Connections a long distance from the exchange

Connection issues, drop outs or speed related faults for ADSL and ADSL2+ services
maestro

Connections a long distance from the exchange

Post by maestro » Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:14 pm

Does anyone know if AAPT/Powertel have stopped allowing Exetel to sign up new customers on long ( > 5km ) lines?

I have a 6.3km line (according to Telstra Wholesale) and I am currently on an Exetel plan through AAPT equipment (and have been for around 5 years). Telstra, Optus and the rest all refuse to connect me. I currently get 1.5Mb/s with the occasional issue in the evenings, which is far superior to wireless where I live both in cost and reliability.

The people 6 houses down the road have had their recent Exetel (AAPT) application rejected and they don't know why. I am 99% sure that they have a direct line to the exchange (no RIM or green cabinet in the way).

AAPT used to have a reputation for connecting anybody and everybody irrespective of the line length (you just got slower speeds). Has this changed?

LarryK

Re: Connections a long distance from the exchange

Post by LarryK » Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:16 pm

Hi,

Telstra Wholesale provides line stats via a 'service qualification' SQ tool to retail and wholesale ISP's, because it's a Telstra owned copper line.

DSL signals have thresholds for them to work at certain speeds, like distance from exchange, diameter of the copper, quality of the copper etc. The closer you are the faster speeds and better quality service you'll get, the further away you are these
decrease.

The copper line also degrades over time for varying reasons.

If you had a SQ done a few years ago, the SQ result may have passed then, but since there may have been damage to the copper line making DSL signals degrade, there may have been changed to the path of the line, there just could be more customers on segments closer to the exchange making DSL signals at the other end just that bit worse. All to do with laws of physics.

If the SQ result now fails, and from the sounds of if your is 'transmission loss too high' (this is usually associated with distance) then the line won't be provisioned for any new DSL service, or re-provisioned if DSL is disconnected just recently.

My advice to you is keep the service you have as inevitably, if there is a change to the current DSL service, you most likely won't be able to have DSL on the line again.

maestro

Post by maestro » Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:32 pm

Sorry for the delay, I only just saw the reply.
LarryK wrote:Telstra Wholesale provides line stats via a 'service qualification' SQ tool to retail and wholesale ISP's, because it's a Telstra owned copper line.
Larry, Thanks for your answer. Being just borderline myself, I guess my friend must have a slightly more degraded line.

Although this does not explain why I was able to get connected via AAPT, but both Telstra and Optus refused to connect me (including Exetel's Optus plans). Does AAPT use a different test, or a different threshold?
LarryK wrote:My advice to you is keep the service you have as inevitably, if there is a change to the current DSL service, you most likely won't be able to have DSL on the line again.
Yes, I intend to keep my ADSL service active and have this in mind. Also, it is possible that I will be disconnected due to "unsuitable line" if I report a fault on my line? Or are they obliged to bring my long line back up to ADSL standard simply because I already have a service?

The reason I ask is that my service quality dropped significantly a year or so ago when Exetel made changes to the settings for my port at the DSLAM (this improved my speed but decreased the reliability). I raised a ticket later asking if these could be reverted, but they instead asked me for a heap of info (which is quite involved, including getting extra modems, etc). I haven't followed through with this as I am concerned that if they look too deeply they will end up saying my line is unsuitable and disconnect me. All I really wanted (and asked for) was for the previous settings to be restored. I am trying to make as little noise as possible because as slow as my connection is (1.5Mb/s) it beats the crap out of wireless and I am scared that I will be disconnected if I prove too much trouble!

stevecJ
Forum Admin

Post by stevecJ » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:26 am

maestro wrote: Yes, I intend to keep my ADSL service active and have this in mind. Also, it is possible that I will be disconnected due to "unsuitable line" if I report a fault on my line? Or are they obliged to bring my long line back up to ADSL standard simply because I already have a service?

The reason I ask is that my service quality dropped significantly a year or so ago when Exetel made changes to the settings for my port at the DSLAM (this improved my speed but decreased the reliability). I raised a ticket later asking if these could be reverted, but they instead asked me for a heap of info (which is quite involved, including getting extra modems, etc). I haven't followed through with this as I am concerned that if they look too deeply they will end up saying my line is unsuitable and disconnect me. All I really wanted (and asked for) was for the previous settings to be restored. I am trying to make as little noise as possible because as slow as my connection is (1.5Mb/s) it beats the crap out of wireless and I am scared that I will be disconnected if I prove too much trouble!
Hi,

Could you please PM me your service number or drop an email to ''residentialsupport@exetel.com.au' with the ticket number, so we could look in to this further :?:
To Log a fault ticket, please click click here or alternatively call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)

=================
Exetel Support Portal
=================