Changing DSL supplier in Tasmania...

Connection issues, drop outs or speed related faults for ADSL and ADSL2+ services
Cindercharge

Re: Changing DSL supplier in Tasmania...

Post by Cindercharge » Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:52 pm

James wrote:
Cindercharge wrote:To KavindaS,

A recent post by an Exetel user on Whirlpool has the following information which they state was sourced from Exetel itself regarding the state-wide Tasmanian issue which has been an on-going problem since 23rd Oct 2012 post-wholesale DSL supplier transfer from Telstra to AAPT:

"The issue was identified as contention within our wholesale carrier network. Currently there is not ETA to upgrade bandwidth available for affected services. The time frame we have been given, should extra bandwidth be available, is 6-8 weeks. While we continue to negotiate for a much shorter time frame, that is the information we have at the moment."

KavindaS, do you have the authority to corroborate, disclose or otherwise confirm this information as posted?
The congestion issue will be fixed well before 6-8 weeks, these things normally take weeks, not months.
Hello James,

I received the following email correspondence from Exetel Residential Support about an hour ago

"We have heard back from our wholesale supplier and it appears that a bandwidth upgrade is required to restore the service from our supplier's end. Our supplier has advised us that there is no immediate ETR to upgrade the bandwidth for the affected services, and it may not be possible at all.

We have been advised that should extra bandwidth be available it would take around 6-8 weeks, which is clearly beyond any acceptable time frames. While we continue to negotiate for a much shorter time frame with our wholesale supplier management, that is the information that we have at the moment.

If the current service is not suitable then the option is to change to an alternative service provide. The amount billed for this month (November 2012) will be fully credited to you.

Should you chose to churn to another provider before the 30/11/2012, we will waive any early termination fees if applicable.

We sincerely apologies for the inconvenience caused with regards to this matter."

It therefore appears that the original statement made on Whirlpool regarding the 6-8 week time-frame has more substance than was originally given credit for, which is unfortunate, and, as the email states, there is the hope that a shorter time-frame can be negotiated for by Exetel with AAPT.

I would respectfully request that as a still present customer of Exetel that regular updates on this matter still be made public given their wide spread effects to Tasmanian-based Exetel customers.

Secondly, it has been previously stated, and confirmed in an email directly to me by Exetel CEO Steve Waddington that the 30 Nov 2012 deadline for churning before early termination fees are again applied does not apply in this circumstance. I would hope that this gesture of good faith is extended to all Tasmanian-based Exetel ADSL customers, though this is obviously at Exetel's discretion.

James, please keep us posted.

James
Exetel Staff

Post by James » Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:10 pm

Cindercharge wrote:
James wrote:
Cindercharge wrote:To KavindaS,

A recent post by an Exetel user on Whirlpool has the following information which they state was sourced from Exetel itself regarding the state-wide Tasmanian issue which has been an on-going problem since 23rd Oct 2012 post-wholesale DSL supplier transfer from Telstra to AAPT:

"The issue was identified as contention within our wholesale carrier network. Currently there is not ETA to upgrade bandwidth available for affected services. The time frame we have been given, should extra bandwidth be available, is 6-8 weeks. While we continue to negotiate for a much shorter time frame, that is the information we have at the moment."

KavindaS, do you have the authority to corroborate, disclose or otherwise confirm this information as posted?
The congestion issue will be fixed well before 6-8 weeks, these things normally take weeks, not months.
Hello James,

Thank you for the response, brief as it is.

Are you able to expand on the the comment regarding the time to remediation of congestion issues, that is, provide more details from AAPT specifically on their timeframe to implement the fix?

As noted elsewhere in this thread, the issues began 23rd Oct 2012 and continue to this day, 8 Nov 2012, duration of degraded ADSL services of 16 days.

If your comment is taken that "weeks" is equivalent to 2-4 weeks maximum from this day forward, then the overall period of degraded services will be 4 - 6 weeks.

Is this the case?
Hi,

The date for rectification is not 100% set in stone, once it is, it will be communicated to all Tasmanian customers.

James

Cindercharge

Post by Cindercharge » Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:23 pm

James wrote:
Hi,

The date for rectification is not 100% set in stone, once it is, it will be communicated to all Tasmanian customers.

James
Thanks for the feedback, James.

Does the direct email sent out by Exetel Residential Support entered in the previous post above constitute the "communication to all Tasmanian customers" you refer to?

Certainly, it would appear unreasonable for Tasmanian customers to wait indefinitely for feedback on a resolution to these issues when they have been given a deadline at the end of the month of November to churn before early termination charges come into play again.

James
Exetel Staff

Post by James » Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:56 pm

Cindercharge wrote:
James wrote:
Hi,

James

Does the direct email sent out by Exetel Residential Support entered in the previous post above constitute the "communication to all Tasmanian customers" you refer to?

Certainly, it would appear unreasonable for Tasmanian customers to wait indefinitely for feedback on a resolution to these issues when they have been given a deadline at the end of the month of November to churn before early termination charges come into play again.
It woudl be unreasonable for Tasmanian customers to wait indefinitely, so we have presented the option to cancel without penalty if services are terminated/churned before the end of November.

Cindercharge

Post by Cindercharge » Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:11 pm

James wrote:
Cindercharge wrote:
James wrote:
Hi,

James

It woudl be unreasonable for Tasmanian customers to wait indefinitely, so we have presented the option to cancel without penalty if services are terminated/churned before the end of November.
Thank you for the feedback again.

If I could direct you to Exetel's Facebook page, there is an entry there provided by the person/people, who have access to the page, which states:

"Exetel Pty Ltd...where you have requested to extend the ETC period, we are happy to extend it hence there will be no termination fees applied to the account should you decide to churn away in the next few months. If you do get billed an ETC post December 2012, please email billing@exetel.com.au and they will refund the amount back into your account. This is not the ideal situation we would like either, but we can't hold you down to a service you are not happy with."

Was this extension of the November churn deadline a one time offer only to a select few that inquired or did it apply to all affected Tasmanian based Exetel customers?

Would it not be more beneficial to all affected customers to at least provide more time to await a formal ETR from AAPT on the matter of fixing the state-wide congestion issue before the deadline expires? That way at least customers have the option to churn once they are more fully informed of the consequences of staying.

Shadime

Post by Shadime » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:01 pm

I received the following email correspondence from Exetel Residential Support about an hour ago

"We have heard back from our wholesale supplier and it appears that a bandwidth upgrade is required to restore the service from our supplier's end. Our supplier has advised us that there is no immediate ETR to upgrade the bandwidth for the affected services, and it may not be possible at all.

We have been advised that should extra bandwidth be available it would take around 6-8 weeks, which is clearly beyond any acceptable time frames. While we continue to negotiate for a much shorter time frame with our wholesale supplier management, that is the information that we have at the moment.

If the current service is not suitable then the option is to change to an alternative service provide. The amount billed for this month (November 2012) will be fully credited to you.

Should you chose to churn to another provider before the 30/11/2012, we will waive any early termination fees if applicable.

I have been with Exetel for a reasonable amount of time and would be disappointed if this can not continue. If the highlighted above happens and the bandwidth can not be increase will you revert back to Testra as the provider?

Thanks

James
Exetel Staff

Post by James » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:54 pm

Shadime wrote:

I have been with Exetel for a reasonable amount of time and would be disappointed if this can not continue. If the highlighted above happens and the bandwidth can not be increase will you revert back to Testra as the provider?

Thanks
Exetel is considering many options to rectify the current issues in Tasmania.

PiyumiK
Exetel Staff

Post by PiyumiK » Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:48 am

Cindercharge wrote:If I could direct you to Exetel's Facebook page, there is an entry there provided by the person/people, who have access to the page, which states:

"Exetel Pty Ltd...where you have requested to extend the ETC period, we are happy to extend it hence there will be no termination fees applied to the account should you decide to churn away in the next few months. If you do get billed an ETC post December 2012, please email billing@exetel.com.au and they will refund the amount back into your account. This is not the ideal situation we would like either, but we can't hold you down to a service you are not happy with."

Was this extension of the November churn deadline a one time offer only to a select few that inquired or did it apply to all affected Tasmanian based Exetel customers?

Would it not be more beneficial to all affected customers to at least provide more time to await a formal ETR from AAPT on the matter of fixing the state-wide congestion issue before the deadline expires? That way at least customers have the option to churn once they are more fully informed of the consequences of staying.
Hi there,

If you send an email to ceo@exetel.com.au you will receive an email which details the extension of the ETC period.
Hope that helps.

Regards,
Piyumi.

Topgunn

Post by Topgunn » Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:20 am

Seems I am still a part of this mess. As much I was hoping it was back to normal Ive been keeping tabs on it over the past few days and yeah it is better and usable now for the most part but I still have major slow downs and when that happens Ive been trying to run a quick speed test. The last one I did was at 11pm last night which isnt what you would call peak time or the "peak" off peak time and when it comes in at 50KB/s that is unacceptable for a good ADSL2 connection. It is nothing like the rock solid connection I had before the change and seems to me that I am a part of this backhaul issue. If I didnt know any better I would have to like it or lump it but I questioned Exetel if I would notice any difference at my end after the change and they assured me I wouldnt. We havent been put on cheaper plans to make up for what feels like a cheaper service and I know what my connection is capable of and how good it has been on ADSL and ADSL2 and thats what I want again. I dont want to leave Exetel and I hope you can it sorted for all Tasmanian customers. I dont think anyone will be churning away to AAPT :lol: As long as it stays usable Ill continue to ride it out and see how things progress.

James
Exetel Staff

Post by James » Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:51 pm

Hi all,

Unfortunately no progress has been made on this issue, however our senior management team are continuing their work to resolve the situation.

James

Wrathicus

Post by Wrathicus » Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:01 pm

James wrote:Hi all,

Unfortunately no progress has been made on this issue, however our senior management team are continuing their work to resolve the situation.

James
Hi James,
I just wanna thank you for the now frequent updates on this matter. At the end of the day I can't really fault Exetel for trying to resolve this issue as fast as possible and admitting their own mistakes....
However. This issue has just taken and been dragged out far to long and I can't shake the bitter taste in my mouth everytime I use my internet.
Unfortunately I put my transfer to Internode in today but I still thank Exetel for a great customer service and ISP for 2 years.
Best of luck with resolving and learning from this.

Cheers.

James
Exetel Staff

Post by James » Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:23 pm

Wrathicus wrote:
James wrote:Hi all,

James
Hi James,
I just wanna thank you for the now frequent updates on this matter. At the end of the day I can't really fault Exetel for trying to resolve this issue as fast as possible and admitting their own mistakes....
However. This issue has just taken and been dragged out far to long and I can't shake the bitter taste in my mouth everytime I use my internet.
Unfortunately I put my transfer to Internode in today but I still thank Exetel for a great customer service and ISP for 2 years.
Best of luck with resolving and learning from this.

Cheers.
Hi Wrathicus,

It has dragged on for far too long, and everyone at Exetel is sincerely sorry for the inconvenience caused.

I wish you the best of luck with your new provider, and please remember to put your cancellation request in once the churn has been done to ensure your account is closed properly.

James

Kamma

Post by Kamma » Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:10 pm

The regular updates are much appreciated.

Topgunn

Post by Topgunn » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:41 am

Mine is useless again now. Its slow 24/7 and I only have enough bandwidth to browse basic pages. There is no chance of using any type of online video which my family frequently does. My kids are starting to get frustrated at me because they dont understand why it doesnt just work. I have power cycled my system that many times Ive lost count and sometimes it helps but most times it doesnt. After I had a fault logged my connection went back to normal "ish" but now its as bad as its ever been.

borals

Post by borals » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:38 am

Hi topgunn, you are not alone and this is what I know about the situation:

The current issues for Tasmanian customers is congestion, since moving to AAPT, there is simply not enough bandwidth for the amount of customers.

Exetel have said that they are "in negotiations" with AAPT to provision more bandwidth, so in the mean time you are going to have degraded internet, especially during the most popular hours of the day.

At this stage, the only time frame given was 6-8 weeks, if at all.

-borals