New ADSL plan

Connection issues, drop outs or speed related faults for ADSL and ADSL2+ services
Tafkam

New ADSL plan

Post by Tafkam » Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:40 pm

I've asked this before, but not for a very long time and I'm sure everything's changed since then. I'm still on the old ADSL1 T8-50 plan at $49.50 per month for 50gb @ 8192 speed .

After successfully testing ADSL2 availability by entering my phone number, I see 3 options, 100gb ($39.99), 500gb ($49.99) or unlimited ($59.99).
Above these options is a disclaimer stating:
*This Preliminary Service Qualification Test Result is only a preliminary result of plans available in your exchange. Please note that the service speed that Exetel will deliver to you can vary (ADSL1 in place of ADSL2+) when Exetel submits your order to our wholesale supplier.
What does that mean, exactly? That I might not get ADSL2 even if I sign up for it? Or does it mean there are further tests and I'll be notified if I can't have ADSL2?
I'm wondering because it seems that I'm paying $10 a month more for half as many GBs on ADSL1 as I could be getting on ADSL2. Am I missing something? :oops:
Any advice very much appreciated :)

CLoSeR

Re: New ADSL plan

Post by CLoSeR » Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:58 pm

It just means initial checks based on your FNN state ADSL2 services should be available however this is not confirmed until the order is placed and wholesaler confirms availability.

What's your downstream sync rate on the 8192 service?
Need to log a fault ticket? Go here: https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au/

Tafkam

Post by Tafkam » Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:32 pm

Hi Closer, thanks for your reply :)

According to Ookla, my download speed is 4.08 Mbps

According to Oz Broadband Speedtest:
Your line speed is 3.91 Mbps (3911 kbps).
Your download speed is 489 KB/s (0.48 MB/s). :?

nothing to rave about, huh?

KavindaS
Forum Admin

Post by KavindaS » Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:16 pm

Tafkam wrote:Hi Closer, thanks for your reply :)

According to Ookla, my download speed is 4.08 Mbps

According to Oz Broadband Speedtest:
Your line speed is 3.91 Mbps (3911 kbps).
Your download speed is 489 KB/s (0.48 MB/s). :?

nothing to rave about, huh?
You can view the sync rate when you check the router status page.
Last edited by KavindaS on Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tafkam

Post by Tafkam » Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:20 pm

Hi KavindaS. I'm not sure how to do that? The service doesn't seem all that slow for my purposes. Web pages load straight away, I can stream videos without any problem and downloads aren't too cumbersome. How do I test the service with the support department?

One thing I have noticed...and this has happened before. I can't access the config page for my router, using my usual 192.168.1.254. I tried to access it because my vOIP is not working properly and I wanted to check. I can't remember what I did last time to fix it....maybe a factory reset of the router. Would that affect line speed?

KavindaS
Forum Admin

Post by KavindaS » Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:38 pm

Tafkam wrote:Hi KavindaS. I'm not sure how to do that? The service doesn't seem all that slow for my purposes. Web pages load straight away, I can stream videos without any problem and downloads aren't too cumbersome. How do I test the service with the support department?

One thing I have noticed...and this has happened before. I can't access the config page for my router, using my usual 192.168.1.254. I tried to access it because my vOIP is not working properly and I wanted to check. I can't remember what I did last time to fix it....maybe a factory reset of the router. Would that affect line speed?
If you are unable to getting to the router page means you have a local connectivity issue between the router and the computer. Considering the modem IP address you have mentioned, it seems to be you have a Netgear modem router. If you are using the wireless connection only, you may need to connect the Ethernet cable and try to access the modem.

Contact support department via phone 0280301000 or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au so we can further investigate this.

Tafkam

Post by Tafkam » Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:47 pm

hi again. It's a Billion router, 2 computers connected via cables, and a laptop and other devices (phones, tablets etc) are connected wirelessly. No connection issues at this point. I'll email anyway. Thanks :)

angelos
Exetel Staff

Post by angelos » Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:13 pm

You could try an 'ipconfig' on the command line to check if the default gateway of the router has changed by any chance to a different one. (Happens at times to avoid IP conflicts)

If the default gateway is set to 192.168.1.254 and it still does not work, the Factory reset may help but then you will have to reconfigure it, with all the details and the reset may not have any effect with the sync rates.

However if you are having trouble logging in to the modem, best get the issue checked with Billion.

Tafkam

Post by Tafkam » Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:59 pm

Ok, just to update. The factory reset rendered the thing completely useless, so i suspect the router had just reached its use-by date. Have another one now and speeds are much better and VoIP is up & running again.

So back to the question in the original post.....is there anyone who can advise me regarding changing to the ADSL2 100gb plan?

James
Exetel Staff

Post by James » Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:07 pm

Tafkam wrote:Ok, just to update. The factory reset rendered the thing completely useless, so i suspect the router had just reached its use-by date. Have another one now and speeds are much better and VoIP is up & running again.

So back to the question in the original post.....is there anyone who can advise me regarding changing to the ADSL2 100gb plan?
That plan is only for new customers.

Waughy

Post by Waughy » Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:19 pm

James wrote: That plan is only for new customers.
Any news on when (if) existing customers might have access to these plans? It's gone a bit quiet lately, a few have left, and more of us are considering it. I'm yet to find a suitable plan. Such a shame this company has what I'd like but can't offer it.

James
Exetel Staff

Post by James » Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:50 pm

Waughy wrote:
James wrote: That plan is only for new customers.
Any news on when (if) existing customers might have access to these plans? It's gone a bit quiet lately, a few have left, and more of us are considering it. I'm yet to find a suitable plan. Such a shame this company has what I'd like but can't offer it.
I am not aware of any ETA for the new plans to be made available to current customers.

Waughy

Post by Waughy » Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:28 pm

Thanks James, it's been a fair while now so there is some frustration, which I'm sure you understand. I understand it's a wholesaler issue, hopefully things change soon.

Tafkam

Post by Tafkam » Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:50 am

So where do I find plans that ARE available to existing customers?

Never mind, I found it. It seems unfair that existing loyal customers have to pay almost double for the same plans new people are offered, and still have to pay a plan change fee as well.

James
Exetel Staff

Post by James » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:19 am

Tafkam wrote:So where do I find plans that ARE available to existing customers?

Never mind, I found it. It seems unfair that existing loyal customers have to pay almost double for the same plans new people are offered, and still have to pay a plan change fee as well.
There is no update.