Every time it rains I lose sync

Connection issues, drop outs or speed related faults for ADSL and ADSL2+ services
lithius

Every time it rains I lose sync

Post by lithius » Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:15 pm

Hi, as per topic title I can be using my net fine all day, then within a few minutes of some decent rain I will lose sync and connection drops out. If I restart the router again I can usually re-sync and use the net again. I am assuming it's some dodgy insulation in a pit or conduit somewhere..

Is there any way I can get Exetel to look into this, or do I have to speak directly with Telstra?

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: Every time it rains I lose sync

Post by Dazzled » Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:33 pm

It's quite common for the goo-filled canisters at the joins in the street pits to admit water, with consequent electrical troubles on the phone line.

Sometimes you can locate the trouble by using your modem in the same way the techie uses his instrument (use the telnet interface to recover the modem test data for all frequencies) but that's essentially an academic exercise.

The best thing to do is report a phone fault to the company that bills you for the phone service. If Exetel does that, email support as soon as it happens and they may be able to test the line, and request a fix straightaway.

The long term solution is usually the replacement of the pit connection by Telstra Wholesale .

nuranj
Exetel Staff

Re: Every time it rains I lose sync

Post by nuranj » Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:34 pm

lithius wrote:Hi, as per topic title I can be using my net fine all day, then within a few minutes of some decent rain I will lose sync and connection drops out. If I restart the router again I can usually re-sync and use the net again. I am assuming it's some dodgy insulation in a pit or conduit somewhere..

Is there any way I can get Exetel to look into this, or do I have to speak directly with Telstra?
--
Please note that we have sent a separate email to your nominated email address requesting for more details under the case ref 6872955. Could you please kindly respond to us via that email so we could investigate this issue further?