No internet access and noise on the phone

Connection issues, drop outs or speed related faults for ADSL and ADSL2+ services
nicholastyc

No internet access and noise on the phone

Post by nicholastyc » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:14 pm

Hi all,

I have not used the forum for a long long time.

I was having a pretty low dl speed due to i moved to a new house and it's on the furthest point of the exchange. Luckily, i am able to connect with Exetel, the DL speed was about 2200kbps +/- 200kbps. I am satisfied with that due to the distance from the exchange and hoping NBN will change the structure soon (I am living about 10mins from the CBD, older suburb).

Currently, I am with the 1000Gb DL quota plan with no contract + phone..(Optus line)

This week, i have a constant issue with my line. The dl speed dropped to 100kbps or no connection at all. I still can hear the dial tone with some noise. Hence, I submitted a ticket and the reply i got is a typical "copy/paste" answer from Exetel outsource agent.

Can someone here give me a suggestion? I have Netgear DGND3700v2 modem, normal cordless phone (barely use). I know how to set my modem up and i did the test required correctly. Tried different modem, tried different filter, tried resetting, tried connect from different wall point, tried connect directly without filter and etc. I still can't get any internet connection.

I am quite fed up with Exetel agent typical reply which is there will be $220 charged and bla bla.

Thanks. Hope this can bring some attention to Exetel.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: No internet access and noise on the phone

Post by Dazzled » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:39 pm

Unplug your modem and lift up a phone handset. Do you hear staticky noises on the line? Do you also hear them when you make a phone call? If you do, forget fiddling with modems etc; you have a phone line fault. The best thing to do then is to log a phone fault (not an internet fault) with whoever bills you for the PSTN phone service (likely either Telstra or Exetel). The telcos attend to phone faults fairly promptly. The internet usually is fixed when the phone problem is removed.

The telco line techs charge a call-out fee when they find no line fault, as too many internet problems are not diagnosed prior to calling them. Noisy phones are pretty clear, and are unlikely to be non-line problems. If you want to be certain, use more than one phone handset to test.

That said, your modem can diagnose many line problems - it tests the line when you boot it, and saves the results in its system. But it cannot function in the presence of excessive line noise, which drowns the usually very weak ADSL signal. Modems invariably drop the connection whenever this happens, and may record this in their log.

[edit] You have a bundled plan, so log a phone fault with Exetel.

nicholastyc

Post by nicholastyc » Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:51 am

Thanks Dazzled.

I just rang myself. I picked up the phone and heard a shhhhshhhhhshhhh sound in the background.

I will log a phone fault instead.

Many Thanks.

By the way, can exetel improve their customer service? please attend the issue and not copy/paste the solution.

devindag
Exetel Staff

Post by devindag » Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:56 am

Hi nicholastyc,

I have sent a reply to you via ticket ID 6046143 to your email. Please refer the email.

Thank you.

nicholastyc

Post by nicholastyc » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:08 am

I have confirmed this many times, is this quote will be copy pasted in every Exetel email replied?

"Kindly note that the acceptance for the above mentioned incorrect call out fee ($220) is taken from you as a confirmation that you are confident with your privately maintained equipments. This fee will be charged only if the cause of this reported issue is within your equipments. There will be NO charges if the issue is with the supplier infrastructure. This information is important when escalating this issue to our wholesale supplier. Please confirm this in order for us to proceed."

Can someone please quickly proceed the troubleshooting and restore my internet to normal?

Thank you very much!

Another scenario for fellow Exetel-ers, if the problem found is not my problem, do i get discounted monthly fees? I lost a week without usable internet and a lot of times testing out the modem and others.

Fahim S
Exetel Staff

Post by Fahim S » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:47 am

Hi ,

We've escalated your issue to our wholesale supplier, and I have sent a reply to you via ticket ID 6046143 to your email. Please refer the email.

Thank you.

JanetNCarl

Post by JanetNCarl » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:20 pm

Hello technical support

I need to report that I we also have a problem with our internet, no internet and our phone line is noisy. Currently overseas at the moment, we do have a housesitter and she cannot go online since 18 January 2013. Can you please raise a fault reference number for our phone line?

Regards

Carl and Janet

stevecJ
Exetel Staff

Post by stevecJ » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:44 pm

JanetNCarl wrote:Hello technical support

I need to report that I we also have a problem with our internet, no internet and our phone line is noisy. Currently overseas at the moment, we do have a housesitter and she cannot go online since 18 January 2013. Can you please raise a fault reference number for our phone line?

Regards

Carl and Janet
Hi,

Could you please PM me your service number, so I could check on this for you :?:
To Log a fault ticket, please click click here or alternatively call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)

=================
Exetel Support Portal
=================