ADSL1 vs ADSL2+ congestion

Connection issues, drop outs or speed related faults for ADSL and ADSL2+ services
The Lobster

ADSL1 vs ADSL2+ congestion

Post by The Lobster » Sat May 18, 2013 1:31 pm

Gday all,
I've been having speed and dropout issues at peak times only (6pm to 11pm on weeknights) on my Telstra ADSL2+ connection since the start of the year. Other times it works fine and I easily get 6000kbps down and 1500kbps up. But between 6 and 11pm it's almost unusable most of the time. I've done heaps of testing, and lodged a fault ticket. Exetel couldn't find any issues at their end. They offered to escalate the ticket, but I asked them to close it. This issue has only arisen since I changed from an ADSL1 connection at the end of last year (2012) to my current ADSL2+ connection. My old ADSL1 connection was rock solid 100% of the time.

So for that reason I'm considering changing back to an ADSL1 connection. Is it possible that my exchange experiences more congestion at peak times on ADSL2+ than it does on ADSL1? Or do both connections essentially use the same infrastructure?

Just to be clear, I'm not looking to lodge another fault ticket at this point, I'm just wondering whether changing back to ADSL1 might be a good option for me. I'm happy to have a bit of a drop in speed for an increase in reliability...

thanks

KavindaS
Forum Admin

Re: ADSL1 vs ADSL2+ congestion

Post by KavindaS » Sat May 18, 2013 4:17 pm

The Lobster wrote:
So for that reason I'm considering changing back to an ADSL1 connection. Is it possible that my exchange experiences more congestion at peak times on ADSL2+ than it does on ADSL1? Or do both connections essentially use the same infrastructure?

Just to be clear, I'm not looking to lodge another fault ticket at this point, I'm just wondering whether changing back to ADSL1 might be a good option for me. I'm happy to have a bit of a drop in speed for an increase in reliability...

thanks
Hi,

I have gone through all the notes under your reported ticket reference 6355530. One of the support engineers already assigned to look in to this. Based on the facts you have given, I have advised him to check with the supplier if any network related issues during the time(6pm - 11pm) you have mentioned. We will first check whether we are able to resolve the ADSL 2 issue. If not we will discuss about the plan change.

I beleive the engineer has already spoken to you. Therefore monitor the service and reply back to the email once you complete the requested tests.