So Telstra just sent us a letter about ADSL2+ being enabled

Connection issues, drop outs or speed related faults for ADSL and ADSL2+ services
Franpa

So Telstra just sent us a letter about ADSL2+ being enabled

Post by Franpa » Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:14 pm

So Telstra just sent us a letter about ADSL2+ being enabled on our phone exchange, however we've been using Telstra ADSL2 (Provisioned by you guys) for several months now so I'm wondering if this is just advertising (as it advertises some bundle pack) or if something actually has changed at the phone exchange, possibly we're no longer on a RIM?
Windows 10 Pro x64 | Intel i7 920 | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 24GB RAM | MSI Gamer 1070Ti 8GB | Integrated Sound Card | Corsair AX760 Power Supply | Exetel ZTE H268 Modem

https://www.speedtest.net/result/8729259527 (during low neighbourhood congestion)

Franpa

Re: So Telstra just sent us a letter about ADSL2+ being enab

Post by Franpa » Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:58 pm

Just by the way, what happened to the Telstra plans? I see none in the members facility when I go to look at plans I can change to... only 2 AAPT plans are listed.
Windows 10 Pro x64 | Intel i7 920 | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 24GB RAM | MSI Gamer 1070Ti 8GB | Integrated Sound Card | Corsair AX760 Power Supply | Exetel ZTE H268 Modem

https://www.speedtest.net/result/8729259527 (during low neighbourhood congestion)

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:20 am

Franpa wrote:So Telstra just sent us a letter about ADSL2+ being enabled on our phone exchange, however we've been using Telstra ADSL2 (Provisioned by you guys) for several months now so I'm wondering if this is just advertising (as it advertises some bundle pack) or if something actually has changed at the phone exchange, possibly we're no longer on a RIM?
you would still be on the RIM but you'd find there had been a Tophat installation recently which offers ADSL2+ functionality

Meshal S
Exetel Staff

Post by Meshal S » Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:44 am

Hi there,

With regards to your query on the plans visible on your members facilities, I have arranged for someone in the relevant department to look into this and keep you updated.

remosha
Exetel Staff

Post by remosha » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:02 am

Franpa wrote:Just by the way, what happened to the Telstra plans? I see none in the members facility when I go to look at plans I can change to... only 2 AAPT plans are listed.
If you wish to move to an ADSL2 plan offered via the Telstra Network, please do send your request to residentialsales@exetel.com.au and we can look into possibilities of organizing this for you.

Franpa

Post by Franpa » Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:43 pm

jokiin wrote:
Franpa wrote:So Telstra just sent us a letter about ADSL2+ being enabled on our phone exchange, however we've been using Telstra ADSL2 (Provisioned by you guys) for several months now so I'm wondering if this is just advertising (as it advertises some bundle pack) or if something actually has changed at the phone exchange, possibly we're no longer on a RIM?
you would still be on the RIM but you'd find there had been a Tophat installation recently which offers ADSL2+ functionality
What exactly does that mean for me? That more service providers other then Telstra and Optus can be utilized (Like AAPT?)? I did a quick search and there are various Whirlpool threads kinda discussing what it is (Mostly just queries if it has been enabled or not) and Telstra just doesn't say much at all about it.

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1723486
http://www.telstra.com.au/misc/tophat/

@remosha I do not currently need any assistance at the moment thank you, my question was more out of curiosity then anything else. My lust for information about what happened to them, is still not satiated!

Edit: If I'm still stuck with Telstra then I will probably want to switch from the TCV20-200 plan to the T20-4 plan simply because from my point of view it is better with no negatives? I'd have to ask my dad about bundling the phone or not though and he won't be back from work for a few hours.

Affinity

Post by Affinity » Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:04 pm

For any users using TW (Telstra Wholesale) plans at exchanges that also have AAPT equipment ... well, some users are being migrated across to AAPT services. This is a change in wholesaler provider usage, your actual plan won't change. So, I expect that if you have TW available but also have AAPT available, that it would make sense that you can't change to a TW plan (the AAPT plans are all usually better choices anyway).

Franpa

Post by Franpa » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:36 pm

Okay a straight forward question: What (On a technical level) does a Top Hat system do, or allow, that wasn't possible before?

Affinity

Post by Affinity » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:43 pm

Franpa wrote:Okay a straight forward question: What (On a technical level) does a Top Hat system do, or allow, that wasn't possible before?
Essentially before this tophat equipment, those relying on RIMs (or mini exchanges), were limited to ADSL1 services or slow ADSL2 services. Now with tophat equipment those same people can usually get very fast connections at ADSL2 speeds. Usually the distance from the exchange is the most significant factor for lower line sync and consequently slower speeds -- now those lucky enough to in a tophat area will have a much shorter cable length to such equpment and this is why they can get much improved speeds.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:29 pm

Some pics of the extra cabinet on top of the RIM cabinet here - http://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/H ... td-p/14526

Franpa

Post by Franpa » Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:05 am

Affinity wrote:
Franpa wrote:Okay a straight forward question: What (On a technical level) does a Top Hat system do, or allow, that wasn't possible before?
Essentially before this tophat equipment, those relying on RIMs (or mini exchanges), were limited to ADSL1 services or slow ADSL2 services. Now with tophat equipment those same people can usually get very fast connections at ADSL2 speeds. Usually the distance from the exchange is the most significant factor for lower line sync and consequently slower speeds -- now those lucky enough to in a tophat area will have a much shorter cable length to such equpment and this is why they can get much improved speeds.
But what does it mean in the way of infrastructure? Can I now choose from a list of plans that required different types of infrastructure then what was originally available to me? (As far as I know)

Franpa

Post by Franpa » Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:43 pm

Franpa wrote:
Affinity wrote:
But what does it mean in the way of infrastructure? Can I now choose from a list of plans that required different types of infrastructure then what was originally available to me? (As far as I know)
Basically I want to know if I apply for a plan that uses AAPT infrastructure (A1 and A2 plans) and it turns out that our location is unsuitable for such a service resulting in the plan change not going ahead, will I be charged any money? Will it impact my existing service?

Franpa

Post by Franpa » Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:18 am

Franpa wrote:Basically I want to know if I apply for a plan that uses AAPT infrastructure (A1 and A2 plans) and it turns out that our location is unsuitable for such a service resulting in the plan change not going ahead, will I be charged any money? Will it impact my existing service?
Bump.

Fahim S
Exetel Staff

Post by Fahim S » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:52 am

Franpa wrote:
Franpa wrote:Basically I want to know if I apply for a plan that uses AAPT infrastructure (A1 and A2 plans) and it turns out that our location is unsuitable for such a service resulting in the plan change not going ahead, will I be charged any money? Will it impact my existing service?
Bump.
If your service qualification doesn't go through , you won't be any fee and it'll not impact your existing service.

Franpa

Post by Franpa » Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:29 pm

Fahim S wrote:
Franpa wrote:
Bump.
If your service qualification doesn't go through , you won't be any fee and it'll not impact your existing service.
Neat, thank you.