New connection info

Connection issues, drop outs or speed related faults for ADSL and ADSL2+ services
squeakytown

New connection info

Post by squeakytown » Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:41 pm

Hi,

Got a new adsl2/telephone bundle plan with exetel and was after some advice for my understanding what the issues might be.
While the phone connection has been in place for 80 years, this is the first adsl connection.
Exetel have run through all the normal tests and can find no issues.
Ps. A fault has been raised and assigned to Telstra...

Modem was tested on another exetel service to confirm it works and all details were correct.

At new location there is no line static on the phone. Adls splitter is in place.
At first we had no adls light but after a couple of hours the light does go solid green. Modem Indicates max downstream is 64.
Internet works very slowly and the crc errors get to 10,000 rather quickly with very little traffic.

If the line is tested by exetel again or I power off the modem we lose the adls light for a couple of hours again.

Just want some thoughts from those who know what might be the issues to help me deal with the technicians when they come.

Thanks
Dave

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: New connection info

Post by Dazzled » Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:55 pm

It's a bit hard without testing the line in house, although your modem does just that if you can read its telnet interface. 80 years raises some suspicions though - are there any old time fittings or bells connected, or any long but dead taps to unused extensions? You sometimes see some dreadful sights under old floors.

ps: There's a newer message on another thread - it appears to have been fixed.

squeakytown

Re: New connection info

Post by squeakytown » Sat Aug 31, 2013 1:20 pm

Hi,

The other thread was at a different location - I get look after our surf club Internet as well.
The club is 80 years old but recently completely renovated with new wiring so I am hoping all is good.

I have never experienced the situation with the modem and I am not as familiar with the to-link modem exetel now provide.