Slow ADSL - 250KB/s downloads in Perth

Connection issues, drop outs or speed related faults for ADSL and ADSL2+ services
Prizm
Posts: 27
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:03 am

Slow ADSL - 250KB/s downloads in Perth

Post by Prizm » Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:01 pm

I have conducted 4 speed tests this evening using the Exetel speed test, with an average result of 250KB/s. This was the result of the last test:

Image

I had this same problem last month right around the time of the next billing cycle.

Anyone know what is happening? I have cycled my modem with no change in results.

thanks

G-Box
Posts: 47
Joined: Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:38 pm

Re: Slow ADSL - 250KB/s downloads in Perth

Post by G-Box » Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:59 am

Same issue here in Victoria.
Checked the 'usage graphs' 2 odd hours ago and the blue upoload indicator on the optus link was being hammered/maxed out.
Now for some unusual reason when I go to view the 'bandwidth available in your state it results in: Firefox can't find the file at http://public.mrtg.exetel.com.au/bwsumm ... mmary.html.


Going to guess, it's the new billing cycle, people now have their allowance back and are maxing out downloads resulting in a lack of available bandwidth at times.
Edit: Seems backs to normal now. Usaage graphs are not accessible still, not sure if that's just on this end. Hope your speed has resolved.

James
Exetel Staff
Posts: 1989
Joined: Mon May 09, 2005 10:27 pm

Re: Slow ADSL - 250KB/s downloads in Perth

Post by James » Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:59 am

Prizm wrote:I have conducted 4 speed tests this evening using the Exetel speed test, with an average result of 250KB/s. This was the result of the last test:

Image

I had this same problem last month right around the time of the next billing cycle.

Anyone know what is happening? I have cycled my modem with no change in results.

thanks
There are no issues with our links in Perth, i would suggest giving support a call.

James
Exetel Staff
Posts: 1989
Joined: Mon May 09, 2005 10:27 pm

Re: Slow ADSL - 250KB/s downloads in Perth

Post by James » Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:01 am

G-Box wrote:Same issue here in Victoria.
Checked the 'usage graphs' 2 odd hours ago and the blue upoload indicator on the optus link was being hammered/maxed out.
Now for some unusual reason when I go to view the 'bandwidth available in your state it results in: Firefox can't find the file at http://public.mrtg.exetel.com.au/bwsumm ... mmary.html.


Going to guess, it's the new billing cycle, people now have their allowance back and are maxing out downloads resulting in a lack of available bandwidth at times.
Edit: Seems backs to normal now. Usaage graphs are not accessible still, not sure if that's just on this end. Hope your speed has resolved.
There is no lack of bandwidth at any time.

Benedryn
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:01 pm
Location: Perth

Re: Slow ADSL - 250KB/s downloads in Perth

Post by Benedryn » Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:29 pm

I've never been able to get more than a 1500 kbps connection on any of those speed tests (8000/384 ADSL1 plan), figured that was normal. Have to queue multiple downloads to get max speed.
Test01.gif
Test01.gif (15.41 KiB) Viewed 2406 times

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin
Posts: 6003
Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:16 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Slow ADSL - 250KB/s downloads in Perth

Post by Dazzled » Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:51 pm

Benedryn, are you using a browser other than FF? This test is as much about how browsers handle javascript as about line speed. It's better to let the OS do the timing. Get hold of an efficient download manager (on Windows, http://www.freedownloadmanager.org/ is well, free. In Linux there is an embarrassment of freebies). Point it at one of the Akamai co-located sites (eg Microsoft) for more than 3MB and let 'er rip. Compare a single connection download with a 4 connection one.

Most services need 3 concurrent download/connections to maximise the rate.

Benedryn
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:01 pm
Location: Perth

Re: Slow ADSL - 250KB/s downloads in Perth

Post by Benedryn » Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:57 pm

FF user. Did some more testing, Chrome's a bit faster surprisingly. Download managers get what FF gets. Still doesn't explain why I can't get an 8000 kbps rating though. Line syncs @ 7360/384 so it should be able to (SNR Margin 3/6, Line Attenuation 44/29). Just to clarify: what I meant by "queue multiple downloads to get max speed" is that on the speed test I'd download @ 200KB/s, but I can max out the connection @ 600/800 KB/s if I have multiple simultaneous downloads going.
0002.GIF
0002.GIF (34.33 KiB) Viewed 2392 times
0001.GIF
0001.GIF (42.63 KiB) Viewed 2392 times

stevecJ
Forum Admin
Posts: 1041
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:48 am

Re: Slow ADSL - 250KB/s downloads in Perth

Post by stevecJ » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:00 am

Benedryn wrote:FF user. Did some more testing, Chrome's a bit faster surprisingly. Download managers get what FF gets. Still doesn't explain why I can't get an 8000 kbps rating though. Line syncs @ 7360/384 so it should be able to (SNR Margin 3/6, Line Attenuation 44/29). Just to clarify: what I meant by "queue multiple downloads to get max speed" is that on the speed test I'd download @ 200KB/s, but I can max out the connection @ 600/800 KB/s if I have multiple simultaneous downloads going.
Hi,

I have done a line test on your connection and it doesn't show any issues with the line. However the number of uploads appears to be too high which will cause the slow downloads.

In order to investigate this further could you please close all the download applications (Make sure that the downloads/uploads are stopped) and conduct another speed test via http://www.exetel.com.au/speed.
To Log a fault ticket, please click click here or alternatively call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)

=================
Exetel Support Portal
=================

Benedryn
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:01 pm
Location: Perth

Re: Slow ADSL - 250KB/s downloads in Perth

Post by Benedryn » Tue May 01, 2012 12:15 am

I tested it when uploads were zero. I've had to have BT up almost 24/7 now due to the slow download speed (I can barely manage 10 peer connections on a 36,000:27,000 seed:peer torrent). Tested again several times just now with everything off and the result is the same.

Prizm
Posts: 27
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:03 am

Re: Slow ADSL - 250KB/s downloads in Perth

Post by Prizm » Tue May 01, 2012 9:15 am

My downloads were still maxing out last night at 250KB/s. When I look at a download graph, I can see an almost straight horizontal line sitting at around 200KB/s. No wavering. I've opened up a ticket now to investigate this further.

Benedryn
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:01 pm
Location: Perth

Re: Slow ADSL - 250KB/s downloads in Perth

Post by Benedryn » Tue May 01, 2012 6:58 pm

So my HTTP downloads max out at a flat 760 KB/s (multiple simultaneous downloads from the Exetel Firefox mirror), though speed tests always seem to max out at ~1500 kbps. And Chrome is pretty fast for some reason. But BT speed is terrible. Argh.

stevecJ
Forum Admin
Posts: 1041
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:48 am

Re: Slow ADSL - 250KB/s downloads in Perth

Post by stevecJ » Wed May 02, 2012 12:02 am

Benedryn wrote:So my HTTP downloads max out at a flat 760 KB/s (multiple simultaneous downloads from the Exetel Firefox mirror), though speed tests always seem to max out at ~1500 kbps. And Chrome is pretty fast for some reason. But BT speed is terrible. Argh.
Hi,

In order to investigate this further could you please send an email with a netstat result.

To get this, (windows XP) Click on Start >> Run >> Type CMD. Once the window is opened type netstat -a and press enter.

Copy and past the results to the email body and send it to 'residentialsupport@exetel.com.au'
To Log a fault ticket, please click click here or alternatively call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)

=================
Exetel Support Portal
=================

Benedryn
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:01 pm
Location: Perth

Re: Slow ADSL - 250KB/s downloads in Perth

Post by Benedryn » Mon May 07, 2012 6:33 pm

Okay, so netstat was clear.

Anyways, did some more testing: my HTTP downloads maxes out @ 800 KB/s flat with 7 simultaneous downloads @ ~115 KB/s each using the Exetel Firefox mirror. I can hit the cap with 1-2 less downloads but that results in more dipping (ie: not as flat a rate on the speed graph). Regular websites I've found usually have a cap of ~50 KB/s per connection though so this is mostly theoretical.

The problem I had with torrents being unable to manage 10+ connections ended up being the result of port forwarding being disabled after I had finished experimenting with the Windows-ported Linux BT clients. So now speeds are back to terrible but not atrocious (~100-300 KB/s currently, depending on number of active torrents).

Global upload rate in uTorrent is set to 20 KB/s atm (includes transport overhead + uTP connections, ie: no exceptions). ADSL1 up/down: 8192/384 (kbps) /8 = 1024/48 (KB/s), actual max down = 800 (KB/s), so max up should be = 37.5 (KB/s). Left enough leeway on upload (@ 30 KB/s download takes an instant nosedive), and I'm currently getting ~13-35% BT efficiency. Used to be 75% (~600 KB/s), 800 KB/s was rare.

Max peers per torrent / upload slots per torrent : 25/1 (this setting worked fine for years before this all started, experimenting with these values has not resulted in any drastic improvement).

Current ADSL Status (from modem log): Data Rate 7392/384 kbps, SNR Margin 6/6 dB, Line Attenuation 44/29 dB.

stevecJ
Forum Admin
Posts: 1041
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:48 am

Re: Slow ADSL - 250KB/s downloads in Perth

Post by stevecJ » Mon May 07, 2012 9:44 pm

Benedryn wrote:Okay, so netstat was clear.

Anyways, did some more testing: my HTTP downloads maxes out @ 800 KB/s flat with 7 simultaneous downloads @ ~115 KB/s each using the Exetel Firefox mirror. I can hit the cap with 1-2 less downloads but that results in more dipping (ie: not as flat a rate on the speed graph). Regular websites I've found usually have a cap of ~50 KB/s per connection though so this is mostly theoretical.

The problem I had with torrents being unable to manage 10+ connections ended up being the result of port forwarding being disabled after I had finished experimenting with the Windows-ported Linux BT clients. So now speeds are back to terrible but not atrocious (~100-300 KB/s currently, depending on number of active torrents).

Global upload rate in uTorrent is set to 20 KB/s atm (includes transport overhead + uTP connections, ie: no exceptions). ADSL1 up/down: 8192/384 (kbps) /8 = 1024/48 (KB/s), actual max down = 800 (KB/s), so max up should be = 37.5 (KB/s). Left enough leeway on upload (@ 30 KB/s download takes an instant nosedive), and I'm currently getting ~13-35% BT efficiency. Used to be 75% (~600 KB/s), 800 KB/s was rare.

Max peers per torrent / upload slots per torrent : 25/1 (this setting worked fine for years before this all started, experimenting with these values has not resulted in any drastic improvement).

Current ADSL Status (from modem log): Data Rate 7392/384 kbps, SNR Margin 6/6 dB, Line Attenuation 44/29 dB.
Hi,

One of our supplier engineers has already replied to your email. :)
To Log a fault ticket, please click click here or alternatively call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)

=================
Exetel Support Portal
=================

Prizm
Posts: 27
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:03 am

Re: Slow ADSL - 250KB/s downloads in Perth

Post by Prizm » Wed May 09, 2012 10:22 pm

ok, so I am still having speed problems, and it is not my end. I have plugged an ethernet cable directly to the modem and used two different PCs with no change. I have also tried another modem and got the same poor result.

I was about to have Exetel send a technician out to test the lines, but the problem is that sometimes in the morning (like 7:00am ish), I can get 900KB/s to 1MB/s. But then during the rest of the day and night, it varies between 170KB/s and 600KB/s, but usually settling around 300KB/s. Sometimes it might spike higher for a very short time.

So it seems to be congestion to me. What will a technician do about that? I don't trust a technician to come out and do a fair analysis. I get the impression they'll tell me the speed is acceptable and then I'll be slapped with a $200 call-out fee, and stuck with 300KB/s.

Post Reply