Poor Speeds during wet weather

Connection issues, drop outs or speed related faults for ADSL and ADSL2+ services
JJDisco

Poor Speeds during wet weather

Post by JJDisco » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:47 pm

I've previously reported over the years very poor speeds which the often come good again without anything actually changing. During this wet period in Sydney it has become more apparent to me that these slow internet periods relate to whether it is raining or not (or if we've recently had a large downpour).

I'm currently getting speeds of between 1-5Mbps when normally I achieve speeds of 10-12Mbps. Mybroadband.communications.gov.au suggests that the estimated median speed for my location is 19.56Mbps. I'm getting basically half that on a good day and less than a quarter that on a bad one. I'm about 600m from the exchange at most.

I've done the standard resetting the modem, unplugging everything and connecting a device via cable to the modem. No change. I have 3 laptops and 4 android phones in the home. There is no difference in performance over any of the devices. I have used an alternate modem and again no change to performance. The same modem from home when I took to work (Hurstville) produced speeds of 15-18Mbps consistently. There are no faxes etc on line.

Is it possible that the lines could be checked for water damage during rain? It really seems that the majority of the slow times is only when it rains, or there is residual water around after a downpour - but from the gov site it seems I am still getting poor service.

Thanks in advance

Damien

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: Poor Speeds during wet weather

Post by Dazzled » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:15 pm

It's dried out here now, but I suggest you record your modem lines stats now and during wet weather, and when it's wet again ask residential support for a line check if there is any deterioration. Telstra pits are often affected by water in the canisters that protect the joints, and Telstra does fix the problem when Exetel refers it. The extra noise is usually easily spotted.

Only if you have a technical bent, read on. You can record a great deal more. I think you have a Billion 7800 from past threads here. These can have a Broadcom chipset which can be interrogated as per viewtopic.php?f=284&t=40703. Don't worry about the programming - just telnet in from a terminal/prompt box, then log in, and the command is "adsl" if I remember correctly. Check the help given for arguments when you type it. Arguments --QLN, --SNR, and --Hlog in most modems will give the values for each of these arrays, one value for each frequency bin. Noisy joints will show up prominently in these statistics, and be quite clear if you graph the arrays.

JJDisco

Post by JJDisco » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:41 pm

OK.

So not a real technical knowledge. Went to cmd.exe and typed in telnet and get "is not recognized as an internal or external command ...." same if I add telnet adsl

I'm using Windows 8 (unfortunately) if that makes a difference. Do I need to install a program?

JJDisco

Post by JJDisco » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:56 pm

OK so got telnet working. Can't find "Arguments --QLN, --SNR, and --Hlog" when I use command adsl, or ? etc

angelos
Exetel Staff

Post by angelos » Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:39 am

Is it possible that the lines could be checked for water damage during rain? It really seems that the majority of the slow times is only when it rains, or there is residual water around after a downpour - but from the gov site it seems I am still getting poor service.
I have tested your line but it does not appear to show any issues on it. If you wish to continue further investigations I have created a support ticket for you with the reference number 7661574 but we do not see a drop in actual line sync rates so I cannot confirm if it would be a line issue or not.

JJDisco

Post by JJDisco » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:00 am

I would like this investigated as the speed drops significantly during periods of wet weather.

Something i have also become aware of is that while my service number is attached to my local exchange (Ashfield) my actual home number is attached to the Rockdale exchange. Could this be an additional factor is low speeds?

angelos
Exetel Staff

Post by angelos » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:05 am

Something i have also become aware of is that while my service number is attached to my local exchange (Ashfield) my actual home number is attached to the Rockdale exchange. Could this be an additional factor is low speeds?
I cannot confirm this.
I would like this investigated as the speed drops significantly during periods of wet weather.
An email will be sent to you with some troubleshooting steps shortly to your nominated email address.

Please reply with the results/answers.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:43 am

JJDisco, angelos can test the wet line as above, so that should resolve the problem.

If you want to persist with DIY you missed a telnet interface help command, eg:
> adsl --help
adsl info [--state] [--show] [--stats] [--SNR] [--QLN] [--Hlog] [--Hlin] [--HlinS] [--Bits]

JJDisco

Post by JJDisco » Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:02 pm

angelos wrote:An email will be sent to you with some troubleshooting steps shortly to your nominated email address.

Please reply with the results/answers.
Hi Angelos, I have yet to receive the email.

Damien

kushanw
Exetel Staff

Post by kushanw » Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:31 pm

JJDisco wrote: Hi Angelos, I have yet to receive the email.

Damien
Hi Damien, I have forwarded the same email again to your nominated exemail email address. Please check again.