Changing DSL supplier in Tasmania...

Connection issues, drop outs or speed related faults for ADSL and ADSL2+ services
crazyhawk

Re: Changing DSL supplier in Tasmania...

Post by crazyhawk » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:41 pm

Devonport user here....been 5 days now that I've been having connection speeds worse than my dial-up from 1990's :cry: :x

WilliamC

Post by WilliamC » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:44 pm

crazyhawk wrote:Devonport user here....been 5 days now that I've been having connection speeds worse than my dial-up from 1990's :cry: :x
Hi Crazyhawk,

Also I believe you are suffering from the same issues. Can you please try lowering the MTU on the WAN port of your modem to 1400 this will give you some relief.

Regards,

William

crazyhawk

Post by crazyhawk » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:51 pm

WilliamC wrote:
crazyhawk wrote:Devonport user here....been 5 days now that I've been having connection speeds worse than my dial-up from 1990's :cry: :x
Hi Crazyhawk,

Also I believe you are suffering from the same issues. Can you please try lowering the MTU on the WAN port of your modem to 1400 this will give you some relief.

Regards,

William
Just tried that thanks William....I think it's improved a bit..... hopefully things will be back to normal ASAP

Thankyou

Amraks

Post by Amraks » Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:02 am

I have reverted back to my old settings from when I was getting good speeds
DSL-2730B

these settings made it go slow
PPPoE
encaps: LLC

On these settings I was getting 30kbs

So I am now using

PPPoA
encaps: VC-Mux

getting speeds of 550kbps

Topgunn

Post by Topgunn » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:52 am

Seems a bit better today and with the MTU fix I can atleast browse again and use my connection although my sync speed is a bit lower than before.
So it wasnt just changing wholesaler the brighton exchange it was all of Tassie. Not a good start for the new supplier...
Good to see your doing your best to rectify the situation, thank you.
I shall keep tabs on these two pages for when i can change my connection back.
p.s on a side note I noticed a member changed from ppoe to ppoa. I have always been on ppoe (and still am) but I was wondering what is to gain with using ppoa with Exetel?
Thanks again for the temp fix!
EDIT: Just reporting Speedtests peak at 500KB/s and average at 300 so still less that a 1/4 of my usual speeds but atleast usable for the interim.

cstone79

Post by cstone79 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:19 am

I’m on the Taroona exchange and problem still not resolved for me. However I have carried out the WilliamC’s suggested modem change MTU=1400 (see his post viewtopic.php?f=296&t=39797#p302792). After changing MTU my speed went from 0.2Mbits/s to 3.0Mbits/s so worthwhile temp improvement and I recommend others give it try until main issue is resolved.

Wrathicus

Post by Wrathicus » Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:09 pm

Unfortunately after not being able to locate MTU in my router settings... I did abit of research on my router. Turns out its AUTO and you can't change it at all on my router... :(
Guess im waiting on a fix still. 1 week tomorrow. Nice. :|

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:01 pm

Wrathicus. you can change MTU in a computer. For Windows look up netsh. [edit: eg http://www.richard-slater.co.uk/archive ... windows-7/]

Routers can change too. What is your modem/router make/model? [edit: most have a GUI but even if there is no browser setting, ifconfig at low level will always do it]

Tazz

Post by Tazz » Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:22 pm

cstone79 wrote:I’m on the Taroona exchange and problem still not resolved for me. However I have carried out the WilliamC’s suggested modem change MTU=1400 (see his post viewtopic.php?f=296&t=39797#p302792). After changing MTU my speed went from 0.2Mbits/s to 3.0Mbits/s so worthwhile temp improvement and I recommend others give it try until main issue is resolved.
I did this 1400 MTU change too, and yes there is an improvement, but, it's still slow, and our Tassie problem still needs fixing properly.

Amraks

Post by Amraks » Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:43 pm

You gotta change it on the router.

You can login with telnet to change it on the router.
but the settings won't stick if the router is rebooted you gotta keep doing it if the modem resets.

ifconfig (lists the interfaces)

if the one with the net ip address is interface is ppp0
ifconfig ppp0 mtu 1400 (sets mtu)

ifconfig ppp0 (check if it changed the mtu)

another thing too
People with slow connections may I ask what encapsulation and link type you use?
ex. PPPoA - VC/MUX

because when I go back to
PPPoE
encaps: LLC

my internet dies.

Update just tested these in case, I noticed after I made this post that its back to normal in that regard I'm back using PPPoE.

Wrathicus

Post by Wrathicus » Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:34 pm

Dazzled wrote:Wrathicus. you can change MTU in a computer. For Windows look up netsh. [edit: eg http://www.richard-slater.co.uk/archive ... windows-7/]

Routers can change too. What is your modem/router make/model? [edit: most have a GUI but even if there is no browser setting, ifconfig at low level will always do it]
Hi Dazzled,
I'm using a D-link DSL-2730B (Yes I know... D-link Argh! :wink: )
I appreciate your help, That setting has definitely made browsing smoother. But speeds are still very slow :(

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:08 pm

I don't have a CLI reference for that model modem/router, and I can't find one issued by D-Link, so to change it you'll have to wing it.

In the browser interface, enter the unit as admin.
select Access Control -> Services.
Enable telnet on the LAN side only. NEVER open the WAN side.
Save/apply. You can leave the browser

If you use Windows check that telnet is enabled (in some versions MS is stupid enough to hide it).

Then start up a DOS Prompt (Win) /Terminal (Mac) window and type
telnet 192.168.1.1

Now login - the default user name is admin and the default password is admin (all lower case), just as for the browser interface.

If successful you will see a terminal screen with possibly a help command suggestion.
Then follow Amraks' instructions above.

If you get a response to ifconfig we are away! Note the f in the command (this is what Windows calls ipconfig).

Any change you make this way will not survive a modem reboot.

[ps] if you are confused by the interface names listed by ifconfig have a look for the one used for the net in the status pages of the browser interface. I just did this for the modem I'm using, and it is called ppp_8_35_1 there.

Amraks

Post by Amraks » Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:52 pm

Im using the same router as him lol.

my instructions will work.

go into control panel you might need to enable telnet

Maintenance --> Access Control --> Services then Check Telnet and apply the setting.
Maintenance --> System --> Reboot

now on your desktop go to Start --> Run (in the box type "cmd') now in black box which is dos type telnet -u admin -p admin 192.168.1.1
not sure on your modems IP address.
once you are into your modem you can,

follow my previous instructions. without fail.

sebjepb

Post by sebjepb » Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:21 am

Have tried changing MTU back to 1492 and issue has not been fixed this morning . With MTU at 1400 performance is better but still degraded.

chronographer

Post by chronographer » Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:55 am

Hi all

My service is still degraded too. If it isn't fixed by this evening then I'm changing away.

Last chance, otherwise I'm changing away after many years as a dedicated and happy customer.

Regards,