Dropouts in the rain

Connection issues, drop outs or speed related faults for ADSL and ADSL2+ services
jaybee

Dropouts in the rain

Post by jaybee » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:38 pm

I have occasional drop outs (maybe twice a day) where the snr drops to about 6. The modem (Billion 7800NL bought to fix the problem) usually recovers but sometimes requires a reboot.

But when it rains the drop outs can become much worse with the snr dropping to 2 or 1. Rebooting then does not always work but when it does the snr comes up to 9 but only lasts for a few minutes before dropping back to 2.

This is not the end of the world but it would be good to fix it. The problem of course is that the symptom is only persistent when it rains, and then not always, being more likely in heavy rain. Do technicians work in heavy rain?

Cheers

stevecJ
Forum Admin

Re: Dropouts in the rain

Post by stevecJ » Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:10 pm

jaybee wrote:I have occasional drop outs (maybe twice a day) where the snr drops to about 6. The modem (Billion 7800NL bought to fix the problem) usually recovers but sometimes requires a reboot.

But when it rains the drop outs can become much worse with the snr dropping to 2 or 1. Rebooting then does not always work but when it does the snr comes up to 9 but only lasts for a few minutes before dropping back to 2.

This is not the end of the world but it would be good to fix it. The problem of course is that the symptom is only persistent when it rains, and then not always, being more likely in heavy rain. Do technicians work in heavy rain?

Cheers
Hi,

Could you please PM me your service number, so I could check on this for you :?:
To Log a fault ticket, please click click here or alternatively call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)

=================
Exetel Support Portal
=================

jaybee

Post by jaybee » Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:58 pm

pm sent

stevecJ
Forum Admin

Post by stevecJ » Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:10 pm

jaybee wrote:pm sent
Got the PM. I will check on this and get back to you soon.
To Log a fault ticket, please click click here or alternatively call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)

=================
Exetel Support Portal
=================

SajithaH
Exetel Staff

Post by SajithaH » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:13 pm

stevecJ wrote:
jaybee wrote:pm sent
Got the PM. I will check on this and get back to you soon.
As per the conversation we had please contact us when you experience any issues on your line again.
For further reference please quote Ticket ID: 5977026

jaybee

Post by jaybee » Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:55 am

As a commentary that might be useful to others:

I was offered a technician to come and check the line with a charge to me if nothing was found. As the line is fine in dry weather, except for perhaps 10 minutes per day, I calculated that I had a 99% chance of having to pay the call-out fee.

I objected to that and after a while was offered some no cost options and chose the option of calling the help desk during heavy rain when the line becomes pretty much unusable for 30 minutes or more. At that time Exetel will do some line tests that should demonstrate some of the dimensions of the problem and hopefully give some guidance to a technician.

In retrospect it is a pretty obvious option - calling in during the problem.