Phone static and reduced modem DSL speed

Connection issues, drop outs or speed related faults for ADSL and ADSL2+ services
squeakytown

Phone static and reduced modem DSL speed

Post by squeakytown » Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:41 pm

Hi,

Starting this morning I have been experiencing very slow internet.
I found the modems normal DSL speed greatly reduced to 876/541 (normal is approx 4700/800).
Each time I reboot the modem, a diffent speed is set, but the best its got to is 1600/600.
I have also now notice the phone has a large amount of static on the line (yes there is a filter).

The setup I am using has been in use for years.
I have tried disconnecting all devices (phone and computers), and powered the modem (nb6 4w) for 10 minutes and restarted.
Same slow connection DSL is found. I have tried a backup modem and the same slow speed is set.

Thanks

Kaushalya
Exetel Staff

Re: Phone static and reduced modem DSL speed

Post by Kaushalya » Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:21 pm

Hi,

Starting this morning I have been experiencing very slow internet.
I found the modems normal DSL speed greatly reduced to 876/541 (normal is approx 4700/800).
Each time I reboot the modem, a diffent speed is set, but the best its got to is 1600/600.
I have also now notice the phone has a large amount of static on the line (yes there is a filter).

The setup I am using has been in use for years.
I have tried disconnecting all devices (phone and computers), and powered the modem (nb6 4w) for 10 minutes and restarted.
Same slow connection DSL is found. I have tried a backup modem and the same slow speed is set.

Thanks
I have sent you an email with some instructions to perform a line test since it is too late to contact you. Let us know of a suitable time to contact you or reply to the email when you are ready for the test. Your case reference is 6785997.

squeakytown

Post by squeakytown » Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:47 pm

Given the number of views on this post I thought I would provide an update of the resolution.

Had to wait four weeks for technician due to backlog of NBN issues...

Telstra turned up on date/time as provided, listened to the phone cracking away, jumped in his van went back to the local exchange, 5 minutes later phone rang - no static and Internet back to full speed.

Something had been done at the exchange end which caused all the problems...

KavindaS
Forum Admin

Post by KavindaS » Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:34 pm

squeakytown wrote:Given the number of views on this post I thought I would provide an update of the resolution.

Had to wait four weeks for technician due to backlog of NBN issues...

Telstra turned up on date/time as provided, listened to the phone cracking away, jumped in his van went back to the local exchange, 5 minutes later phone rang - no static and Internet back to full speed.

Something had been done at the exchange end which caused all the problems...
Thanks for the update. Checking through the supplier notes, tech have fixed joint issue.