Provisioning strangeness

Connection issues, drop outs or speed related faults for ADSL and ADSL2+ services
lordvader

Provisioning strangeness

Post by lordvader » Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:12 pm

Hi.
Just a curiosity.
I've recently had a new line installed. Though it's status is still pending, the line is actually active and functional.
On top of that, I've just received an email that a technician will come over to complete the cut over.

Is that really necessary?

udara
Exetel Staff

Re: Provisioning strangeness

Post by udara » Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:10 pm

lordvader wrote:Hi.
Just a curiosity.
I've recently had a new line installed. Though it's status is still pending, the line is actually active and functional.
On top of that, I've just received an email that a technician will come over to complete the cut over.

Is that really necessary?
As per our records the service still seems to be pending form our wholesale suppliers end and is due to be completed on the 1st of May.

Its best that you contact our provisioning team on Monday during business hours to get further information on this :)
To Log a fault ticket, please click Here or alternatively call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)

==============
Exetel Support Portal
==============

lordvader

Post by lordvader » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:05 pm

So I spoke with provisioning.

Seems like the it's something on the supplier end (Telstra or Optus) who's coming over.
I've really got no clue why. The line works, checked my members page, and data is being monitored ...

What could a Telstra/Optus tech possibly do to an already active and functional line ?
I'm more curious if anything now ...

Achala
Exetel Staff

Post by Achala » Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:21 pm

lordvader wrote:So I spoke with provisioning.

Seems like the it's something on the supplier end (Telstra or Optus) who's coming over.
I've really got no clue why. The line works, checked my members page, and data is being monitored ...

What could a Telstra/Optus tech possibly do to an already active and functional line ?
I'm more curious if anything now ...

As per the discussion that I had with you, a short while ago, please e-mail me the result of the CLI test as soon as get home for further investigations

lordvader

Post by lordvader » Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:08 pm

Just an FYI ...

Dialling the provided number for the CLI test actually gave a "please check the number and try again" type message.
Also, dialling my allocated from my mobile phone, though I heard it ringing on my mobile, the physical phone didn't actually ring.

Mayhap the PSTN line isn't provisioned after all ? Strange that my internet is working though ...

Achala
Exetel Staff

Post by Achala » Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:43 pm

lordvader wrote:Just an FYI ...

Dialling the provided number for the CLI test actually gave a "please check the number and try again" type message.
Also, dialling my allocated from my mobile phone, though I heard it ringing on my mobile, the physical phone didn't actually ring.

Mayhap the PSTN line isn't provisioned after all ? Strange that my internet is working though ...

As discussed and agreed, we will await for the tech to visit your premises to check the jumpering and tag the cables for our wholesaler to build the DSL service.

lordvader

Post by lordvader » Wed May 01, 2013 10:18 am

Hi.
Just an FYI that the tech has come by and I now have a properly established line (not piggybacking on someone elses).
However, my DSL speeds are now abysmally slow !

When I was on the "zombie" line, an exetel speed test gave me download speeds of above 750KB/s.
On this line, however, I'm only getting 150KB/s.

udara
Exetel Staff

Post by udara » Wed May 01, 2013 10:55 am

Just an FYI that the tech has come by and I now have a properly established line (not piggybacking on someone elses).
However, my DSL speeds are now abysmally slow !

When I was on the "zombie" line, an exetel speed test gave me download speeds of above 750KB/s.
On this line, however, I'm only getting 150KB/s.
As per the conversation that I just had with you I have escalated this issue to our wholesale supplier for further investigations.

The ticket ID is 6511359 for future reference :)
To Log a fault ticket, please click Here or alternatively call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)

==============
Exetel Support Portal
==============

lordvader

Post by lordvader » Wed May 01, 2013 11:08 am

Thanks for all the work you've been doing by the way ! Really appreciate it.

lordvader

Post by lordvader » Thu May 02, 2013 4:19 pm

Hi.
Just a heads up (I've also sent an email).

An Optus tech came by today to finish up (some tagging/un-tagging thing), and I mentioned the speed issue.
He had a quick look at the copper, and noticed it was rather corroded, so he swapped the copper pair with the other, unused copper pair, and the line speed has improved significantly (exetel speed test is giving about 750KB/s).

I'll keep an eye on it for the next few days, but hopefully you won't here from me again !

KavindaS
Forum Admin

Post by KavindaS » Thu May 02, 2013 4:55 pm

Just a heads up (I've also sent an email).

An Optus tech came by today to finish up (some tagging/un-tagging thing), and I mentioned the speed issue.
He had a quick look at the copper, and noticed it was rather corroded, so he swapped the copper pair with the other, unused copper pair, and the line speed has improved significantly (exetel speed test is giving about 750KB/s).

I'll keep an eye on it for the next few days, but hopefully you won't here from me again !
That is a great news :) . Monitor the service further and let us know if you require further investigation.

lordvader

Post by lordvader » Tue May 14, 2013 8:00 pm

Hi again.

So, on average, my performance has been OK.
Speedtest is giving about 5Mb/s on average.

Looking through my previous runs (which, I beleive were actually piggy backing my neighbours line), I was getting closer to 7Mb/s (peaking at 8Mb/s).
Is there anything else that can be done ?

NIrmitha
Exetel Staff

Post by NIrmitha » Tue May 14, 2013 9:18 pm

Hi lordvader

We have made few changes to your line and could see that its syncing now in a higher rate. :D

Please check the service and let us know if the issue persists.

lordvader

Post by lordvader » Tue May 14, 2013 9:58 pm

Love your work !
Consistently getting abot 6MB/s in speed tests.

Will keep an eye on it, but thanks for the more faster !