with low seeders it barely downloads at all 1-2 kB/s
shoner wrote:The reason as to why some feel that their p2p traffic is slower than usual is because we no longer cache P2P. This means that you are now directly downloading them from the source or google cache.
There is no shaping done on the Exetel network.
This is not just a "feeling", and its not just "slower than usual" it is unusable.

I've read other posts and i still dont really understand the whole cache thing, however my question is can I fix it?

I'm also not really happy with how Exetel have handled this, you offer big download limits, you must know alot of that is going to be used for p2p, so why wait for people to complain via the forums before attempting explainations.
If this is AAPT's fault then blame them and apologise to us, if its your fault then tell us. If you can fix it or tell me how to please do so.

If I cant get my p2p speeds back to what they were, I will probably be looking elsewhere, which is a shame because I have been with you guys for a long time and always recommended to friends and family members.

James
Exetel Staff

Re: EXETEL How do we get our p2p speed back?

Post by James » Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:51 am

bronk wrote:My p2p download speeds have gone from 1 mB/s to >100 kB/s, if its a torrent with low seeders it barely downloads at all 1-2 kB/s
shoner wrote:The reason as to why some feel that their p2p traffic is slower than usual is because we no longer cache P2P. This means that you are now directly downloading them from the source or google cache.
There is no shaping done on the Exetel network.
This is not just a "feeling", and its not just "slower than usual" it is unusable.

I've read other posts and i still dont really understand the whole cache thing, however my question is can I fix it?

I'm also not really happy with how Exetel have handled this, you offer big download limits, you must know alot of that is going to be used for p2p, so why wait for people to complain via the forums before attempting explainations.
If this is AAPT's fault then blame them and apologise to us, if its your fault then tell us. If you can fix it or tell me how to please do so.

If I cant get my p2p speeds back to what they were, I will probably be looking elsewhere, which is a shame because I have been with you guys for a long time and always recommended to friends and family members.
p2p speeds with Exetel should be the same as other providers, i was downloading a torrent last night at around 1MB/s.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:18 pm

It really does depend on what you are trying to receive. You cannot speed along if only a few snails-pace uploaders are sharing with you, or if they have their traffic limited by a foreign server. The cache would have disguised some of this.

Most torrent software websites suggest you test your configuration with a major Linux CD iso, eg the latest Ubuntu. Some suggest a major application like Open Office. In the other thread I posted several satisfactory results targetting this kind of material.

At the other extreme from your recent experiences, for an admittedly abnormal, but very quick torrent, try http://download.documentfoundation.org/ ... gz.torrent, where you will likely find some local mirrors connecting.

bronk

Post by bronk » Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:21 pm

Just an FYI, yes I completely understand the seeders and leachers concept of p2p.

I was able to download the the torrent you suggested at about 850kB/s, yet I was unable to connect to any peers at all (0kB/s) for the other torrent you suggested in the other post. Another torrent I am trying to download there are;
seeders: 3179
leechers: 287

my d/l speed = 57.2 kB/s

I have even downloaded Deluge and set it up as suggested.

Sometimes not connecting at all, sometimes connecting but downloading at 1990's speed, is not good service.
http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-r ... ?t=1892372

I am not the only one this is happening too, is there someone looking into these problems?

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:38 pm

The Libre Office torrent is a corker, isn't it? There are Australian mirror sites connecting at a fair whack.

I appreciate that a group of Whirlpool posters has a problem, but I just cannot duplicate it with any of the usual well-supported torrents, and I'm going via AAPT just as they are. Perhaps the problem is restricted to stuff with a copyright aspect, I don't know.

Deluge is a superb torrent client, and I'm getting 800+ KB/s on the LinuxMint torrent using Deluge at this moment.