Changing DSL supplier in Tasmania...

Connection issues, drop outs or speed related faults for ADSL and ADSL2+ services
User avatar
KavindaS
Forum Admin
Posts: 2298
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:59 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Changing DSL supplier in Tasmania...

Post by KavindaS » Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:52 pm

Kamma wrote:Still stuffed for me. :(
Your reference number is 5837620. We have already sent you the message. It is still under investigation and no ETR from the supplier end.

User avatar
KavindaS
Forum Admin
Posts: 2298
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:59 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Changing DSL supplier in Tasmania...

Post by KavindaS » Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:54 pm

cstone79 wrote:Seems a bit better today but i'm not getting as good a speed improvement as others have posted. However the trend with speed and ping is still downwards as the day progresses and still not back to the speed and stability i had before this issue started.

I raised a fault ticket for this problem on 27/10/11 and issue was escalated to supplier individually on 4/11/12 with new ticket #5835222. Exetel support just sent me an SMS saying "issue is still under investigation by our wholesale supplier. Currently no ETA for the restoration".
This indicates they are still working on it so fingers crossed they get a result (for all those effected) soon.
Hi,

As you said Currently no ETA for the restoration and we will be sending the update via your reference number 5835222.

seaeagle
Posts: 112
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:30 pm
Location: Burnie

Re: Changing DSL supplier in Tasmania...

Post by seaeagle » Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:59 am

I have been having my internet speed yo-yo for days here in Burnie , but apparently missed the first week or so of the fun, because I normally have my MTU = 1400 :D lucky me.

Since we listen a lot to the Dutch radio Classic FM on http://www.classicfm.nl/ I find this is a very good indicator, When this buffers the stream I know there is trouble. I hind sight this started playing up late October. Anyway whenever I hear stuttering I may do speed test, depending on what I am doing, the last couple of days.

I would have attached a text file of todays result but it seems that I can not do that. The range of speeds have been from 150 kb/s to 1950 kb/s for a plan of 1500 kb/s. This normally around 1400 kb/s :D

Cindercharge
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:06 pm
Location: Launceston, TAS

Re: Changing DSL supplier in Tasmania...

Post by Cindercharge » Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:38 pm

To KavindaS,

A recent post by an Exetel user on Whirlpool has the following information which they state was sourced from Exetel itself regarding the state-wide Tasmanian issue which has been an on-going problem since 23rd Oct 2012 post-wholesale DSL supplier transfer from Telstra to AAPT:

"The issue was identified as contention within our wholesale carrier network. Currently there is not ETA to upgrade bandwidth available for affected services. The time frame we have been given, should extra bandwidth be available, is 6-8 weeks. While we continue to negotiate for a much shorter time frame, that is the information we have at the moment."

KavindaS, do you have the authority to corroborate, disclose or otherwise confirm this information as posted?

Kamma
Posts: 22
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2007 6:42 pm
Location: Hobart, Tasmania

Re: Changing DSL supplier in Tasmania...

Post by Kamma » Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:44 pm

Thank you for posting this Cindercharge, if confirmed I will be looking for a new ISP.

Cindercharge
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:06 pm
Location: Launceston, TAS

Re: Changing DSL supplier in Tasmania...

Post by Cindercharge » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:06 pm

Kamma wrote:Thank you for posting this Cindercharge, if confirmed I will be looking for a new ISP.
Not a problem. Take it with a grain of salt until confirmed, of course.

Given the level of discussion on this state-wide issue still present in such public forums as the Exetel User Help Forum, Whirlpool and even Exetel's Facebook page, there is a surprising lack of detailed communications on the matter from Exetel staffers above the Level 1, Sri Lankan-based, Network Support Engineer crowd, who most likely do not have access to any more information than they currently provide, as courteous as they are when they present it.

Certainly, it is somewhat disheartening to repeatedly receive SMS messages, or one-line emails, from these Exetel staffers stating that, basically, Exetel has no control over the quality of its own ADSL services in Tasmania due to the apparent inertia in their wholesale DSL supplier support chain to fix what appears to be a bandwidth congestion situation.

Outside of the fault ticket system, apart from the email provided by Exetel CEO Steve Waddington on 01 Nov 2012, ever since the "final fix" time/date of 0630, Sat, 03 Nov 2012, the public status on progress made in remediating the Tasmanian-wide Exetel ADSL connection issues has remained, remarkably, unchanged

Given the level of Tasmanian-based, Exetel customer hemorrhaging occurring on a continuous basis in the past week (if one believes the statements made on the public discussion forums) then some form of public comment on the matter in the next week could only be beneficial to Exetel and their remaining customers, if only from a public relations standpoint.

James
Exetel Staff
Posts: 1983
Joined: Mon May 09, 2005 10:27 pm

Re: Changing DSL supplier in Tasmania...

Post by James » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:55 pm

delete
Last edited by James on Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kamma
Posts: 22
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2007 6:42 pm
Location: Hobart, Tasmania

Re: Changing DSL supplier in Tasmania...

Post by Kamma » Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:03 pm

James wrote:
Cindercharge wrote:To KavindaS,

A recent post by an Exetel user on Whirlpool has the following information which they state was sourced from Exetel itself regarding the state-wide Tasmanian issue which has been an on-going problem since 23rd Oct 2012 post-wholesale DSL supplier transfer from Telstra to AAPT:

"The issue was identified as contention within our wholesale carrier network. Currently there is not ETA to upgrade bandwidth available for affected services. The time frame we have been given, should extra bandwidth be available, is 6-8 weeks. While we continue to negotiate for a much shorter time frame, that is the information we have at the moment."

KavindaS, do you have the authority to corroborate, disclose or otherwise confirm this information as posted?
The congestion issue will be fixed well before 6-8 weeks, these things normally take weeks, not months.
I hope Exetel can give some kind of timeframe for a solution to this issue. 2 weeks is already too long, another 2 weeks is unacceptable, 6-8 weeks is complete madness.

christhementalist
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:24 pm
Location: Australia

Re: Changing DSL supplier in Tasmania...

Post by christhementalist » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:13 am

Looks like Exetel's solution to this is to cut their Tasmanian customer base:
Exetel regret to advise you that your current ADSL plan is being withdrawn by Exetel at the end of November.

The notice for the withdrawal of your current plan is given under the terms of your contract, specifically clause 3.3:

(ii) giving the Customer twenty-one (21) days notice in writing of the change before the change occurs.
...
Exetel is giving you the required 21 days notice that this plan will not be available after midnight on 28th November 2012, and will be replaced with a new plan.

The options available to you are:

1) Use the 'change plan' function in the Exetel User Facilities to
select another Exetel plan before midnight on 28th November 2012.

2) Transfer your ADSL service to another provider before midnight on
28th November 2012.

If you have not chosen either of these options Exetel will automatically move you to the following plan from November 29 2012. The plan details are:

Plan Name: ADSL2-200

Plan Price: $57.50 per month

Included Download Allowance Peak: 200 Gbytes

Included Download Allowance off Peak: Unmetred*

Contract Term: none

Total minimum cost for service: $57.50

Cost of 1Mbyte data (included in plan): Included in monthly plan value

Cost of 1Mbyte data (excess usage, peak): Speed Shaping to 1024/384 kbps

Cost of 1Mbyte data (excess usage off, peak): $0

*Unmetered means that the amount you download during this period will not be counted towards any usage allowance and you will not be billed for any data during the off peak period.

Exetel understands that any change to a service, particularly a price increase, will not be well regarded by any customer and we regret the necessity of doing so in this instance but, like any commercial organization, we must meet any changes in the marketplaces in which we operate with actions that allow us to continue to offer the services and the performance all of our customers expect and are entitled to.

Regards

Exetel Residential Sales
Looks like a churn is in order afterall! Thanks Exetel :(

User avatar
jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin
Posts: 2970
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2004 10:23 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Changing DSL supplier in Tasmania...

Post by jokiin » Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:06 am

christhementalist wrote:Looks like Exetel's solution to this is to cut their Tasmanian customer base:
Exetel regret to advise you that your current ADSL plan is being withdrawn by Exetel at the end of November.

The notice for the withdrawal of your current plan is given under the terms of your contract, specifically clause 3.3:

(ii) giving the Customer twenty-one (21) days notice in writing of the change before the change occurs.
...
Exetel is giving you the required 21 days notice that this plan will not be available after midnight on 28th November 2012, and will be replaced with a new plan.

The options available to you are:

1) Use the 'change plan' function in the Exetel User Facilities to
select another Exetel plan before midnight on 28th November 2012.

2) Transfer your ADSL service to another provider before midnight on
28th November 2012.

If you have not chosen either of these options Exetel will automatically move you to the following plan from November 29 2012. The plan details are:

Plan Name: ADSL2-200

Plan Price: $57.50 per month

Included Download Allowance Peak: 200 Gbytes

Included Download Allowance off Peak: Unmetred*

Contract Term: none

Total minimum cost for service: $57.50

Cost of 1Mbyte data (included in plan): Included in monthly plan value

Cost of 1Mbyte data (excess usage, peak): Speed Shaping to 1024/384 kbps

Cost of 1Mbyte data (excess usage off, peak): $0

*Unmetered means that the amount you download during this period will not be counted towards any usage allowance and you will not be billed for any data during the off peak period.

Exetel understands that any change to a service, particularly a price increase, will not be well regarded by any customer and we regret the necessity of doing so in this instance but, like any commercial organization, we must meet any changes in the marketplaces in which we operate with actions that allow us to continue to offer the services and the performance all of our customers expect and are entitled to.

Regards

Exetel Residential Sales
Looks like a churn is in order afterall! Thanks Exetel :(
that's the standard notification sent whenever old plans are withdrawn, suppliers are changed, anything that could be seen as a reduction in services etc, you're given the option to migrate, choose something else or leave altogether with no penalty (if there was one applicable), it's not an effort to reduce customers

crazyhawk
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:02 pm
Location: Tassie

Re: Changing DSL supplier in Tasmania...

Post by crazyhawk » Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:07 am

christhementalist wrote:Looks like Exetel's solution to this is to cut their Tasmanian customer base:
Exetel regret to advise you that your current ADSL plan is being withdrawn by Exetel at the end of November.

If you have not chosen either of these options Exetel will automatically move you to the following plan from November 29 2012. The plan details are:

Plan Name: ADSL2-200

Plan Price: $57.50 per month

Included Download Allowance Peak: 200 Gbytes

Included Download Allowance off Peak: Unmetred*

Regards

Exetel Residential Sales
Looks like a churn is in order afterall! Thanks Exetel :(
When I go to "Change Service" in my user facilities, the only 2 plan options I'm given are ADSL2+ (via AAPT):
A1 $29.50/month 75 GB ** 12 Months Term
A2 $44.50/month 250 GB ** 12 Months Term

Why didn't they give us the option to switching to these? Haven't we been switched to AAPT anyway? I'm confused by this whole thing :?

Piesy001
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon May 01, 2006 10:08 pm

Re: Changing DSL supplier in Tasmania...

Post by Piesy001 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:03 am

crazyhawk wrote:
christhementalist wrote:Looks like Exetel's solution to this is to cut their Tasmanian customer base:
Exetel regret to advise you that your current ADSL plan is being withdrawn by Exetel at the end of November.

If you have not chosen either of these options Exetel will automatically move you to the following plan from November 29 2012. The plan details are:

Plan Name: ADSL2-200

Plan Price: $57.50 per month

Included Download Allowance Peak: 200 Gbytes

Included Download Allowance off Peak: Unmetred*

Regards

Exetel Residential Sales
Looks like a churn is in order afterall! Thanks Exetel :(
When I go to "Change Service" in my user facilities, the only 2 plan options I'm given are ADSL2+ (via AAPT):
A1 $29.50/month 75 GB ** 12 Months Term
A2 $44.50/month 250 GB ** 12 Months Term

Why didn't they give us the option to switching to these? Haven't we been switched to AAPT anyway? I'm confused by this whole thing :?
This is my email,

Exetel is giving you the required 21 days notice that this plan will not be available after midnight on 28th November 2012, and will be replaced with a new plan.

The options available to you are:

1) Use the 'change plan' function in the Exetel User Facilities to
select another Exetel plan before midnight on 28th November 2012.

2) Transfer your ADSL service to another provider before midnight on
28th November 2012.

If you have not chosen either of these options Exetel will automatically move you to the following plan from November 29 2012. The plan details are:

Plan Name: ADSL2-200

Plan Price: $67.50 per month

Included Download Allowance Peak: 200 Gbytes

Included Download Allowance off Peak: Unmetered*

Contract Term: none

Total minimum cost for service: $67.50

Cost of 1Mbyte data (included in plan): Included in monthly plan value

Cost of 1Mbyte data (excess usage, peak): Speed Shaping to 1024/384 kbps

Cost of 1Mbyte data (excess usage off, peak): $0

Why is my plan costing 10 dollars more a month?

Piesy001
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon May 01, 2006 10:08 pm

Re: Changing DSL supplier in Tasmania...

Post by Piesy001 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:11 am

Oh I just checked, you have brought in 'country' and 'metro' pricing.

Back to the good old days. Nice work.

Nothing like a $25.50 rise in the morning to swallow for breakfast..

Cindercharge
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:06 pm
Location: Launceston, TAS

Re: Changing DSL supplier in Tasmania...

Post by Cindercharge » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:24 am

James wrote:
Cindercharge wrote:To KavindaS,

A recent post by an Exetel user on Whirlpool has the following information which they state was sourced from Exetel itself regarding the state-wide Tasmanian issue which has been an on-going problem since 23rd Oct 2012 post-wholesale DSL supplier transfer from Telstra to AAPT:

"The issue was identified as contention within our wholesale carrier network. Currently there is not ETA to upgrade bandwidth available for affected services. The time frame we have been given, should extra bandwidth be available, is 6-8 weeks. While we continue to negotiate for a much shorter time frame, that is the information we have at the moment."

KavindaS, do you have the authority to corroborate, disclose or otherwise confirm this information as posted?
The congestion issue will be fixed well before 6-8 weeks, these things normally take weeks, not months.
Hello James,

Thank you for the response, brief as it is.

Are you able to expand on the the comment regarding the time to remediation of congestion issues, that is, provide more details from AAPT specifically on their timeframe to implement the fix?

As noted elsewhere in this thread, the issues began 23rd Oct 2012 and continue to this day, 8 Nov 2012, duration of degraded ADSL services of 16 days.

If your comment is taken that "weeks" is equivalent to 2-4 weeks maximum from this day forward, then the overall period of degraded services will be 4 - 6 weeks.

Is this the case?

cstone79
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon May 21, 2012 12:01 pm
Location: Tasmania

Re: Changing DSL supplier in Tasmania...

Post by cstone79 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:59 am

Exetel's rep James Linton is posting comments relating to this issue on Whirlpool http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-re ... 01383&p=24 but not in this exetel forum post.
I find this very strange given that this is the main post on this issue on his own user forum!
He may have started a new post but if he has i cant find it.

Post Reply