Charged $220 incorrect call out fee.

Connection issues, drop outs or speed related faults for ADSL and ADSL2+ services
Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: Charged $220 incorrect call out fee.

Post by Dazzled » Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:29 am

There are gnuplot plot pause techniques-

1) If you run the commands from a gnuplot prompt, make the last line a pause command: pause -1 is indefinite.

2) When the whole thing is shell scripted, use a command line argument: gnuplot -persist plot.cmd for an indefinite wait. Exiting the gnuplot display terminal will allow the script to complete. Ctl-c in the invoking terminal will behave as usual.

If the output were to be drawn in a GUI, you need to communicate presses on both the Cancel button, and the cross icon on the window frame, to a handler to clean up. It's often easier to code this sort of thing in a Python script. That's really for another day and thread. In the Linux/Gnome usage meter I published in the forum there is a bash script for the data acquisition combined with a little Python for the GUI control.

(PS Now is the time to show your wife a safer OS. I look after a few people's systems. They get one clean only, and then they are on Linux Mint, no ifs, no buts. They quickly adapt, and none would go back).

seaeagle

Post by seaeagle » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:15 am

My wife has tried to use my PCLinuxOS KDE and that confused her a fair bit because she could not really see the difference as she started with an open Opera session. The multi desktop she has not discovered yet. The basic programs we need on the XP is: Magic Mail Monitor, Opera, Open Office and the Oziexplorer Navigation program on occasion multimedia players.

One item that jumped out of mid air yesterday. We were looking at a Plant and Disease Information, a CD/DVD offered for a fee and needs registration, it only seems to run on Windows. Have not found out for sure yet if it needs Internet access for practical operation. Just a bit of annoyance but for these two example programs<Navigation Program and Plant and Diease DVD, for the time being we could dual boot so that Internet access only on the Linux OS. The XP can then run without all the malware protection. As a matter of fact the XP desktop already dual boots to a number of small test Linux installs, it is just that Windows is the primary boot up.

I "borrowed" the PC when I was really desperate with a linux problem that took 2 years to finally track down. It was just because I ran over 20+ partitions that it occured on for me nobody else could replicate problem, getting nostalgic here, finally discovered a partition limit somewhere set to 10, the limit now set to 100, back on track. Yes we are going in the Linux direction, need no convincing. :)

I have been bug chasing and tried item 2) in your last post. Now it works the treat from my point. Single button press and probably 15 seconds later the graph jumps on the screen. The konsole is ready to go for another shot. I was so pleased when I got it working first time that I filled the screen with 9 shots one after the other. Ah yes gnuplot --persist plot.cmd or gnuplot -p plot.cmd this perplexed me for 30 seconds

Also experimented with automatic saving of the files so the pictures can be recreated at a later date if need be. Mainly for educational bash programming point of view. During this I found an odd problem, the output from nc:

Code: Select all

....| nc -t 192.168.1.1 23 | tail -n +2 > "ySNR"
I tried to run this without the tail statement, to get the full content of the call, worked fine but in this case the modem has a string of un recognizable characters which renders the file type unknown and makes it harder to open with kwrite and worse hangs my super duper text editor :cry: , this is why I dismiss the 2 first lines with the above line of code. The resulting file can then be grepped for Max: and Channel:

Had a vague go at using pdf printing, not successful and looked like something I have seen before but you had some extra information that I don't think I tried some years ago. Will be back trying again.

The single action graph production now should be correct, the bit loading file from a bad line got stuck in plots that followed (my programming mistake) here is an example.
Attachments
131211-gnuplot_y_adslinfo_develop_17.png
131211-gnuplot_y_adslinfo_develop_17.png (15.01 KiB) Viewed 51459 times
Last edited by seaeagle on Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:31 am

Oziexplorer is the only one I can't think of a direct substitute for off the top of my head, although there are many open source GPS navigation apps around and some research will probably find something suitable. Opera and OO are Linux applications anyway. You'd be hard pressed to find a better media player than VLC, but mplayer and a host of others are also in the usual distros. A Mint box will play nearly anything by default.

I loathe data CDs and DVDs driven by included Windows exe files. It is simply sloppy work. (A bit like the ATO who spent big to make an etax website that only worked for Windows and then spent big again to make an Apple equivalent - a programmer could be very rich for a tenth of what these cost, to do the job right the first time).

Something else that might intrigue you is Geexbox - http://www.geexbox.org/. Extremely small (150 odd MB that includes the OS!), and can play all sorts of media even from a live USB stick. Put the media on the stick as well and off you go.

netcat isn't telnet - it works at a more general level and shows you part of what telnet would not show. See http://mars.netanya.ac.il/~unesco/cdrom ... de300.html You likely received four 3 byte groups, each commencing with FF hex (255 decimal). tail +n removes them as well. GUI word processors don't get on with these chars.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:32 pm

I have posted my own modem line test tool at viewtopic.php?f=284&t=40703. It's a personal use quickie - improvements would be appreciated.

seaeagle

Post by seaeagle » Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:12 am

I have had a quick look at your test tool, finding that it was not too hard to follow the expect code. I will get to try the expect a little later I hope.

Oziexplorer we have invested so much time in that I think we are unlikely to change to anything else, I think I can safely say over hundreds of hours but we were motivated. Some good stories belong to those times. On this DVD/CD mentioned I think we stumbled on a government site which can replace the DVD so we are back on Linux can be used here. We will register and see.

Geebox does look interesting.

Funny took a long time before I started suspecting that perhaps it was netcat adding those odd characters, I did flip my text editor into hex mode long ago but no bells went off. You were spot on with the three byte groups, taken together with your link I have decoded the meaning. Not found out when exactly my text editor gets into a knot, sometimes it is no problem. This will have to wait.

I am re-arranging my test program slightly. Introdusing a "datestamp" in the filename by setting a variable: vardate= "`date`" and I then save my modem data files with that in the name. Example the output of nc for the Bits is saved in yBits file then I strip the header so gnuplot can use the new file named with the "stamp"

tail -n +11 < yBits > "yBits-$vardate"
For each run I then get a group of files from which I can re-generate a run.

I have a problem when I go to plot with the last line in the script file:

gnuplot -p y_adslinfo_build.cmd
On a first run, how can I pass the vardate to the command file? On a regeneration run I will need to somehow add the vardate a different way, initially it probably will be manually copy and paste to the command file.

My brain seems to have a blank, guess it is too late. So ZZzzz... for me again.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:15 am

Getting the variable date stamped file name into the plot commands can be done. After all copy/paste is only passing stuff through a clipboard. One obscure way would be to take advantage of Linux's handling of standard input and <filename into gnuplot. The commands file would then plot "/dev/stdin". This sort of thing tends to be hard to maintain, and I'd avoid it.

Clearer would be to take advantage of the command line arg -e which lets us place plot commands in the shell command line, eg: gnuplot -e "set xyz". This gets helpful when we remember current gnuplot versions support user defined string variables in commands, eg:
gnuplot -persist -e "filename='xyz.dat’" plot.cmd in the shell script, and
plot filename in plot.cmd.

Windows users can install both gnuplot and select, BTW. Telnet is there already. The difficulties come from the limited batch file system.

seaeagle

Post by seaeagle » Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:40 pm

......gnuplot -persist -e "filename='xyz.dat’" plot.cmd in the shell script, and
plot filename in plot.cmd.
This seemed very logical, but I did not succeed when wanting to use a construct like: "yQLN-$vardate" as xyz.dat and ypQLN as filename, I gave up when I realised that all I needed to do was to bypass the use of variable in the filename.

cp  "yQLN-$vardate" ypQLN 
Repeat this for Bits, SRN, Hlog, I think it works because today I downloaded the a Quarterly update ISO about total of 2.3 GB, I pulled out the phone and remembered get a snaphsot before and after download.

Careful examination will show a little bit more Bit loading, the improvement is about 100 kB/s. From 250 kB/s to 350 kB/s which I appreciate with my line situation.
Attachments
131213-gnuplot_y_adslinfo_develop_19_before_after.png
131213-gnuplot_y_adslinfo_develop_19_before_after.png (18.63 KiB) Viewed 51177 times

seaeagle

Post by seaeagle » Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:05 am

In the back of my mind I had to get back and check on the 'archiving' a thread/topic. A few years back now when very active for a period on the PCLinuxOS forum there were certain topics with very interesting technical and specific information, an absolute must for a beginner like me. As forum regularly gets pruned during maintenance you would loose this information unless making a copy.

I tried to find a method to concatenate html files, as I would have liked to retain the formatting and the complete thread/topic as one bigger file. I found a little bit of research material, a few people with programming experience in html etc had attempted this but found it difficult to come up with a universal solution.

When using Opera I had discovered that PCLinuxOS forum has "Print" button, using this "Print" would on PCLinuxOS forum display the full topic in one neat file, this file could be saved in various html formats as well. It was almost perfect bar one thing, most of the colourful formatting is stripped off. On topics well over 10 pages this saved "Print" file is great for searching.

Printing to pdf, I found had poor page layout when especially when "bundling" into one file. Some of this came back to me when I went back and looked at your suggestion in:

viewtopic.php?f=284&t=40493&start=135#p307319

The individual pages printed quite neatly to a pdf file, in this case I believe it was the Cups-PDF printer (I have had some confusion between pdf versions available for use in CUPS) on this particular OS I believe I only have the basic CUPS installed, I can check when I do a new install soon on the XP machine.

What I did not realise, it seems that such a file when opened with Okular in my case, this pdf file is no longer searchable. I tried to open it in Opera but it would not load. I checked the first 3 lines in the file, Looked as a real pdf file. I think I am facing too much work and will drop the attempt, seems easier just to archive each page individually. As long as it is part of forum the thread can then be searched here. (Found it worked well when I discovered the option) :)

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:36 am

With bash, you have to watch how expressions get expanded.

Versions of cups-pdf are well known for assuming you want input for an ink printer and can omit text features during creation that would make words searchable in the file. Most distros have a solution, so a search should provide something. It isn't a problem for other pdf drivers, eg Open/Libre Office.

Some articles well worth a read that discuss line conditions are at:
Part 1 http://www.eetimes.com/document.asp?doc_id=1277268
Part 2 http://www.eetimes.com/document.asp?doc_id=1203659

Your plots show a pronounced low frequency roll-off in Hlog, and on the right, a dip at about 730 kHz. QLN shows the AM stations. Interestingly the low frequency peak (maybe an airport?), is intermittent. But cop the high frequency added noise in the left hand chart. Reduced bit loading inevitably follows.

seaeagle

Post by seaeagle » Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:11 pm

Looks like I am having a bit of time out from this as I have got stuck in some Linux problems. I decided to download a lightweight PCLinuxOS called MATE with view to install on an older Toshiba laptop as a backup for use over Xmas. My nose for finding problems did not fail me. Be back later. :D
Last edited by seaeagle on Sun Dec 22, 2013 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:04 pm

I wondered where you had gone. MATE (say it in Spanish) is a fork of Gnome 2 and is quite unlike KDE. I can't recall a window system giving me a problem with a laptop, but it would be a good idea to look at the boot config for Grub (I've had to add noapic more than once with laptops).

seaeagle

Post by seaeagle » Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:27 am

Well I never expected that I would be delayed this much. One thing led to another and my internet speed has behaved quite well so the focus has gone elsewhere. I have however not forgotten this thread at all. With winter approaching there should be more indoor time showing up and I will be back.

Today it is a bit miserable with overcast sky and rain so I was doing a bit of admin work on the computer and decided to do a short post. :D

The sidetrack working the PCLinuxOS version MATE led to LXDE and funny enough Linux Mint too, I have not succeeded making the little Samsung N210 as comfortable to use as I had expected. The problem is the the small screen of 1024x600, I believe it is just too small but my wife battles on. My exeperimentation as such has stopped on the N210, I am considering adding some more memory and perhaps try the KDE64 version plus external monitor. (Wife not keen on that idea, so for 'real work' she is on the desktop)

One interesting aspect was my effort to use Bluetooth, which was new to me, I happened to have an Galaxy V phone sitting in a box, which I started testing on. Just happened to be one of the worst phones for testing BT because I was after the use of file exchange. I think I misunderstood the use of FTP and it eneded up being an interesting and lengthy exercise. The long and short there is a problem with the phone model and the use of OBEX FTP.

In my case it was partly solved with installing and application that addresses this problem. This was my last exercise and I was starting to be concerned about the time spent trying to figure out this particular problem.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:38 pm

Welcome back. I've been off for a couple of days also.

A possible solution for that small screen Samsung might be Easypeasy Linux http://www.geteasypeasy.com/, or even a version of Ubuntu Netbook Remix or a modern Ubuntu. These basically only show the window you have active in the whole screen, and iconify the others. I have had Easypeasy running on an Asus EEE with that tiny screen for some time without problems. It's used when travelling, mainly browsing, email, and Open Office, and has a VoIP softphone installed. Most netbooks seem to have something odd about the hardware, often wireless, and you can usually find a solution for any eccentricity.

seaeagle

Post by seaeagle » Sat Jan 30, 2016 8:38 pm

Well, well it is a long time since I was here. The little program that was made to interrogate the line qualities has done a great job. I am recording here so I have an easy archive copy.

Today I was having trouble getting the link signal from the exchange so I started up the program to see what was going on. Turned out that I did have trouble with my linefilters again, this is a recurring item, say approximately every 6 month. Replace it with another one and it works again. Have never managed to figure out what is going on but one day I might split one open and check it out.

One of the filters, an old one that has been used several times after a 'rest' period, today it plays havoc on the line, the Bit Loading simply fails to fill in. Another filter put in and it work ok with one phone, normally I have two phones connected, so I am on line.

Now the bit loading columns seem to have been halved, and the connection speed about 48 kB/s that is a wee bit into the land of Dialup speed. I think this has been going for about 12 hours perhaps longer as we were without power after lightning knocked out the HT fuses on the pole transformer nearby. We have also had a lot of rain in a day or two, from experience I find this does have an effect. I am still hoping that a day or two will see an improvement in connection speed.

Uploading a picture of what looks like a stable connection for too long a time, about 48 kB/s, which is choking when running two desktops. I think I may have some trouble here attaching the pic.
Attachments
160130-16-adsl-line-test-one-phone-filter added-160130time2020.jpg
The bit loading approx half of normal
160130-16-adsl-line-test-one-phone-filter added-160130time2020.jpg (41.22 KiB) Viewed 1766 times

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:19 pm

Hullo again!

It's been so long, forgive me if I take some time to go through this again. I'm glad my bit of coding is still useful.
With the daily storms we have been having, it surprising the ADSL isn't in trouble here.

You have a problem at higher frequencies. No signal.