Slow internet speeds and constant drops

Connection issues, drop outs or speed related faults for ADSL and ADSL2+ services
mightymatt

Slow internet speeds and constant drops

Post by mightymatt » Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:21 pm

Firstly, I will say that I am using a new router. It has been working perfectly fine for the last 2 weeks. There's no issue with the hardware.

I've disabled the WiFi and am running tests under one connection. I'm getting ~6mbps as opposed to the normal ~15mbps. And the connection is completely dropped every 5-10 seconds, for anywhere between 5 seconds and 2 minutes.

Please look into his ASAP. I use this connection for business as well as personal use and it is essential that I have it working correctly by tomorrow.

Thank you.

felix

Re: Slow internet speeds and constant drops

Post by felix » Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:30 pm

you need to lodge a ticket, preferably from your members facility so that it is attached to your service.

it is unlikely that this will be seen by staff until around 8am tomorrow morning, then a ticket will be raised and you will be put into the queue behind everyone else who raised a ticket before you. you should also confirm in the ticket if you have done an isolation test and whether you acknowledge the incorrect callout fee. all of these will streamline your fault.

this forum whilst frequented by the staff, is moderated primarily by volunteers who are customers who cannot lodge a ticket for you.

if you need an SLA on the service, you should probably look at these http://www.exetel.com.au/bga-overview.php as residential plans are best effort SLA only. Also, if this is a line issue rather than a sync or auth issue, it won't get solved tomorrow as a tech visit will need to be scheduled.

mightymatt

Post by mightymatt » Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:34 pm

The last time I posted the same problem on the forum it was fixed quite quickly. And before that I put in a ticket. They ignored everything I said just told me to do certain tests on my router, connections, etc. - completely useless.

I'll take my chances with the forums.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:01 pm

Modem software drops on error, and the confusion is almost always noise imposed on the signal. If the modem is in order, there is a good chance it can be made to tell you what ails it.

Start with the system logs - it's not universal, but there may be a message concerning the drop.
Then look at the usual modem stats, remembering that the 300 kHz band is being reported. (.40PIUT cable attenuates at 13.8 dB per km at 300 kHz and at approx 20 dB/km at twice that frequency).
Then check the error rate.

There's every possibility that the trouble is some sort of interference. Now it gets technical - using the telnet interface recover the HLog, QLN, SNR, and BPT tables, which are the result of the modem's analysis of the line. Graph them. These can pinpoint RF interference and a host of other noise problems. RF is very common if you have unshielded switching power supplies, such as 12v lighting. Even AM radio can be detected by a modem. For the interpretation look up DSL loop analysis, or the websites for test instruments.

This isn't meant to be a geeky joke - the forum has examples of keen users analysing interference like this. See also http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/adsl_technology.htm and http://www.kitz.co.uk/routers/DMTv7.htm for simple stuff for a very limited range of modems.

Or leave it to the support staff, who can usually perform some other tests on the line from their end. If they haven't previously found a line fault I would suspect something within the home.

Arshad Hassim
Exetel Staff

Post by Arshad Hassim » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:17 pm

Hi mightymatt,

An email has been sent to your nominated contact email, kindly go through its contents and reply accordingly :)

Cheers,

mightymatt

Post by mightymatt » Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:04 pm

Whatever you did, it's fixed now. Thank you.

Arshad Hassim
Exetel Staff

Post by Arshad Hassim » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:03 pm

Hi mightymatt,

Glad to know that your issue has been sorted, have a good one! :D

Cheers,