Unstable Line Speed For The Past 2 Weekends - Wagga Wagga

Connection issues, drop outs or speed related faults for ADSL and ADSL2+ services
EdeiZ

Unstable Line Speed For The Past 2 Weekends - Wagga Wagga

Post by EdeiZ » Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:15 pm

For the past 2 weeks, I seem to be having horrible download speeds that has been interfering with internet use. Upload speeds seem to be fine and working as it should be, but when downloading programs, streaming music or generally playing online games, the internet has become almost useless.

I did start a ticket previously and despite following the instructions from line isolation to changing the MTU, the line still remains unstable. The problem is I can't pinpoint the issue because one moment the line would be normal which for me is downloading at 700-800kbps to suddenly maxing out at 60kbps downloads. That ticket was then closed because the issue was deemed resolved, but none of the recommendations that I received from Exetel made any difference. This is my current ADSL status at the moment:

Statistics Downstream Upstream
Line Rate 7111 kbps 812 kbps
Attainable Line Rate 6728 kbps 904 kbps
Noise Margin 11.1 dB 13.2 dB
Line Attenuation 48.6 dB 25.4 dB
Output Power 20.2 dB 12.6 dB

This is my connection speed with one computer connected to the router.

I am not sure, if my location has made any difference. I was on Exetel at my old apartment which I had with no problems being about 1km from the exchange, but this new location that I moved to recently that is further from the same exchange has had a lot of problems with the internet and I wonder if it is because of the distance.

Is there anyone that can help me make sense of it all? I depends on the internet for a lot of things and it's really frustrating to not be able to work through it properly.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: Unstable Line Speed For The Past 2 Weekends - Wagga Wagg

Post by Dazzled » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:19 pm

Your attenuation suggests you are >3 km from the exchange, by road. Is this so? The other thing you could do is ping exetel or the DNS server at good and bad speed times, and note any pronounced difference in travel time or packet loss, which may indicate exchange or backhaul being stressed.

A staff member will be along soon, who can look at your line from the other end.

udara
Exetel Staff

Post by udara » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:58 pm

EdeiZ wrote:For the past 2 weeks, I seem to be having horrible download speeds that has been interfering with internet use. Upload speeds seem to be fine and working as it should be, but when downloading programs, streaming music or generally playing online games, the internet has become almost useless.

I did start a ticket previously and despite following the instructions from line isolation to changing the MTU, the line still remains unstable. The problem is I can't pinpoint the issue because one moment the line would be normal which for me is downloading at 700-800kbps to suddenly maxing out at 60kbps downloads. That ticket was then closed because the issue was deemed resolved, but none of the recommendations that I received from Exetel made any difference. This is my current ADSL status at the moment:

Statistics Downstream Upstream
Line Rate 7111 kbps 812 kbps
Attainable Line Rate 6728 kbps 904 kbps
Noise Margin 11.1 dB 13.2 dB
Line Attenuation 48.6 dB 25.4 dB
Output Power 20.2 dB 12.6 dB

This is my connection speed with one computer connected to the router.

I am not sure, if my location has made any difference. I was on Exetel at my old apartment which I had with no problems being about 1km from the exchange, but this new location that I moved to recently that is further from the same exchange has had a lot of problems with the internet and I wonder if it is because of the distance.

Is there anyone that can help me make sense of it all? I depends on the internet for a lot of things and it's really frustrating to not be able to work through it properly.

Hi,

I have re-opened the ticket and replied to your email with what we need to do next :D
To Log a fault ticket, please click Here or alternatively call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)

==============
Exetel Support Portal
==============

EdeiZ

Post by EdeiZ » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:31 pm

Dazzled wrote:Your attenuation suggests you are >3 km from the exchange, by road. Is this so?
I think I'm less than 3km. According to the maps, I'm only about 2.5km from the exchange by road.
udara wrote: Hi,

I have re-opened the ticket and replied to your email with what we need to do next :D
Thank you. I have replied to your email and we'll take it from there.