ADSL only -> ADSL + Telephone

Connection issues, drop outs or speed related faults for ADSL and ADSL2+ services
Yuri

ADSL only -> ADSL + Telephone

Post by Yuri » Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:24 pm

I have multiple phone lines at work, two of which are connected in rotary: one of those lines in rotary is connected to Exetel for ADSL only (it's a historical thing since the days of applecomm).
As my contract with the existing phone service supplier has expired, I wish to move my ADSL to one of my lines that's not in rotary so that I can sign up for an Exetel ADSL+phone plan.

As I understand it, the MOVE SERVICE option will cancel the ADSL service on the existing line (but leave the phone line connected) and commence an ADSL and phone service on the new line.
I need to confirm that you will not cancel the phone service on the old line when MOVE the ADSL service. I understand that you will take over the phone service on the new line, that's fine.

Yuri.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: ADSL only -> ADSL + Telephone

Post by CoreyPlover » Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:01 pm

My understanding is the same as yours, but I will direct this thread to an Exetel rep to confirm this
I am a volunteer moderator and not an Exetel staff member. As with all forum posts, mine do not constitute any "official" Exetel position. Support tickets may be logged via https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au

Yuri

Post by Yuri » Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:00 am

Thanks.

EromalR
Exetel Staff

Post by EromalR » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:02 am

Yuri wrote:I have multiple phone lines at work, two of which are connected in rotary: one of those lines in rotary is connected to Exetel for ADSL only (it's a historical thing since the days of applecomm).
As my contract with the existing phone service supplier has expired, I wish to move my ADSL to one of my lines that's not in rotary so that I can sign up for an Exetel ADSL+phone plan.

As I understand it, the MOVE SERVICE option will cancel the ADSL service on the existing line (but leave the phone line connected) and commence an ADSL and phone service on the new line.
I need to confirm that you will not cancel the phone service on the old line when MOVE the ADSL service. I understand that you will take over the phone service on the new line, that's fine.

Yuri.
"you will not cancel the phone service on the old line when MOVE the ADSL service".
-No. your phoneline will not be cancelled as it is not bundled to us.

"I understand that you will take over the phone service on the new line, that's fine"
-Yes

Yuri

Post by Yuri » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:24 am

Well, the Move Service has been an unmitigated disaster.

I scheduled a move service for Wed 25/7 (in order to move my ADSL from one number to another at my workplace to get it away from a number in rotary) so that I could port it to Exetel. On Thursday, 26/7 at 2.53pm, I received notification from Exetel that the account number supplied to me by my then telco supplier was invalid. Ten minutes later the ADSL was turned off. From my Blackberry, I emailed "Provisioning" who replied at 5.07pm that "Your ADSL service with TE-2D service plan is still active with Exetel. I will now forward your mail to our support team to asssist you."

At 6.01pm, I received an email that my ADSL application had been rejected by Optus.

At 9.38pm, Support told me "We currently don't see any of the mentioned services online." End of "support".

As per advice from Provisioning, I tried to "resubmit" but there's no OPF-3 plan on the resubmit page (nearest being an obsolete OT-100 plan). I emailed Provisioning telling them that I couldn't resubmit because there was no OPF-3 plan on the page they directed me to. No reply.

On Monday 30/7, I rang Provisioning who told me to submit a new application as I don't appear to have an active service <duh!>. I did so, the Optus Availability Check confirmed that ADSL was available, and I completed the online paper work.

On Tuesday 31/7, I received this email "Optus, our supplier has now advised that the estimated date for completion of this order is the 15th of October."

"Available" = 11 weeks???? You surely cannot be serious!

I rang Provisioning understandly somewhat upset: I discussed switching to a business plan for better service from Exetel, which the staff-member competently and seamlessly handled (she was very efficient, compliments to her). As a result, I'm to be connected on 15 August. I was also promised a mobile broadband modem for use when ADSL is offline (I'd classify no service for 3 weeks as being offline) but that hasn't appeared. Worst of all, our EmailToSMS facility has also been disabled so not only can our clients not contact us by email, we can't even send text messages advising them of forthcoming appointments etc. Having three ADSL accounts and two mobile phone accounts with Exetel doesn't get you any improved service).

I'm now worried that on 15 August, Optus/Exetel will find that the account number is wrong again and we'll be offline for another 3-6 weeks. I worry that clients emailing us are getting bounced email advice; have we lost all our other settings (eg exeSMS settings, EmailToSMS, etc)?

MORAL of this saga: NEVER MOVE YOUR SERVICE (if you can possibly help it)

Issues:
1. Telcos obstruct movement of customers by hiding or providing misleading wholesale account numbers.
2. Exetel and/or Optus don't give any forthcoming advice that an account number will be wrong: it's only AFTER rejection that they tell you that a Telstra account number has to be 10 digits long (and it was a Whirlpool member who advised that the number has to end in 00,10, 20 or 30). That would have alerted me long before the changeover date that the account number was wrong. Exetel then don't give you an option to abandon a Cancellation before cutting you off.
3. It is extraordinarily misleading of Optus to say ADSL is available with a connection delay of 11 weeks (and thus in my case, even if the account number had been correct in the first place, we'd have been "off the air" for 3-11 weeks).

With the benefit of 20/20 hindsight, I should have applied for a new service and waited till that service was active before cancelling the old service, but there was no advice here on the forum that the process could go so horribly wrong.

There has to be a more transparent way that customers can get access to correct account numbers from their reseller and there needs to be a system that Exetel can use to verify that an account number is valid before the rejection by Optus.

Yuri.

rukshani
Exetel Staff

Post by rukshani » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:12 pm

Yuri wrote:Well, the Move Service has been an unmitigated disaster.

I scheduled a move service for Wed 25/7 (in order to move my ADSL from one number to another at my workplace to get it away from a number in rotary) so that I could port it to Exetel. On Thursday, 26/7 at 2.53pm, I received notification from Exetel that the account number supplied to me by my then telco supplier was invalid. Ten minutes later the ADSL was turned off. From my Blackberry, I emailed "Provisioning" who replied at 5.07pm that "Your ADSL service with TE-2D service plan is still active with Exetel. I will now forward your mail to our support team to asssist you."

At 6.01pm, I received an email that my ADSL application had been rejected by Optus.

At 9.38pm, Support told me "We currently don't see any of the mentioned services online." End of "support".

As per advice from Provisioning, I tried to "resubmit" but there's no OPF-3 plan on the resubmit page (nearest being an obsolete OT-100 plan). I emailed Provisioning telling them that I couldn't resubmit because there was no OPF-3 plan on the page they directed me to. No reply.

On Monday 30/7, I rang Provisioning who told me to submit a new application as I don't appear to have an active service <duh!>. I did so, the Optus Availability Check confirmed that ADSL was available, and I completed the online paper work.

On Tuesday 31/7, I received this email "Optus, our supplier has now advised that the estimated date for completion of this order is the 15th of October."

I rang Provisioning understandly somewhat upset: I discussed switching to a business plan for better service from Exetel, which the staff-member competently and seamlessly handled (she was very efficient, compliments to her). As a result, I'm to be connected on 15 August. I was also promised a mobile broadband modem for use when ADSL is offline (I'd classify no service for 3 weeks as being offline) but that hasn't appeared. Worst of all, our EmailToSMS facility has also been disabled so not only can our clients not contact us by email, we can't even send text messages advising them of forthcoming appointments etc. Having three ADSL accounts and two mobile phone accounts with Exetel doesn't get you any improved service).

I'm now worried that on 15 August, Optus/Exetel will find that the account number is wrong again and we'll be offline for another 3-6 weeks. I worry that clients emailing us are getting bounced email advice; have we lost all our other settings (eg exeSMS settings, EmailToSMS, etc)?

Issues:
1. Telcos obstruct movement of customers by hiding or providing misleading wholesale account numbers.
2. Exetel and/or Optus don't give any forthcoming advice that an account number will be wrong: it's only AFTER rejection that they tell you that a Telstra account number has to be 10 digits long (and it was a Whirlpool member who advised that the number has to end in 00,10, 20 or 30). That would have alerted me long before the changeover date that the account number was wrong. Exetel then don't give you an option to abandon a Cancellation before cutting you off.
3. It is extraordinarily misleading of Optus to say ADSL is available with a connection delay of 11 weeks (and thus in my case, even if the account number had been correct in the first place, we'd have been "off the air" for 3-11 weeks).

With the benefit of 20/20 hindsight, I should have applied for a new service and waited till that service was active before cancelling the old service, but there was no advice here on the forum that the process could go so horribly wrong.

There has to be a more transparent way that customers can get access to correct account numbers from their reseller and there needs to be a system that Exetel can use to verify that an account number is valid before the rejection by Optus.

Yuri.

I have requested the the team leader of Exetel provisioning to look in to this issue with priority. He will advise you on all concerns raised.

stevecJ
Forum Admin

Post by stevecJ » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:32 pm

Yuri wrote:Well, the Move Service has been an unmitigated disaster.

Issues:

Yuri.

Hi Yuri,

We thank you for bringing this to our attention, when an order is processed the whole sale account number is the number which is used between Optus (our provider) and your loosing provider so the number porting is legit. Once an order has been rejected, we cannot continue with the rejected order and a new order needs to be submitted which an new approximate processing time would start which would be 8 to 10 business days. There would be delays depending on the suppliers requirements and if no problems or issues are found, the service would be connected on the above mentioned time frame.
The account number can only be requested by the customer and we as a re-seller cannot contact retail providers to obtain the whole sale account number.

Also could you please email me 'stevej@exetel.com.au' the ticket number (If you have any) with regards to arranging the temporary mobile broadband service, so I can look in to it further.

Cheers.
To Log a fault ticket, please click click here or alternatively call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)

=================
Exetel Support Portal
=================