sub par ADSAL 2+ DL Speeds

Connection issues, drop outs or speed related faults for ADSL and ADSL2+ services
IcMcNelley

sub par ADSAL 2+ DL Speeds

Post by IcMcNelley » Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:09 pm

Hey guys and gals,

This is my first post on here so please be gentle :)

I have had an account with Exetel for going on a year now in two different locations in North Rockampton, QLD.

I talk to people around me that also get an ADSL 2+ service (not necessarily though Exetel) to get a feel of what i SHOULD expect. They get A LOT better DL/UL than i do generally.

I have been on the phone with the nice people from the support section and, this has been on and off for that one year period, i am going in circles. Of this, I have no doubt.

I will post some independent speed test results, Exetel Speed test results, Ping Tests and some other basic info to help the people that might read this get a better understanding of my situation and, from there, be able to tell me with better knowledge to either shut up and accept OR that there may very well be issues afoot.

Router Stats:
Down - 42045977
Up - 816793
Loop Att - 49

SpeedTests:

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2770585514.png

http://speedtest.ookla.com/result/2176094019.png

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u307 ... edTest.jpg

Exetel Speed Test -- http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u307 ... exetel.jpg <-- Now... i might be WAAAAAAYYY off base here but it is saying that my bandwidth is "10466.8kbps"..... my router says my Down Speed is "4204297" which i thought translated to something like 4mbps??? It looks to me like the Exetel website speed test is blowing smoke up my arse.......... Am i wrong about that???

Ping Test:

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u307 ... ngtest.jpg

Anyhoo... those are the basic tests done and visable to you guys. Let me know what other tests you think i should run to try to give you guys a clearer picture.

Thanks for your time :)

Ian
It is a pity that stupidity is not painful.

KavindaS
Forum Admin

Re: sub par ADSAL 2+ DL Speeds

Post by KavindaS » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:35 pm

IcMcNelley wrote:
Anyhoo... those are the basic tests done and visable to you guys. Let me know what other tests you think i should run to try to give you guys a clearer picture.
Hi,

Welcome to Exetel forum. I will check your service and once I completed the testing, I will email you with the required tests to your nominated email address. :)

IcMcNelley

Post by IcMcNelley » Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:00 pm

Kavindas -- This could not happen soon enough. I don't know if you are running tests that are causing my internet to drop out completely... but that IS whats happening at the moment so..... Solutions soon is good :D

KavindaS
Forum Admin

Post by KavindaS » Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:18 pm

IcMcNelley wrote:Kavindas -- This could not happen soon enough. I don't know if you are running tests that are causing my internet to drop out completely... but that IS whats happening at the moment so..... Solutions soon is good :D
Line tests completed and ticket created under the reference number 6698822. Connection should not drop anymore due to line tests. I will update you via the same ticket as informed earlier.

IcMcNelley

Post by IcMcNelley » Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:16 pm

KavindaS,

Hey, whats been doing??? Havent heard from you or the company i presume you represent today at all... Had any forward movement on the subject as to why the ADSL2+ that i am getting in Rockhampton is sub par?????

I will be asking around the local area for friends and the like to run some speed tests and some ping tests and see if it is a localized problem of if it might be a Rockhampton wide issue.... maybe the lines laid down here when ever they were are now sub quality and not up to the task of dealing with the load of users or the demand they put on them????

If that is the case -- That is certainly not my issue to fix...

I will be interested to find some results :D

PEACE!!!

Ian

IcMcNelley

Post by IcMcNelley » Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:53 pm

Also -- it might not be due to your line tests anymore but i am still having dropouts and, according to my online status... my Up Speed has more than HALVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shape up guys...... and SOON!!!

KavindaS
Forum Admin

Post by KavindaS » Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:59 pm

IcMcNelley wrote:Also -- it might not be due to your line tests anymore but i am still having dropouts and, according to my online status... my Up Speed has more than HALVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shape up guys...... and SOON!!!
I beleive you received the text message I have sent you this morning. Last night I have made few changes to stabilize your connection since it was dropping. Therefore after the changes I cannot see any line sync drops for today. However an engineer will call you shortly to perform the required troubleshooting steps.

IcMcNelley

Post by IcMcNelley » Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:12 pm

mate... what you see on your screen and what is happening in front of me are obviously two very different things aren't they?????

I am getting dinner so he will have to ring me back when i am able to deal with the computer without a mouthful of food and greasy hands.

KavindaS
Forum Admin

Post by KavindaS » Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:18 pm

IcMcNelley wrote:mate... what you see on your screen and what is happening in front of me are obviously two very different things aren't they?????

I am getting dinner so he will have to ring me back when i am able to deal with the computer without a mouthful of food and greasy hands.
Will arrange to contact you after 30 minutes :)

KavindaS
Forum Admin

Post by KavindaS » Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:03 pm

KavindaS wrote:
IcMcNelley wrote:mate... what you see on your screen and what is happening in front of me are obviously two very different things aren't they?????

Will arrange to contact you after 30 minutes :)
Hi Ian,

We have tried to reach you several times on you contact number but no answer. If there is any other contact number, PM me the number so we can contact you on your convenient time.

IcMcNelley

Post by IcMcNelley » Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:01 am

The number i gave you is the only number i have mate and the next convenient time for you or someone from your company to ring me would be at about 13:00 on the 15/06/13.

Not earlier as i will be at work. If someone rings me earlier than that time, i will not answer.

IcMcNelley

Post by IcMcNelley » Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:37 am

Also, i said a little earlier and was ignored... which in itself is pretty awesome..................

according to my online status... my Up Speed has more than HALVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please.... explain to me WHY my connection is steadily getting slower in some parts and NOT improving in others???

asankag
Exetel Staff

Post by asankag » Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:35 am

Hi,

One of our agents will contact you after the given time.
---
Regards,
Asanka | L2 - VoIP Engineer

IcMcNelley

Post by IcMcNelley » Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:11 pm

So... who ever wants to read this is welcome and i HOPE a lot of people do... i truly do.

I had a conversation with an exetel "technician" and let her know what was going on and i let her know a few other things as well... about their online, site based speed test being COMPLETE BULLSHIT and rendering a COMPLETELY BULLSHIT RESULT!!!!

For those that read this, i will demonstrate right now just how FULL OF SHIT it really is and why, WHEN the "technicians ask you to do it, and they will, you are actually far better off trying to give yourself oral pleasure... you will have a better result even if you cant quite get there.

THIS link -- http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u307 ... 062013.jpg <-- this is an online status report i JUST DID -- This checks the modems sync rate and download capacity.

THIS link -- http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u307 ... 062013.jpg <-- This is the result of me doing an exetel provided speed test about 10 minutes later.....

If you take the time to compare these images side by side, you will notice the DownLoad speed is a little different in each photo... the exetel speed test says i have the ability to be downloading at about 6280kbps..... Yes??? Whereas the MODEM CONNECTION TEST... this test shows you the MAXIMUM your MODEM can achieve... it's MAXIMUM download capability is ------------------------>>>>>>> 2848kbps................................. that is almost ONE THIRD the result of what Exetel's speed test shows i am capable of.............. it is also FAR LESS THAN WHAT I AM SUPPOSED TO BE ABLE TO ACHIEVE GIVEN THAT I PAY FOR ADSL2+ BROADBAND INTERNET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THIS IS A QUOTE DIRECLY OFF OF THE EXETEL WEBSITE ALL ABOUT THE "AVERAGE" DOWNLOAD SPEED ACHIEVABLE FOR ITS ADSL2 PATRONS:

"(Average Speed Obtained From 100 Test Users Was 9.5 Mbps Down And 840 kbps Up)." <-- AVERAGE of 9.5mbps down?????????????? Did ALL the 100 people tested live NEXT DOOR to the exchange with BRAND NEW cabling and setups?????? if that is the AVERAGE achieved by using Exetel........ they tell me that i should be happy being WELL UNDER AVERAGE!!!! What shop have you EVER been to that tells you that??? That, even though what you are able to get is WELL BELOW the average... you should still SMILE and say thanks......??? ANY???????????

WHY DO THEY GET AWAY WITH IT?????????????????????????

EXETEL -- HERE IT IS ----- You can either supply me with fast, reliable and good value internet like your MISSION STATEMENT says you do.......

OORRRRRRR

DISCONNECT ME FROM YOUR SYSTEM, REFUND MY MONEY AND DON'T EVER BOTHER ME AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have asked for my internet to get better... to be more stable..... to achieve a reasonable standard of up and download rates...........

EVERY TIME i look at what has been done............... YOU DECREASE WHAT MY ACCOUNT IS CAPABLE OF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YOU ARE DOING THE OPPOSITE OF WHAT I AM ASKING AND YOU DONT EVEN HAVE THE DECENCY TO RING ME AND LET ME KNOW WHAT IS GOING ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YOU HAVE 2 DAYS TO RESPOND WITH SOMETHING THE RESEMBLES FORWARD MOTION OR I WILL LODGE ANOTHER COMPLAINT WITH THE TELECOMMUNICATIONS INDUSTRY OMBUDSMAN.

UP TO YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:08 pm

Admin hat on: I know you're cranky, but can we restrain the phraseology a bit?

Now back to technical stuff: Your modem's line test gives the maximum rate that the exchange and your modem will use to communicate with each other. If your machine is healthy, it's local line dependent, and probably true..

The Exetel speed test can be, as you observe, a bit of a crock, even if widely used by Australian ISPs. After connection, the server sends a Javascript to the user's browser requiring it to obtain the system time. A server side script then reads a 3MB binary data file and echoes the contents to the waiting browser, so that it is received but ignored. Another Javascript command is then sent, to obtain the new elapsed local time. Some Javascript arithmetic then performs the speed calculation, before it is displayed. It looked like a good idea once, a long time ago, but it isn't now. It is unrealistic to expect a current browser to instantly get the time; and only then wait for a server-side read and download to complete, to receive what amounts to a very large binary comment; and only after that instantaneously read the time. It is a actually test of the way browsers execute Javascript. The results are modest at best for FF, and atrocious for Opera. Most browsers I have tested (half a dozen of them) lie between these two.

A much better download test is to use purpose designed downloading software (not your browser) to get a large-ish file (3 to 5 MB at least) from a very fast server co-located with Exetel (ie, very close on the network) - an Akamai server, such as microsoft.com. This really will read the system clock directly from the OS, then do the download, and again read the clock. I use wget and axel, but there are others to suit every OS. This type of test cannot exceed modem line speed, but can pickup a problem if data is being delayed at the exchange.

Another surprisingly good download test is a to get a torrent that is extremely well supported, provided that you have a properly set-up client. I usually recommend Deluge. Major Linux software releases, such as the current release of Ubuntu, are the preferred targets.

The most useful ping test for a local problem is just to Exetel, repeated several times in succession.