Charged $220 incorrect call out fee.

Connection issues, drop outs or speed related faults for ADSL and ADSL2+ services
Leon2

Charged $220 incorrect call out fee.

Post by Leon2 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:07 am

Hi, im posting here as the call centre staff have been unable to resolve my issue. Sorry for the length of the post but its a long story and i want to get all the details down.

Firstly some backgroud info - I am a new exetel customer and have been connected for 2 months now and generally it has been a positive experience. I am on an Optus dslam, sync at 3Mbit, have just purchased a new router (Billion 7800NXL) and according to adsl2exchanges.com.au i am 2985m from my exchange with an estimated cable length of 3731m. I do not have a foxtel service or monitored alarm.

On 29/8 i noticed that my connection was very slow so i logged into my router and discovered that i was only syncing at 0.5Mbit. After numerous reboots I went through all the usual isolation tests (router directly plugged into phone socket, try different phone sockets etc) and then tried 3 other routers i own and they all struggled to get any sync above 1Mbit.

On 30/8 i phoned exetel tech support and they organised for an optus technician to come out and check the line for faults.

On 4/9 the optus technician came to my house and ran some line tests from my phone socket and the junction in the roof and he claimed that his modem could get a sync of "just under 1.5Mbit" and this was sufficient given my distance from the exchange. It is my understanding that Telstra will not even connect a new ADSL service if you cannot achieve a sync of 1.5Mbit or greater as this falls under their minimum standards for ADSL. I pointed out to him that prior to the issue i was syncing at 3Mbit and that i firmly believe there is a fault somewhere between my house and the exchange. He agreed there might be and i should get telstra to check the line but he could not escalate the issue any further. I also pointed out to him that i have tried 4 routers in total including a brand new Billion 7800nxl (i had them all out on the desk so he could see) and he assured me he would make a note of that, however i was still suspicious that he was going to attribute my issue to a faulty router.

On 6/9 My issue was still not resolved and i was still syncing at 0.5Mbit (sometimes 0.8Mbit) but exetel was advising me to check my equipment and the ticket will be closed. I borrowed a 5th router from a friend to try one last time and still i could not sync above 0.8Mbit. I called exetel support and eventually they agreed to organise a technician to come and check my line on 11/9.

On 9/9 I came home from work and checked my router and low and behold i was syncing at 3Mbit again. I changed nothing on my hardware during the day - I was at work. I have no idea how the issue was fixed but i speculate that because it was a business day maybe a telstra tech was working at the exchange or another issue along the line and found a fault and repaired it coincidentally.

On 10/9 I rang exetel to advise them the issue had been resolved and to cancel the scheduled technician for the following day. The lady i spoke to was very helpful and advised me she would close the ticket straight away. So now i was happy and prepared to put this behind me and move forward with a functioning connection again. 5 minutes later i got an email regarding the closed ticket saying i will be charged a $220 incorrect call out fee relating to the technician who visited my house on 4/9 as he claimed i had a faulty modem. The detail were as follows:

CUS - No Fault was Identified on the Optus ULL Network
CPE - Customer Premise Equipment
CPE - Customer Premise Equipment
INO - Fault was restored due to Interference Investigation

Additional Clearance Details:* An Optus interference technician has attended and found no fault on the ULL network.

Diagnosis: Technician attended on 04/09 at 11:34am and found the End Users modem is faulty causing slow speeds.

I strongly object to this diagnosis as this was definitely not a faulty modem issue, i tried 5 routers in total including a brand new Billion 7800NXL aswell as the fact the technician himself could only achieve a sync rate of "just under 1.5Mbit" with his modem which i assume is tweaked to achieve the maximum possible sync rate from the copper lines. Of course if his modem could sync at my normal speed of 3Mbit then it was an issue with my hardware but the fact that he was only achieving half my normal sync rate speaks for itself. I honestly believe there was a fault somewhere along the line to the exchange. I understand there is some ambiguity as to how exactly the line issue was resolved but i think it may be an issue with the layers of Telstra ----> Optus -----> Exetel not communicating to each other effectively.

I tried explaining this to the tech support guys on the phone but they were not interesting in escalating any further and kept telling me to get my internal wiring checked. Can any exetel reps here look into this as i honestly do not believe i should have to pay $220 for the incorrect call out fee.

Thank you.

lasithah
Exetel Staff

Re: Charged $220 incorrect call out fee.

Post by lasithah » Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:16 am

Hi Leon,

We will have to get this checked with the supplier and there was no technician scheduled after the initial appointment and there is no change in the state of your line from the day that the issue was reported till now. However we will keep you updated once we get this investigated internally. 8)

Leon2

Post by Leon2 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:36 pm

OK thank you :)

Leon2

Post by Leon2 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:28 pm

lasithah wrote:and there was no technician scheduled after the initial appointment
I have copied and pasted this text message from my phone relating to the second technician visit scheduled after the initial appointment on 4/9.

Received Exetel (Unknown) 6 Sep 2013 17:55:23 Exetel Update -A field technician has been scheduled on 11/09 during 0800 - 1200. Please be in attendance to grant necessary access for the field technician. A call out fee may apply if you or persons living at your premises are not in attendance or if the field technician is prevented from accessing the premises. If you require a change to the scheduled field visit, please contact Exetel as soon as possible. Phone: 0280301000 / 1300788141 Select Option #2. Ref No 7052509

angelos
Exetel Staff

Post by angelos » Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:58 pm

Leon2 wrote:
lasithah wrote:and there was no technician scheduled after the initial appointment
I have copied and pasted this text message from my phone relating to the second technician visit scheduled after the initial appointment on 4/9.

Received Exetel (Unknown) 6 Sep 2013 17:55:23 Exetel Update -A field technician has been scheduled on 11/09 during 0800 - 1200. Please be in attendance to grant necessary access for the field technician. A call out fee may apply if you or persons living at your premises are not in attendance or if the field technician is prevented from accessing the premises. If you require a change to the scheduled field visit, please contact Exetel as soon as possible. Phone: 0280301000 / 1300788141 Select Option #2. Ref No 7052509
Hi Leon,

This issue has been forwarded to our Wholesale supplier for further investigations.

We currently have a ticket open for you under the reference number : 7090395

We will provide you an update through that ticket once we receive an update.

Leon2

Post by Leon2 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:55 pm

Thank you for looking into this.

Leon2

Post by Leon2 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:22 pm

For anyone that is interested, i got an email from Exetel tech support today saying that the $220 call out fee stands as my "modem at the end of an extension cable was failing" despite 5 different modems replicating the same issue. I will accept this and pay this time however i now know not to get a technician sent out next time, it will be cheaper to spend $100 and churn to TPG.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:37 pm

Leon2, I don't know anything about your situation other than what you have said above, but when you mentioned an extension cable bells started ringing. Long phone cables to a modem are a regular disaster. They are an unshielded parallel pair that have almost been designed to pick up interference, which is noise when seen by the modem. Try the setup with a short cable.

Leon2

Post by Leon2 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:05 pm

Dazzled wrote:Leon2, I don't know anything about your situation other than what you have said above, but when you mentioned an extension cable bells started ringing. Long phone cables to a modem are a regular disaster. They are an unshielded parallel pair that have almost been designed to pick up interference, which is noise when seen by the modem. Try the setup with a short cable.
The "extension cable" referenced by exetel is the standard phone cable that comes bundled with a router - about half a metre or so. My router is literally 30cm away from the phone port with said cable plugged in.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:40 pm

OK thanks. Bells are silent again.

autron

Post by autron » Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:10 pm

Leon2 wrote:For anyone that is interested, i got an email from Exetel tech support today saying that the $220 call out fee stands as my "modem at the end of an extension cable was failing" despite 5 different modems replicating the same issue. I will accept this and pay this time
That's really an unacceptable response from Exetel. They need to provide proof that your modem was failing, given that their technician's modem was unable to make the minimum standard of 1.5Mbps then there should be no fee levied.

Leon2

Post by Leon2 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:17 pm

autron wrote:
Leon2 wrote:For anyone that is interested, i got an email from Exetel tech support today saying that the $220 call out fee stands as my "modem at the end of an extension cable was failing" despite 5 different modems replicating the same issue. I will accept this and pay this time
That's really an unacceptable response from Exetel. They need to provide proof that your modem was failing, given that their technician's modem was unable to make the minimum standard of 1.5Mbps then there should be no fee levied.
I agree, but I don't know what else to do, the fact that 5 modems replicated the same problem has never been addressed. The tech that came to my house wasn't even an Optus tech, he was a third party contractor wearing a "tech2home" uniform like those people Harvey Norman use to install home theatres and tv's etc. He was polite and a nice guy but as soon as he saw he could get a basic sync with his modem he wanted to get out of here pronto, despite me telling him "just under 1.5mb" is half my normal sync rate :?

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:39 pm

Leon2, I still don't know the details of your case, I'm just the forum admin, but it seems to me you wish to show that your modems aren't the problem; rather there is a line problem that hasn't yet been noticed by the carrier. Admittedly I'm a tech type, but if I were in your shoes I'd now be interrogating the modem for the line test data it already holds - your answer might be there.

Warning: This Is very technical but if you can manage it you may find it useful.

Modems are simple, very stripped down (to the point of missing most utilities) Linux terminal-based machines. If you log in on the telnet interface (eg telnet 192.168.1.1) and execute whatever help command is provided (often just "?") you should be able to get the data for HLog, QLN, SNR, and BPT. Some brands hide this stuff from users but TP-Links, Dynalinks, and the like make it easy. For some Billions and Netgears you might need a command line manual, but the info is always stored. Eg, for a Dynalink and some others the command to use is: adsl info --SNR etc. Just adsl lists a help message.

You'll usually get a long stream of numbers for each of the ADSL frequencies. Graphing the tables using whatever software you have makes the next bit a lot easier.

Interpreting these is engineering stuff, but some help is available from sites like http://www.elnex.pl/product/attachment/ ... ss-TPS.pdf. Other test instrument makers have online help as well. There's info about the frequencies and bits per tone etc at http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/adsl_technology.htm and related pages.

If the tests seem significantly abnormal, perhaps inform the engineer looking into your problem.

Don't take this as trying to make you do your own servicing. It's simply what I would do personally when the problem seemed to defy explanation.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:30 pm

I hunted around and found an example for any who are interested -- this is from a family member's modem a year ago; there are some noise problems at several distinct frequencies (some sources turned out to be internal to the home) from a line that was then getting 9000 Kbps.
Attachments
bpt.png
bpt.png (908.25 KiB) Viewed 44878 times

Leon2

Post by Leon2 » Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:38 pm

Thanks for your interest and the information Dazzled, I will have a play around with telnet tomorrow.