VERY slow service 2+ months now

Connection issues, drop outs or speed related faults for ADSL and ADSL2+ services
cazza123

VERY slow service 2+ months now

Post by cazza123 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:40 pm

Hi all,

I've read through a lot of threads on here to try and get some help, but unfortunately I am WAY too tech un-saavy to make much sense of most of it. I've been with Extel about 4 months now, and the first two months were great (which I think is what makes this all the more frustrating!).
My internet has slowed to an absolute crawl 90% of the time, with random pockets of it being fast again here and there but they only last about 30 seconds and are rare. I have the Netcomm NB604N that I purchased through Exetel when I signed up for the ADSL 18000/900 service. All lights on it are fine except the the "www" one which flashes quickly. I've tried re-booting, waiting 15 mins, I have no Foxtel, alarm systems, filers, I've changed the password, and only have the wireless router plugged directly into the wall. I'm unable to do a test plugging it directly into my computer as I have a macbook air which stupidly does not have a port for the cable. When I ring Exetel service, as much as they try to help all they tell me is to try a borrowed modem. I have NO way of getting a borrowed modem except just buying a new one, which I'm happy to do if all signs point to a faulty modem although I can't see that happening as it was only 4 months old and the first two months were great. Should I be asking for someone come out and check the line? Or am I better off buying a new modem? I've done speed tests on those speed test . net websites and the result I get is 0.25 download speed. When it's working well, I get about a 12 download speed. I know this doesn't mean much and I apologise for my serious lack of knowledge, but I'd really like to get this sorted out as I loved my service before, the price is right with Exetel but my internet has become down right unusable.
I'd appreaciate any advice, and if there are any tests I should do I will do them but I might need a bit of a step by step. Thanks in advance, I do realise how annoying I am probably being! :oops:

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: VERY slow service 2+ months now

Post by Dazzled » Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:07 pm

Well something's wrong and nowhere in St Leonards is very far from the exchange. Try running the modem with every other phone related service you have completely unplugged (including filters) and check that the modem cord is short (eg, the one that came with it) and that the modem and cable are both far from any source of radio or electrical interference. Common interference sources are TVs, fridges and particularly some kinds of 12v light fittings.

If it's still crook, post here the line attenuations, rates, and SNR margins as listed in the status section of the modem, and ask the support staff for a line test.

PS If you have an alarm disconnect that from the phone line too for the test.

NIrmitha
Exetel Staff

Post by NIrmitha » Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:45 pm

Hi cazza123,

We have conducted a line test but couldn't find any specific line issue.

However I have sent you an email to your nominated email address. Please complete the troubleshooting and reply us back. :)

cazza123

Post by cazza123 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:29 pm

Thank you NIrmitha, I've emailed you back with the results except for point 3 which I didn't understand how to do, I'll need a bit of guidance.

Dazzled, I've only got the modem plugged into the wall with the cord supplied with the modem. I don't have a phone or Foxtel or anything like that. I did get it away from the TV though, I didn't know that could cause problems. Unfortunately it didn't make a difference.The strange thing is when I do a power cycle, the speeds are back to super fast for about 2 minutes, but then crash right back down.

I'll post back with any results/resolutions when the rep replies, in case anyone else is having this issue.

thanks again!

EroshanJ

Post by EroshanJ » Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:27 pm

cazza123 wrote:Thank you NIrmitha, I've emailed you back with the results except for point 3 which I didn't understand how to do, I'll need a bit of guidance.
Thank you for the information. :D I have replied to your email. Please complete the recommended testing and let us know for further testing.